• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith tells Klusener to bugger off

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
Of course Richard, you're right. I can't believe it either. Who wouldn't find it easy to play a guy who bowls 150km at your toes or head in which you have approx 0.2 seconds to react. And his improved line and length as of late would make the task even simpler.:rolleyes:
So why are so few batsmen giving their wickets to him in Test-cricket, then? And why is this not changing, despite this supposed improvement in his line and length?
I wouldn't like to face him, nor I suspect would any who are not professional batsmen, but you can bet Robin Smith-type characters (which Graeme Smith strikes me as one of) will lick their lips at the prospect.
Because good batsmen can react without especial difficulty in 0.2 seconds, they aren't troubled by line and length (especially when it's not as good as some would like to think). Good batsmen are troubled, first and foremost, by sideways-movement. Not to say Lee can't achieve that with a new-ball, but like it or not, he's doing something wrong and that's meaning he's not taking very many Test wickets, and he's taking them at an expensive rate.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
So why are so few batsmen giving their wickets to him in Test-cricket, then? And why is this not changing, despite this supposed improvement in his line and length?
I wouldn't like to face him, nor I suspect would any who are not professional batsmen, but you can bet Robin Smith-type characters (which Graeme Smith strikes me as one of) will lick their lips at the prospect.
Because good batsmen can react without especial difficulty in 0.2 seconds, they aren't troubled by line and length (especially when it's not as good as some would like to think). Good batsmen are troubled, first and foremost, by sideways-movement. Not to say Lee can't achieve that with a new-ball, but like it or not, he's doing something wrong and that's meaning he's not taking very many Test wickets, and he's taking them at an expensive rate.
You're right Richard. Not many batsmen have given their wicket away to Lee. I mean, only a measly 131 people have been dismissed by him in 35 tests and a pathetic number of 137 have gone via his ball in 73 ODIs. What a joke!:rolleyes:

(Brett Lees economy is at 3.5 for tests and 4.7 for ODI's)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never mentioned ODIs, so please don't try to bring them into the equation.
Anyone will get wickets if they play and bowl enough. It's not number of wickets that count, it's SR and average. Lee's SR since July 2001 is anything but impressive and his average is very poor.