• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fantasy Cricket thread

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
What stats did you use for Proctor - he only played 7 tests, and though he no doubt was a good bowler, you can't help suspect that his bowling average of 15 and strike rate of 36 would have declined if he'd played more, just as his batting average might have improved from 20...
I gave him a bowling average of 22 and a batting average of 32, which I based off his first class figures adjusted down.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Where are you sourcing the WSC stats from?
Cricinfo has each WSC scorecard and an overall summary, though I'm doing a double check as well because their overall summary of averages a) isn't always correct (it lists GS Chappell with 4 tons, when he actually made 5), and b) it doesn't cound the Australia v World match in NZ as a SuperTest, when most records or references to the WSC period do. So I've counted it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
OK, here are suggestions for the squads of 16 for England and South Africa. If people want to flag any omissions or changes, we'll finalise the squads in anticipation of the tour kicking off upon the conclusion of the Aus-WI test in Adelaide.

All Time England (Squad of 16): J.Hobbs, L.Hutton, W.Hammond, D.Compton, W.G.Grace, L.Ames, I.Botham, H.Larwood, J.Laker, F.Trueman, A.Bedser,
F.H.Tyson, H.Verity, K.F.Barrington, H.Sutcliffe, G.Boycott.

All Time South Africa (Squad of 16): B.Richards, B.Mitchell, A.D.Nourse, R.G.Pollock,
J.H.Kallis, G.A.Faulkner, J.Cameron, S.M.Pollock, P.M.Pollock, H.J.Tayfield, A.A.Donald, M.J.Proctor, M.Ntini, H.W.Taylor, N.A.T. Adcock, G.Kirsten.

adharcric

International Coach
Barnes just can't be left out IMO. His average is skewed but any England all-time XI is incomplete without him. Besides, Bradman hasn't dominated the WI-AUS series despite his astronomical average. Several players will have questionable averages (Verity, Pollock, Grace, etc) but we should just go ahead and have fun with this. That's what I feel.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd cosider bringing him in over Tyson (purely for balance, as having two guys with sub-20 averages might really skew it!).

And do we need Boycott? We've got Hobbs, Hutton, Sutcliffe and Grace who are all nominally openers - though it seems Grace may bat in the middle order. Perhaps we don't need another opener, and could bring in another batsman or even another all rounder such as Woolley or Rhodes.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Alright, Barnes for Tyson and Rhodes for Boycott. I have been playing Grace at 5, but I think Barrington is probably the better choice...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Larwood or Boycott? Also, does Underwood have a shot against Verity?
Suggested squads of 16
England: Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Compton, Grace, Ames, Botham, Larwood, Trueman, Laker, Barnes, Bedser, Verity, Barrington, Sutcliffe, Rhodes.

South Africa: Richards, Mitchell, Nourse, G.Pollock, Kallis, Faulkner, Cameron, S.Pollock, P.Pollock, Tayfield, Donald, Adcock, Taylor, Proctor, Ntini, Kirsten.

If people agree, then we'll take votes on XIs for the first test tonight. Suggest the first leg be in England, with a return leg to follow? Lords as the first test.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd also open the selection of the final XI to our English and South African members, as they allowed us to pick our Australian teams.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That was the intention, although maybe - as occurred in the previous series, the English members can select their team and the rest of the board can vote on the SA team, given the relative lack of SA members.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Itinerary -
1st Test: Lords
2nd Test: Trent Bridge
3rd Test: Headingly
4th Test: Old Trafford
5th Test: The Oval.

Does somebody want to nominate variations in conditions from venue to venue? I'd suggest Lord's having a little extra bounce and movement off the pitch, Headingly having a little extra movement in the air, and the Oval being a fairly benign batting strip.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I want to get going, so I'll start the match tomorrow night, with the following teams, unless people demand any changes in the interim.
England:
Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Compton, Barrington, Ames+, Botham, Larwood, Trueman, Laker, Barnes.
South Africa:
Richards, Mitchell, Nourse, G. Pollock, Kallis, Faulkner, Proctor, Cameron+, S.Pollock, P.Pollock, Donald.

adharcric

International Coach
Tyson > Larwood tbh.

Anyways, if that's all we have to work with ... Sutcliffe should open with Hutton at 3 and Barrington left out.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's not all there is to work with - I'm happy to include the stats for anyone there's interest in having in the squad. Tyson can go in for Larwood.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I want to get going, so I'll start the match tomorrow night, with the following teams, unless people demand any changes in the interim.
England:
Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Compton, Barrington, Ames+, Botham, Larwood, Trueman, Laker, Barnes.
South Africa:
Richards, Mitchell, Nourse, G. Pollock, Kallis, Faulkner, Proctor, Cameron+, S.Pollock, P.Pollock, Donald.
The SA side reminds me of a Dav Whatmore quip when he coached Bangladesh and was asked for his line-up in the next match. "Eight batsmen and six bowlers."

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its not a bad strategy if you've got enough quality all-rounders - which is probably the difference between the South African team and the Bangladesh team Whatmore was coaching! :)