• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First/Group Round - Group B - Scotland, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Hong Kong

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think at this level most of them don't have the skill to bat their way to a decent run-rate, they have to gamble with big shots to score at anything like 6+ an over.
So much this. So, so much.

think people vastly overstate the dumbness of poor batting at times when it's often reasonably calculated relative to actual skill level. They're not dumb; they're just not that good.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why go for mindless reverse sweep slogs when you can go for normal ones though? Even if they went at 5 runs an over, they could have slogged after 7-8 overs with wickets in hand.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to believe Scotland were the best associate 10 or so years ago* Some bad coaching choices and a lot of retirements hasn't helped.

* I'd put their 2005-07 team ahead of Kenya.
Especially considering pretty much any Kenyan cricketer above the age of 20 was on strike at that time :laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Zimbabwe do manage to qualify for the next round, they should have Vittori in the first XI. These bowlers are nice mixing the deliveries up but you need at least one strike bowler to take wickets to stand a chance v the better teams..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Zimbabwe do manage to qualify for the next round, they should have Vittori in the first XI. These bowlers are nice mixing the deliveries up but you need at least one strike bowler to take wickets to stand a chance v the better teams..
Vitori isn't in the squad at all because he's been suspended for chucking.

People who only see him play international cricket are victims of a selection bias too, even ignoring the chucking. On a normal day he sends down 118km/hr rubbish and can't bowl any sort of consistent line to right handers. Every so often things click for him for a couple of weeks and the selectors rightly get him in the side which is when you guys see him, but 'bad Vitori' is a horrible, horrible sight. Sometimes he descends into levels below Zimbabwean franchise cricket.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hahahaha yeah, Vitori is the epitome of rocks or diamonds. In about the same ratio to the geological equivalent.

Zimbabwe miss Cremer hard. He was the strike bowler, really.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's so easy to impress PEWS. We have completely different perspectives on taxation which basically means we have vastly different political perspectives, but if I throw in a few Zimbabwean names, he is impressed. I think CW in general has set a really low bar when it comes to the 'smaller' nations which ultimately helps me in getting free likes from PEWS :p

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's so easy to impress PEWS. We have completely different perspectives on taxation which basically means we have vastly different political perspectives, but if I throw in a few Zimbabwean names, he is impressed. I think CW in general has set a really low bar when it comes to the 'smaller' nations which ultimately helps me in getting free likes from PEWS :p
Yeah, who'd have thought that people who disagreed about politics could occasionally agree about cricket?

Stace

First Class Debutant
Anyone think Hong Kong have a chance today? If Chapman gets a score and they get 140+ Can their bowlers defend it?