• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest keeper batsman - Gilchrist or Sangakkara?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, I think the only reason I took the time to look up stats is because I was the dimmest here to realise that it would be a pointless waste of time. That is the third time you have cast doubt on the stats without taking the time to check them out yourself, as if I'd stoop to your level and sprout falsehoods just to prove a point. I'd suggest, instead of mouthing off and defending every erroneous point you have made, that you take some time and do the check yourself, and then.....I don't know, ... maybe just stop defending that point. You don't have to admit you are wrong publicly. Just go silent about the point. That saves face better than making error upon error.
I'm pretty sure I said to you I will check it up when I have the time & never really doubted it, did you miss that post too? Plus I'm quite sure poster Dan suggested you re-check some aspect of what you did also.

Overall I was highlight bias towards poster ***** because obviously didn't do any research as yourself & would obviously take what you said as gospel.

And as I mentioned before, that's stats research even when I do eventually check it (by the way did you use cricinfo stats guru to do it?) - doesn't make anything I said wrong at all regarding bowling standards post 2005.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Did aussie genuinely try to claim Lee bowled well in 2005 Ashes? Along with Gillespie arguably cost Australia series by allowing England to score so freely. Couldn't build up pressure.
No, i said Lee although he had his well known bad spells in Ashes 05 - didn't bowl as badly to average 40 - 35 IMO might have been a better reflection of how he bowled. Also no way was he comparable to how poorly Dizzy bowled in that series who had a sad spectacular fall from grace.

cnerd123

likes this
Overall I was highlight bias towards poster ***** because obviously didn't do any research as yourself & would obviously take what you said as gospel.
I don't know if you recognise me or not...but I collected about 20,000 posts on PC before jumping ship here because the cricket debates here are of higher quality.

I do remember reading and participating in several threads, not sure if here or on PC, discussing Gilchrist's merits as a batsmen. All the usual arguments -downhill sking, not having to have faced his own bowlers, not scoring runs under pressure- have been argued and disproven. In fact, I think I might have even been one of the people who put forward those arguments to begin with (I used to hate the Australian cricket team of the late 90s - early 00s with a burning passion)

So it's not a new topic here that I am entering into with a set of pre-conceived bias. Infact, most members here have had this discussion several times. We aren't just taking Victor Ian's word as gospel. We've done and seen all the research, stats, analysis and reasons before. We are pretty comfortable with our views on him.

We just don't feel it's worth our time to discuss all this with you, because you haven't come here with a genuine curiosity to learn more about whom the greatest keeper/batsman is. You've come here with an agenda, and you are only interested in evidence, arguments and statistics that support your agenda. This isn't a discussion to find the truth for you; this is a debate to be won. As such, interacting with you is meaningless to most of us.

We still do it anyways for the lulz and the cheap likes all the shots at you bring us.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm pretty sure I said to you I will check it up when I have the time & never really doubted it, did you miss that post too? Plus I'm quite sure poster Dan suggested you re-check some aspect of what you did also.

And as I mentioned before, that's stats research even when I do eventually check it (by the way did you use cricinfo stats guru to do it?) - doesn't make anything I said wrong at all regarding bowling standards post 2005.
***** has pulled me up a few times in the past. He has his own mind. You probably think he just agrees with me because in this topic, well, we seem to agree. You tend to make sweeping truisms based on a couple of anecdotal observations. I think we are not the only ones grated by this.

Dan suggested a more enlightening filter of the stats I presented. I agree with his suggestion but unfortunately lack the statsguru skills to filter for it. When I can be bothered I will output the list of 500 batsmen and work the weighted average out to show top 8. (but the lazy half of me keeps hoping one of the stat nerds here will beat me to it :)

Yes, I used stats guru. At it's simplest, I did this from the overall/aggregate tab ... Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo You can then click return to query menu - choose advanced and start restricting bowlers or filter other stuff if you want. Unless you can show I've made a mistake (it's possible) or find a more informative filter that reverses the result (as per Dan's suggestion) I kind of think my stats do make what you have said wrong. You have just made statements. I have shown the results of those statements are not in accord. Nothing more.

Which bowling attack is better? McGrath, Warne, Ponting Gilchrist or Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Jones? You need to consider not just the form of the upper level bowlers, but also the bottom level bowlers. It may very well be that while all those bowlers you mentioned are not in career best form as they are near the end, that the middle and bottom tier of bowlers are. That is my best guess at why the stats showed up the way they did on my simple search. Others might have better reasons to explain them, such as, once again, Dan's suggestion.

Victor Ian

International Coach
tbf, probably worthwhile running those stats again with #1-8 in the order only. Improvements to tail-end batting probably contribute quite significantly to that difference (i.e. I'd expect the statistical output of actual batsmen to have remained relatively static, while the bowlers have improved at playing properly with the bat)
it took a while, but i figured out how to do this and earned my yellow belt in statsguru.

Top 8 batsmen to eliminate effect of improved tailenders*

Span Ave
2000-2005 36.16
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Span Ave
2005-2010 37.47

Span Ave
2010-now 36.87

I've posted the links this time so that anyone can easily check if I've made a mistake (still very possible)

* I also ran the same for pos 1-5 to see how pure batsmen have fared. Same trend only tighter grouping with avg of 40.12, 40.88, 40.51 respectively. So Sangakkara's heyday seems to be definitely easier skiing than Gilchrist's.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, i said Lee although he had his well known bad spells in Ashes 05 - didn't bowl as badly to average 40 - 35 IMO might have been a better reflection of how he bowled. Also no way was he comparable to how poorly Dizzy bowled in that series who had a sad spectacular fall from grace.
40 flattered Lee. He was awful for most of the series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
***** has pulled me up a few times in the past. He has his own mind. You probably think he just agrees with me because in this topic, well, we seem to agree. You tend to make sweeping truisms based on a couple of anecdotal observations. I think we are not the only ones grated by this.

Dan suggested a more enlightening filter of the stats I presented. I agree with his suggestion but unfortunately lack the statsguru skills to filter for it. When I can be bothered I will output the list of 500 batsmen and work the weighted average out to show top 8. (but the lazy half of me keeps hoping one of the stat nerds here will beat me to it :)

Yes, I used stats guru. At it's simplest, I did this from the overall/aggregate tab ... Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo You can then click return to query menu - choose advanced and start restricting bowlers or filter other stuff if you want. Unless you can show I've made a mistake (it's possible) or find a more informative filter that reverses the result (as per Dan's suggestion) I kind of think my stats do make what you have said wrong. You have just made statements. I have shown the results of those statements are not in accord. Nothing more.

Which bowling attack is better? McGrath, Warne, Ponting Gilchrist or Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Jones? You need to consider not just the form of the upper level bowlers, but also the bottom level bowlers. It may very well be that while all those bowlers you mentioned are not in career best form as they are near the end, that the middle and bottom tier of bowlers are. That is my best guess at why the stats showed up the way they did on my simple search. Others might have better reasons to explain them, such as, once again, Dan's suggestion.
The bold is probably the key question. If I can use media links and get in touch to cricinfo stat guru man S Rajesh who is an expert at filtering the stats guru I will run it by him.

However I looked at it properly, it seems ok on face value - I didn't see a way I could filter it different. So just to recap from start, the initial question you asked was: "since this period, that bowlers became better and pitches got better. So I am asking how do you explain that the average for the period of terrible bowlers has a batting average nearly 1 and a half runs less than the period filled with better bowlers?"

Bottom level or declining great bowlers from 2000-2005 vs bottom level bowlers from 2005-2010.

Looking back at S Rajeh's article on noughties from 5 years ago - he did hint at that point also - Why 55 is the new 50 | Decade Review 2009 | ESPN Cricinfo

" The average runs per dismissal in the last decade was 38.37, but in the last three years - 2007 to 2009 - it went up to 39.97, which suggests that the early part of the 2010s will see more of the same.

However it wasn't more of the same.

IMO its not logical to say the bottom level/crap bowlers of the 2005-2010 were in career best form. They were just bad, just as the ones present before from 2000-2005.

I would agree there were times bowlers who ended up being crap in both era's maybe have started off hype or had one good series for example:

WI attacks of Dillon/Cuffy/Sanford/Collins managing to overcame the India big 4 in 2002

Ifran Pathan & Mohammad Sami starting hot before 2005

RP Singh & Sreenath bowling as well as any top seamer could when IND beat ENG in 07

Ishant Shant having his great moments despite being a generally average test bowler - this can be said of all IND bowlers who emergence since 2000 besides Zaheer

Is it even possible to do a stats guru to filter out the limited good efforts of these crap/low level bowlers in the overall stat breakdown?

Which keeps bringing back to my point regarding Gilchrist, those bottom level bowlers/declining great bowlers who he faced from PAK 99 - NZ 2005, simply were not a good as fast-bowling like ENG Ashes 05 attack & none of them ever developed a tactical plan to get him out the way ENG did in 05. So again in either case, these stats don't negate this point.

The only thing I can think of, which would be hard to differentiate in any stats breakdown that is making it looking so for the 2005-2010 period is generalizing the stats for the entire period for bowlers (along with low level bowlers mentioned above) like Anderson, Broad, Khan, Ntini, Johnson for example that you did before - when in reality those guys peaks and career form dips happened well after 2005.

Anderson for example was in his crap bowler mode in 2005, his horrible bowling in the Jo'Burg test vs SA late 2004 I immediately recall.

Then from like IND 2007 - PAK 2010, he was universally viewed as a English conditions bowler. Anderson peak started with his 2010 Ashes performance, so stats guru of his efforts before 2010 wouldn't be right.

Zahher Khan peak started also from that 2007 IND win in England.

Johnson had such a fluctuating career its hard to group his stats accurately. He had those two impressive series vs SA 08/09 - then was very hot & cold in between until Ashes 2010/SA 2010/11.

Ntini was fairly average after his 2005-2008 peak coming into his final year in 2009. If you recall the very political situation during the ENG tour to SA in 09 when government influences was forcing SA selectors to keep picking despite him being in obvious decline just because they wanted him to play his 100 test as SA first black cricketer.

You can make same argument for some of great 90s bowlers from the 2000-2005 period who were in decline.

In the 2000s only Ambrose and Walsh were always good despite old age - they just lost pace. Donald last series as his "white Lightning self was in India 2000" he was still bowling high 80s close to 90mph, but afterwards he lost it. Pollock was still ok up to about 2001 until he ran into AUS in those unofficial world champs series matches.

Gough & Caddick were not the same after Ashes 01.

Thus one has to filter out the best periods from those bowlers in those respective time spans & I think that will get a more accurate representation of well known fact that better fast bowlers have emerged since 2005 & obviously batsmen were tested more.

A next possible reasons is are batsman since 2005 especially with the introduction of T20 and general more aggressive stroke-play more clinical at dominating poor attacks/bottom level bowlers/flat ptiches compared to the 2000-2005 period?

Overall in the midst of all the other madness going on around this thread, you have certainly raised a very real point - because if the stats trend remain the same i'm sure when cricinfo reviews the 2010-2019 period it will be a very global discussion point.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if you recognise me or not...but I collected about 20,000 posts on PC before jumping ship here because the cricket debates here are of higher quality.

I do remember reading and participating in several threads, not sure if here or on PC, discussing Gilchrist's merits as a batsmen. All the usual arguments -downhill sking, not having to have faced his own bowlers, not scoring runs under pressure- have been argued and disproven. In fact, I think I might have even been one of the people who put forward those arguments to begin with (I used to hate the Australian cricket team of the late 90s - early 00s with a burning passion)

So it's not a new topic here that I am entering into with a set of pre-conceived bias. Infact, most members here have had this discussion several times. We aren't just taking Victor Ian's word as gospel. We've done and seen all the research, stats, analysis and reasons before. We are pretty comfortable with our views on him.

We just don't feel it's worth our time to discuss all this with you, because you haven't come here with a genuine curiosity to learn more about whom the greatest keeper/batsman is. You've come here with an agenda, and you are only interested in evidence, arguments and statistics that support your agenda. This isn't a discussion to find the truth for you; this is a debate to be won. As such, interacting with you is meaningless to most of us.

We still do it anyways for the lulz and the cheap likes all the shots at you bring us.
Yea I think I may have remembered the name from PC. I haven't really debated the Gilchrist situation with much ferocity before this on any chat forum. I haven't been here until a few weeks ago for almost 6 years - so if you say CW has done this before in the last 5-6 years, how am I suppose to know that?

The second part of your post referring to me having an agenda as my grandpa would say is utter-cod swallop :laugh:

So let me once again correct your poor attempts of trying to be a mind reader. Just as how you said you used to hate AUS of late 90s/early 2000s with a passion (very strange that). AUS of that era is the reasons i became very interested in cricket & became my equal favourite sport alongside football.

Gilchrist alongside M Waugh were my favourite players & I can boast a bit and say I have seen ALL Gilchrist tests live whether at ground or on TV, almost every ball outside of the 3 test tour to NZ 2000. Have majority of AUS tests of glory days & on tape similar to that guy Robelina (although now many have been affected by Fungus).

Gilchrist could do no wrong for me until Ashes 05 & listened and learnt from people who started make criticism of his technique and post Ashes 05 and since his retirement I changed my mind about his overall standpoint. If I had an agenda I would never have made such a about turn.

Its pretty similar to my view on Lara my favourite player ever - always rated him above Tendulkar until other fans made their criticism about him & i came across their POV that Tendy was better & made a thread about it here almost 10 years ago - http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/17665-official-lara-vs-tendulkar-debate-thread.html

So now that rubbished your BS point about me having agenda, its really of little consequence to me how other posters wish to engage me. As I noted to you before, I don't know why you post on chat forums or what you hope to get out of it, but like in any aspect of life if I believe something, share the POV others don't agree - I move on. There is no mandate for me to change unless I see a POV that I think is worth me getting a second opinion.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I rate this thread 0/10.
Would also give 0/10 rating to your well established position that Barry Richards isn't good enough to open in an SA ATXI & Denesh Karthik is in consideration to be a keeper in the India ATXI...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Never said so re Karthik. A lot of times you keep speaking without understanding what the other person is saying.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
40 flattered Lee. He was awful for most of the series.
Old debate & I have never agreed. So we can leave it as that. IMO if Lee bowled as badly as people tended to say way back then, IMO he wouldn't have basically settled into his career best test from immediately after 05 Ashes until WI 2008. That satisfied my belief that he was unlucky in Ashes 05 & was already showing good test bowling signs.

Of course one can also argue, Lee bowled badly in Ashes 05 & simply learnt from his mistakes in that series which aided his improvement from Super test 05 to WI 2008. But I've never been sold to that POV either.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fail to understand how Richards can be in an all time test XI having not playing too many tests. That's the third time you have attacked me on that though. Funny.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Never said so re Karthik. A lot of times you keep speaking without understanding what the other person is saying.
Ha gotcha! Some of you very predictable with your positing, easy to draw you out:laugh:

Well my apologies for misunderstanding you Sir Pratters, kindly repeat what you said about Karthik again?

Also are you confirming then that you still don't believe Barry Richards is good enough for a SA ATXI right, if I'm not again misunderstanding?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Worst part of the debating is you don't listen to what others are saying and keep going on about your points. Endlessly, no less. As ***** mentioned, it's as if you will keep speaking andnhaving the last word, some how you think you win. It's not a contest. As ***** said, please stop preaching us.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ha gotcha! Some of you very predictable with your positing, easy to draw you out:laugh:

Well my apologies for misunderstanding you Sir Pratters, kindly repeat what you said about Karthik again?

Also are you confirming then that you still don't believe Barry Richards is good enough for a SA ATXI right, if I'm not again misunderstanding?
You can scroll back. Cheers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Any ways, I am done saying my two bits to you. I guess you wouldn't understand and keep believing you are #winning.