• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group 1 (Afghanistan, Australia, England, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Ireland)

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
ICC don't have a clue on how to run tournaments..

England have such a big advantage playing the last match , they will know exactly what they need to do to qualify, and if Australia win this match then Sri Lanka cannot qualify no matter what so their motivation to win is less .
Agree totally.

I'm English and obviously want us to go through but for the last group games, all 3 matches should be played at the same time.

Obviously it's done this way for TV, to spread the games out and we're probably playing last for the TV audience in England on a Saturday morning but it's ridiculous really.

Look at the other group - who's playing last - India. Merely a coincidence that India and England are given this advantage - I very much doubt it - money talks.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem is I think you will need more than just to get past England NRR because they have the advantage of playing tomorrow, would need a bit of an advantage over them in NRR fo create some pressure
Well, yes.

I've got no idea what would require England to do more than merely win - probably around 60?

trundler

I don't understand what you meant at all then
Pretending their are dozens of better options just waiting to be discovered is cope. People want KL Rahul dumped but he's still the best IPL bully and whoever replaces him is going to suck harder. Same thing here

TheJediBrah

Pretending their are dozens of better options just waiting to be discovered is cope. People want KL Rahul dumped but he's still the best IPL bully and whoever replaces him is going to suck harder. Same thing here
Dozens might have been an exaggeration, but so was saying that the Afghan openers were better than Starc tbh

Agree with your point though. It's a very common form of cope when the national team is playing poorly to pretend that it's all just because of selection and there are way better players available that just aren't selected

I really think it's true here though lol

srbhkshk

International Captain
Well, yes.

I've got no idea what would require England to do more than merely win - probably around 60?
England's NRR is 0.547 - assuming a 20 over each side game they will maintain that nrr if they win by ~10 runs.

Australia needs to win by ~60 to catch up to that NRR. Need to win by ~75 if they want to have a margin of about ~25 runs on an England win.

TheJediBrah

Any exact cut-off target is kind of pointless given it depends on England's game's results

But it's starting to look like Aus aren't getting ahead on NRR, and just need England to lose. And to beat Afghanistan today of course

trundler

Dozens might have been an exaggeration, but so was saying that the Afghan openers were better than Starc tbh

Agree with your point though. It's a very common form of cope when the national team is playing poorly to pretend that it's all just because of selection and there are way better players available that just aren't selected
Yeah it ties into pretending random FC pros would've averaged 45 in tests.