• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers v Imran Khan,Test Cricket:Poll

Who was the better Test cricketer: Imran or Sobers?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
But I'm not actively comparing them, only to say they are close enough to be in the same category.
I rate Sachin definite top 3, 4 at worse. If he's "only slightly better" how is Lara not in the same category then?

That's all I'm saying.

Well that and Ponting is somewhat under rated here.
Lara is still top ten for me.

Ponting top 15.

Slifer

International Captain
We can bring up their away records too if you want to go there.
We can. Sachin/BCL averages the following away:

Aus : 53/42
Ban 137/-
Eng 54/49
Nz 49/37
Pak 40/48
Rsa 46/46
SL 68/101
Zim 40/55

Sachin out averages in 3 and BCL in 3.

**I obviously left out India and WI since that's home to each player nobody knows how the other would have done facing their own attack. But we already establish Sachin being better away. Soooooo....

Slifer

International Captain
I don't know about anyone else but I certainly never ever said Lara was better than Sachin or greater. But I do take exception to this: "He just didn't give off the greatness vibes that Tendulkar." That's implying that Lara is in the rung with the likes of the Rahul Dravids and Steve Waughs well below Sachin. Nothing wrong with that of course, but he simply wasn't.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't know about anyone else but I certainly never ever said Lara was better than Sachin or greater. But I do take exception to this: "He just didn't give off the greatness vibes that Tendulkar." That's implying that Lara is in the rung with the likes of the Rahul Dravids and Steve Waughs well below Sachin. Nothing wrong with that of course, but he simply wasn't.
That wasn't my implication. It was just that Lara didn't give the vibe that he belonged in the upper echelon with Sobers, Hobbs, et al. Too flawed.

I already told you I consider Lara solid top ten.

subshakerz

International Coach
We can. Sachin/BCL averages the following away:

Aus : 53/42
Ban 137/-
Eng 54/49
Nz 49/37
Pak 40/48
Rsa 46/46
SL 68/101
Zim 40/55

Sachin out averages in 3 and BCL in 3.

**I obviously left out India and WI since that's home to each player nobody knows how the other would have done facing their own attack. But we already establish Sachin being better away. Soooooo....
Sure you could have just said you agree.

subshakerz

International Coach
Tendulkar was clearly a bit better than Lara in SENA. Evenly matched in WI/Asia.
Even in Asia, Lara basically has that killer series in SL, a great series against a poor Pakistan attack in 2006 and two poor series in India and Pakistan in the 90s.

So I wouldn't call him equal in Asia either.

Slifer

International Captain
Even in Asia, Lara basically has that killer series in SL, a great series against a poor Pakistan attack in 2006 and two poor series in India and Pakistan in the 90s.

So I wouldn't call him equal in Asia either.
Lara was better in Pakistan and SL. Let's leave it at that

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara is still top ten for me.

Ponting top 15.
Top of my head list

Bradman

Sachin
Sobers
Smith
I. V. A.
Lara

Hutton
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Ponting
Chappell

Kallis
Hammond
Pollock
Border
Waugh
Headley
Sangakkara
Miandad

Feels like I'm missing some people

Slifer

International Captain
Top of my head list

Bradman

Sachin
Sobers
Smith
I. V. A.
Lara

Hutton
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Ponting
Chappell

Kallis
Hammond
Pollock
Border
Waugh
Headley
Sangakkara
Miandad

Feels like I'm missing some people
Sutcliffe, Barrington, Dravid?

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara was better in Pakistan and SL. Let's leave it at that
Debatable. Let's just say Tendulkar is just better tested overall in the SC, Lara only played four series there and flopped in two of them.

In SL, Tendulkar has three great series and one failure. Lara only played one super series.

In Pakistan, Lara had one failed series and one great series albeit against a poor Pakistani attack, whereas Tendulkar started his career with a middling series and then had one great and one poor series against Shoaib in the 2000s.

Last edited: