• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graphs of Wickets by Batting Order for Good Bowlers

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just a couple of points raised in the thread. First up I don't think the circumstances that Nufan highlighted occur often enough to question the graphs. Besides its a bowler's job to remove nightwatchmen asap. And nighwatchmen succeed often enough for them to be a legit top order wicket.

Satyanash is right. If you clean up the tail after removing the openers you're penalised by the perception you are a tail order basher. Its the job of fast bowlers to get the openers and come back and quash the tail. Akram did that expertly so I think his high no of tail ender wkts proves he did his job.
Agree that Satyanash's reasoning was better, all I was wanting to say was that there could still be skewed results. If someone takes 200 wickets and just 10 of them are as a result of a changed batting order it skewed the percentages enough.

uvelocity

International Coach
cheers. they played in an era of no outstanding spin options, so the even spread is probably a result of that. merv maybe a higher percentage of tailenders by scaring the **** out of them more than alderman

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the question to ask might be - For two similar bowlers (skill-wise and statistically), what could be the reason(s) to prefer the one with a higher percentage of tail-end wickets?

harsh.ag

cheers. they played in an era of no outstanding spin options, so the even spread is probably a result of that. merv maybe a higher percentage of tailenders by scaring the **** out of them more than alderman
:laugh: :yes:

At the risk of causing **** in this thread,

Kallis and Sobers please.
I am not going there :D Read the thread title. Good bowlers only :ph34r:

harsh.ag

Yet you made one for Lyon
That was out of a shared faith that his figures would be s*** :D

Nah, seriously I don't this thread to go the Sobers-Kallis route. Actually, I think I will just post their graphs in the 'Greatest Cricketer' thread. Okay.