• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grains on your bat

Mrmidon

Cricket Spectator
Hi all.
Returning to cricket at 49 (moved to a new village recently)
Looking to buy a bat (had a passed down SS back in the day.
All I see on the net is more grains the better ? Really? Surely a nice piece of willow makes a good bat? Or am I missing something? Any advice appreciated

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thin grain (6,7,8 straight grains) bats used to be considered stronger and more durable, and may well still be. But a lot of people don’t care about bat longevity nowadays.

Mrmidon

Cricket Spectator
Weight and balance was my theory too
Cosmetics aren't a priority however the theory is the more grains the better the bat as the smaller grains (more) soften up better in the knocking in process without becoming too soft?
Think ill just buy something that feels right in my hands

Tom Flint

International Regular
The main cricket nerd shop in north london said the less and more spread out the better the bat, and also seemed to go up in price the less grains there was. Then the big hitting Pakistani boys at my club laughed and said it's the more grains the better.
Maybe they hit further but will last less time.

Mrmidon

Cricket Spectator
Cheers Tom so 2 different views then guess as suspected it comes down to personal preference

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always been told that more grains = more longevity as the wood is older. It's one of the last few things I'd pay attention to when buying a bat though.