• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fact vs Fiction

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Over the many years of reading cricket books, magazines and articles one occasionally encounters cooked up stories that are more fiction than fact.

Example 1: The Victory Tests
The so called "Victory Tests" between an Australian Services XI and England in 1945 was a resounding success with huge crowds, starved from cricket for too long, flocking to grounds to see the games. The series comprised five 3 day "tests" and ended in a 2-2 draw. The games were apparently played in excellent spirit and the Australian XI, which contained only one player with Test experience (captain Lindsay Hassett) unearthed some great talent including Keith Miller.
The series wasn't granted full Test status as the ACB correctly pointed out that the Services XI wasn't a true Australian representative side. A story that subsequently went around was that Don Bradman had written to the ACB voicing his concern that the series shouldn't be given Test status as he wasn't playing. Nowhere have I been able to find evidence of such a communication even though the Don was well known for voicing his views on a range of topics to cricket's governing bodies.

Example 2: Graham McKenzie
McKenzie was Australia's premier fast bowler between the eras of Alan Davidson and Dennis Lillee. In his final Test match appearance (the 4th Test in the 70/71 Ashes series) he had his nose badly broken by a John Snow short ball. He subsequently missed the 5th and 6th Tests but in a lead up game to the 7th Test he broke Geoff Boycott's arm. He missed selection for that final test and, although only 29 and still bowling impressively, he never represented Australia again (apart from coming out of retirement for the World Series games in 1977). A journalist in WA suggested there was a conspiracy afoot during the 72/73 home series against Pakistan claiming McKenzie was overlooked on two counts. The first was that the ACB didn't want too strong an Australian test attack against the visitors as games wouldn't last the full 5 days and crowds would be down. The second was that McKenzie had 246 Test wickets - just 2 short of Richie Benaud's then Australian record - and the selectors didn't want to see the former captain's record broken. The first claim warrants inspection of the Australian attack used in that series. Debutant Max Walker had the best average (12 wickets @ 19.2) and Ashley Mallett the most wickets (13 @ 22.6). Greg Chappell had a better bowling average (24.2) than the opening bowlers Lillee (12 @ 29.4), Massie (8 @ 29.7) and Thomson (wicketless for 100 runs). No doubt, at the time, McKenzie warranted inclusion but the selectors were embarking on a youth policy that ultimately bore fruit. As for the Benaud suggestion, it hardly warrants comment.

Have any CW members come across similar stories relating to these and other examples?

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've heard another McKenzie one, that he was dropped after taking 10/151 in the second test Melbourne in 1967 in order to make things easier for the struggling Indian side. Can't find anything saying that he was injured and Wisden gives the rather spurious 'rested' (he did not play in the fourth test either), so it makes one wonder.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I've heard another McKenzie one, that he was dropped after taking 10/151 in the second test Melbourne in 1967 in order to make things easier for the struggling Indian side. Can't find anything saying that he was injured and Wisden gives the rather spurious 'rested' (he did not play in the fourth test either), so it makes one wonder.
That was reported too and was regarded as factual at the time. Being rested when the cricketing work-load is so much less demanding than today it makes sense. McKenzie's test record would have been even more impressive had he been selected against sides that were "minnows" at the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think there was a thing about Steve Waugh telling Herschelle Gibbs that he had dropped the World Cup in the 1999 WC group game. Waugh himself has clarified that he simply mentioned to Gibbs that they might just lose that game due to the drop.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman tear in his eye in the last innings making him miss the ball

I think that's relatively widely accepted to be bull**** though

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where are we on the "can't bowl, can't throw" saga? Did that actually happen and was it actually a camera man

Starfighter

That was reported too and was regarded as factual at the time. Being rested when the cricketing work-load is so much less demanding than today it makes sense. McKenzie's test record would have been even more impressive had he been selected against sides that were "minnows" at the time.
His test record would also be more impressive if he'd been not selected when he was clearly unfit in South Africa in 1970. That series (0/333) is I believe the worst test series by any bowler and adds a whole two runs to his average.

mr_mister

Where are we on the "can't bowl, can't throw" saga? Did that actually happen and was it actually a camera man

I thought it was like, definitely Joe the Camerman. He went on TV several times to admit it. Pretty big effort for a cover-up if it actually was Warne

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I live my life by the fundamental rule that everything Mark Latham says is wrong, so it really was Joe the Cameraman, no cover up at all

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
His test record would also be more impressive if he'd been not selected when he was clearly unfit in South Africa in 1970. That series (0/333) is I believe the worst test series by any bowler and adds a whole two runs to his average.
It was 1/333, and it adds about 1.2 to his average.
Harbhajan once took 0/355 in a series.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bill Bowes account of bowling Bradman first ball at Melbourne. He claimed retrospectively that he knew Bradman was expecting a bouncer so gave the impression of bowling one but didn't dig it in and this caused Bradman to mistime his pull shot. It was in truth a wretched long hop.

mr_mister

I'm almost certain Bradman was the whistleblower for the 'only one side's playing cricket' leak to the press during bodyline. Fingleton gives pretty solid evidence in his book cricket crisis. Fingleton himself got the blame and his test career probably took a hit due to it.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Stories abound concerning Bradman. Brothers Basil and Bert Rigg both played first class games for WA. I met them both. One (I can't remember which - probably Basil) claimed he set a square leg for his bowling only for his brother to miss the catch. Brother said he dived but the ball hit the pickets before he hit the ground.