• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist

I'm not sure but Mister Wright could be right. He gives the impression occasionally that he wouldnt mind packing it in sometimes.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I don't know, one poor series and they all throw their toys out of the pram!

If Gilchrist retired now he really would be a quitter. And that's not the Australian way. Steve Waugh could have walked away a couple of years ago but he felt he was still good enough. He nearly got dropped, but battled on to prove he was worth his place.

I can't see Gilchrist going to late 30s though in response to someone mentioning 2011!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
give the guy a break, he just had n off series, happens to the everyone (tendulkar had an entire off year)
And in that year he played the same number of Tests Gilchrist has in his present off spell!
Time is a deceptive thing. That's why people now count innings in balls faced. It's also why it's better to look at matches rather than months\years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
Haurittz is a good player who performed well when given a chance.
Are you out of your mind?
Hauritz has to be one of the worst players to play for Australia in the last 10 years. Bracketed with Muller, Bracken, Williams and the like.
He was absolutely smashed out of the park whenever he played decent teams (he took 4 for 39 off 10 against Kenya and that vastly improved his record, which is poor anyway) and not surprisingly.
The "performed well when given a chance" card is clearly not one used solely to praise failed, sparsely picked Englishmen.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Are you out of your mind?
Hauritz has to be one of the worst players to play for Australia in the last 10 years. Bracketed with Muller, Bracken, Williams and the like.
He was absolutely smashed out of the park whenever he played decent teams (he took 4 for 39 off 10 against Kenya and that vastly improved his record, which is poor anyway) and not surprisingly.
The "performed well when given a chance" card is clearly not one used solely to praise failed, sparsely picked Englishmen.
They are harsh words for 22yr old off spinner still learning his craft.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And just because he is young that makes him any less rubbish?
As I say, I was getting worried that this ignoring the palpable substandardness of young players was an English trait.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
age_master said:
give the guy a break, he just had n off series, happens to the everyone (tendulkar had an entire off year)
You realise Tendulkar only played 5 test matches right? That's why he was probably the best ODI batsman of the year, he played so many ODI's while only 5 test matches. All in all Tendulkar still had a good 2003, but his lack of test matches disallowed him to star in both forms of the game as he does every year.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Jono said:
You realise Tendulkar only played 5 test matches right? That's why he was probably the best ODI batsman of the year, he played so many ODI's while only 5 test matches. All in all Tendulkar still had a good 2003, but his lack of test matches disallowed him to star in both forms of the game as he does every year.
You do realise that he only scored about 125 runs in those 5 tests, and who is to say he would have scored more if he had played anymore tests?

How many tests did india play last year anyways?

Mister Wright said:
It's probably just me, but, I just get the feeling that Gilchrist may retire in the next one or two years. He has such a heavy workload - keeping in tests (now most go 5 days), keeping and opening in ODIs. He just looks a bit jaded and not as sharp as usual. He also has a good business brain and doesn't seem too consumed with cricket which may not prolong the finish to his career.

But it just might be me.
and it is

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SquidAU said:
You do realise that he only scored about 125 runs in those 5 tests, and who is to say he would have scored more if he had played anymore tests?

How many tests did india play last year anyways?
As many as Tendulkar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the fact is Gilchrist's poor spell has now been exactly the same length as Tendulkar's in the whole of 2003 (actually, of course, Tendulkar had two poor games in the last part of 2002, but they were on pitches that offered so much to the seamers it almost beggared belief).
But the fact remains, Tendulkar's poor 2003 was no worse than Gilchrist's recent poor run. In fact, he did manage one half-century in those innings, Gilchrist has managed 0 in his last 6 Tests.