• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie - All Rounder??

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
Wasim Akram.
Wasim Akram had already got a test century to his name at that time and was considered to a an all-rounder, and didn't go in as night-watchman (ha ha, can't get me, filter) when he clobbered 250-odd against Zimbabwe.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Wasim Akram.
Speaking of that innings, it was said on the commentary today that Jason Gillespie was the fourth bowler to take the new ball immediately after making a double century with the bat, and Wasim was mentioned as one of the other three.

While Ian Botham and Frank Worrell did it, Wasim Akram apparently didn't. After his double he bowled second change and only sent down 5 overs out of 100 as Zimbabwe saved the match. Frank Worrell also skipped the new ball after a double once. He made two double centuries in his career, and after the second one he opted to come on at first change instead.

Knowing that, and also the fact that the others didn't bat for as long and conditions were probably easier on the body, it's a remarkable effort from Gillespie to bat for almost 10 hours and still take the new ball afterwards.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Dizzy should be in the 20's, come to think of it.................... He should get more tons, just 2 more to prove himself better than Wasim Akrim!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Boo-hoo. You'd be in joyous spasms alongside Ming if precious Franklin reached three figures.
Pffft. We demand better from our lower order than you easily pleased Aussies. I won't be satisfied until Franko gets 1000 n.o. against England.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dizzy #4 said:
Dizzy should be in the 20's, come to think of it.................... He should get more tons, just 2 more to prove himself better than Wasim Akrim!
Ok seriously though, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable, maybe you should stop...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Dizzy #4 said:
12th Man, classic.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bunched jeans, incense floating in the air and "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" playing in the background?

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
He will the next Wasim akrim, Danile Vettori, Heath Streak, Shaun Pollock like All Rounder, mark my words!

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
It won't stop, Till number 2 comes! For now, Dizzy needs more 50's, you can't get to 100 without going through 50 you know!