• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Format designed keeping top teams in mind" - Tournament Director

pup11

International Coach
This statement makes no sense, what BCCI is basically saying is that there is every chance that India would get knocked over if the group stages weren't this long.

Though when you look at the overall format of the competition, it becomes pretty clear that the current format hardly favours a consistent side as they can pretty much get knocked over during the QF stages on the back of one bad day.

The format for the last worldcup was pretty good imo and the only reason it looked bad was because India and Pakistan screwed up, but still the two best teams during that tournament made it to the finals and that's usually is a good way to judge the success of a format.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The format for the last worldcup was pretty good imo and the only reason it looked bad was because India and Pakistan screwed up, but still the two best teams during that tournament made it to the finals and that's usually is a good way to judge the success of a format.
I tend to disagree in a sense, given it took just two losses (or indeed one lose against a minnow and a rain affected match against the other test playing nation) for that test playing nation to be sent home from the 2007 version, leaving the minnow nation to face six other sides in the Super Eight, i.e. double the number of group matches. I think the format for this tournament is superior in that the sides that play the most number of matches are the teams that win more consistently throughout the competition, rather than two wins in group play to secure a spot in the tournament until the semi-final stage as in 2007. I don't think the format for the 2011 tournament is perfect by any means, but do believe it to be more conducive to seeing the sides that deserve spots later in the tournament progress.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the hope-la of the super 6s or the super 8s has got to end. it should be a basic KO from the group stages onwards.

have 4 groups of 4 (16 teams).

the 2 leading teams progess. (8 teams).

1st vs 2nd of oposing groupsps until you have 4 winners (football format)

semi then final.

tha odi game is played in a split innings format a bonus point is rewarded for most runs to the team which leads the first split (20 overs). 4 points for winning overall match. maximum points from a game is 5 points ( 1 bounus + 4 for out right win) the second split is 20 overs also, a complete inn. will consist of 40 overs.

games will be quicker and closer.

this is what the icc needs to do to keep odi's interesting and esp the wc fomat compettive all the way through out the tourney.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
I don't see the big issue here. I don't think Australia would lose their sleep over playing India at Bangalore any more than at Dhaka or Colombo. On the other hand, it is only going to boost the crowds and financial angle. It's not as if the visiting teams have to do the old 'train-bus-bullock cart' routine. Visiting teams are not disadvantaged any more than in a world Cup hosted by a single nation.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think they should just do away with the whole QFs, Super 8, Super 6 stage completely and just go straight to the semis. The problem with the current format the way I see it is that there is little incentive to finish top of your group or anywhere near because you end up in pretty much the same boat as everyone else whether you win every game or you lose every game and just beat the minnows.

I'd much rather they just have 2 groups with the top 2 teams from each group going directly in the semis. If the 2nd and 3rd placed team are tied on points then the winner of the game between the 2 teams should move forward, with NRR (not a fan of NRR because I dont think it is a fair way to separate teams so Im all for reducing its influence) only really coming into the picture if we have 3 teams that are tied on points.

I think this is a much better format for a number of reasons, 1) teams are actually rewarded for doing well in the group stages which lends some credibility to that stage of the tournament. 2) if a minnow makes it past the group stage they quite clearly deserve to be there. 3) the number of days of world cup play is considerably shortened, which means that we can actually have spare days for games that are washed out

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think they should just do away with the whole QFs, Super 8, Super 6 stage completely and just go straight to the semis. The problem with the current format the way I see it is that there is little incentive to finish top of your group or anywhere near because you end up in pretty much the same boat as everyone else whether you win every game or you lose every game and just beat the minnows.

I'd much rather they just have 2 groups with the top 2 teams from each group going directly in the semis. If the 2nd and 3rd placed team are tied on points then the winner of the game between the 2 teams should move forward, with NRR (not a fan of NRR because I dont think it is a fair way to separate teams so Im all for reducing its influence) only really coming into the picture if we have 3 teams that are tied on points.

I think this is a much better format for a number of reasons, 1) teams are actually rewarded for doing well in the group stages which lends some credibility to that stage of the tournament. 2) if a minnow makes it past the group stage they quite clearly deserve to be there. 3) the number of days of world cup play is considerably shortened, which means that we can actually have spare days for games that are washed out

AWTA.. And instead of real KO games we will have virtual KO games..

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I didn't have a problem per se with the home team getting a home game in the knockout stages as the host normally does have this advantage. I find it a bit **** though that irrespective of whether Sri Lanka/Bangladesh do better in the group stages, if they draw India, they have to play in India due to some rankings compiled X months ago. Preference should be dictated by final positions in the group play, in my opinion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I didn't have a problem per se with the home team getting a home game in the knockout stages as the host normally does have this advantage. I find it a bit **** though that irrespective of whether Sri Lanka/Bangladesh do better in the group stages, if they draw India, they have to play in India due to some rankings compiled X months ago. Preference should be dictated by final positions in the group play, in my opinion.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Spark

Global Moderator
tha odi game is played in a split innings format a bonus point is rewarded for most runs to the team which leads the first split (20 overs). 4 points for winning overall match. maximum points from a game is 5 points ( 1 bounus + 4 for out right win) the second split is 20 overs also, a complete inn. will consist of 40 overs.
:sick: