• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good Ashes players who never played ODIs

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Im using the term good loosely, but this is close to a full team of Australian Ashes players who didnt play a single ODI that ive watched*

Rogers
Cowan
Love

Nevill
Young
Manou
Nicholson
Miller
Hohns
McIntyre

*I think I may have just listened on radio for Youngs Test.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Certainly, but his knee reconstruction really hurt him. He could have been a very good test match batsman.
When I think of all the outstanding Shield bats who missed an opportunity to play tests during the Ponting/Langer/Martyn/Waugh(2)/Lehmann/Gilchrist middle order era, Love is top of the tree for me. Just had a complete game. Was peerless as a first slip as well.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. Cant remember this at all. Remember tye circumstances?
One of those ODI-only India tours in 2009.

From what I'm piecing together from reports:
  • Initial plan was Haddin, but he hadn't recovered from his Ashes finger injury
  • Paine was picked, but broke a finger
  • Manou gets called up ahead of Hartley.

Additionally, about fifteen thousand players were out injured over the course of it. Haddin, Clarke, Ferguson, Bracken all ruled out prior. Lee, Hopes, Siddle, Henriques, and Paine during.

Ended up with a squad of:

1. Watson
  2. Marsh
  3. Ponting
  4. Hussey
  5. Voges
  6. White
  7. Manou
  8. Johnson
  9. Hauritz
  10. Hilfenhaus
  11. Bollinger
    ---
  12. McDonald
  13. McKay
  14. Holland
  15. ****ley

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hartley was arguably more hardly done by than even Martin Love or Stuart Law. That he didn't get a single Australia cap is criminal. Best keeper in the shield and by the end of his playing days, the best batsman of the active keepers. His poor shield average was mainly due to his early years when he was a rubbish batsman but but the end he was arguably Queensland's best batsman.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hartley was arguably more hardly done by than even Martin Love or Stuart Law. That he didn't get a single Australia cap is criminal. Best keeper in the shield and by the end of his playing days, the best batsman of the active keepers. His poor shield average was mainly due to his early years when he was a rubbish batsman but but the end he was arguably Queensland's best batsman.
Great keeper to the quicks, but he was never much of a batsman. Until randomly in his last season (or 2?) he became Bradman in the Shield. Then even more randomly he retired. He would probably have been playing Tests later that year if he hadn't ad it coincided with Nevill and/or Wade being dropped (can't remember exactly).

I was shattered by Hartley's retirement. Really did come at the strangest time, when you're in the best form of your life and a spot in the Test team is just about to become available.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Great keeper to the quicks, but he was never much of a batsman. Until randomly in his last season (or 2?) he became Bradman in the Shield. Then even more randomly he retired. He would probably have been playing Tests later that year if he hadn't ad it coincided with Nevill and/or Wade being dropped (can't remember exactly).

I was shattered by Hartley's retirement. Really did come at the strangest time, when you're in the best form of your life and a spot in the Test team is just about to become available.
To be fair he never really had any decent spinner to keep to. This is the state that picked Dan Doran for years, he was absolutely dreadful

stephen

The thing is he'd seen Nevill dropped for Wade again and it was clear that they had marked his cards. He also saw Pierson coming through and probably wanted to give him a shot for pushing for selection in a couple of years. Carey has pushed his way to the front of that pack though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is he'd seen Nevill dropped for Wade again and it was clear that they had marked his cards. He also saw Pierson coming through and probably wanted to give him a shot for pushing for selection in a couple of years. Carey has pushed his way to the front of that pack though.
Still think Hartley could have had a few good years as Test keeper. Look what's happened with Paine, if Hartley hadn't retired maybe he'd be Test captain now with 3 years experience. Probably averaging 40+ with the bat too unless he really fell off.

stephen

Still think Hartley could have had a few good years as Test keeper. Look what's happened with Paine, if Hartley hadn't retired maybe he'd be Test captain now with 3 years experience. Probably averaging 40+ with the bat too unless he really fell off.
I think if Pierson hadn't been chomping at his heels he might have stayed on.

Thing is, Paine was a golden boy who had already spent time in and astound the national setup. Hartley had missed out a number of times and when he retired it was just after missing yet another opportunity. He really, honestly thought his cards were marked and to be fair to him the national selectors had ignored him time and time again in favour of every other keeper in the country (Manau, Ronchi, Nevill and Wade all got turns in the national side/ squad).