• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great opening partnerships

ataraxia

International Coach
For an extended period the famed Hobbs-Sutcliffe partnership actually averaged in excess of 100. It dropped down to 88, but I think given that Hobbs was 48 years old and Sutcliffe 36, that was at least excusable. The Hobbs-Sutcliffe partnership, despite being mostly plundering sub-test-class bowlers on flat pitches, is perhaps the only occasion where a career-long record truly approaches Bradman-esque levels.

To put that massive 87.81 in perspective, Hayden-Langer averaged 51.41 on similarly flat pitches. Bruce Edgar/John Wright averaged, er... 30.65. Next best after the Bradman of Hobbs/Sutcliffe? Hutton-Washbrook, Simpson-Lawry, and Hobbs-Rhodes averaged in the vicinity of 60 in good sample sizes. Hobbs-Rhodes is remarkable as it was mostly made in the tough pitches pre-WWI.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Cyril Washbrook is very much a forgotten player when it comes to discussions on opening bats. His career was affected by WWII as he was 25 when the war began and, apart from a single test pre-war, he was in his mid '30s for the bulk of his Test career. His average (42.85) is solid but in 3 years (1947-49) he played 20 of his 37 tests scoring 1755 runs at an average of 53.18 .... undoubtedly a solid partner for Len Hutton.

Slifer

International Captain
Allan Rae and Jeff Stollmeyer:

"In his 15 Tests, he scored 1,016 runs at 46.18 including four hundred and four fifties with 10 catches. He formed a solid opening with Jeff Stollmeyer and their average stand of 71.00 remains a West Indies record for years."

tony p

First Class Debutant
I would have thought PONSFORD & WOODFULL, but I don't think they opened as much in Test Cricket as they might have done.

Other fine partnerships,,
BARLOW/GODDARD 56.43 in 34 innings,
BOYCOTT/EDRICH 52.25 in 35 innings, just remember them as I was very young when they finished together in 1972 as a partnership.