• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Establishing the best decade for cricket: Finding the ATG XI from 12 decades of test cricket - then having a KO tourney to decide the best

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So I had an idea that could arguably need some refining. My plan at the moment is that CW will vote on 12 ATG XIs from each decade of test cricket from the 1900s to the 2010s, then with those 12 ATG XIs we will have a little voting KO tournament

Deciding the ATG XIs will be quite similar to NUFAN's ATG XIs from each test nation threads a couple of years back, which should hopefully be a fun process itself. I'll basically copy the structure he used. That'l all be limited to this thread. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I won't be dealing with the 19th century nor the 2020s due to a)test cricket being in an infancy in the 19th century and b)the 2020s have just begun. I was originally not going to include the 1910s either, but I figure 12 is a nicer number than 11 for a tournament, and a few cool series happened in the 1910s, enough to establish an ATG side from it anyway.

Once we have the 12 sides i'll make the tournament thread thing. Not sure of the best way to make a KO tournament with 12 teams, but was leaning toward 4 groups of 3 with 2 teams advancing from each group, then QFs, SFs and a final.

I'm open to ideas about how to do the team selection, as it's just a rough idea in my head at the moment. But was thinking we'd keep it simple. You'll vote on making the XIs based on what the players achieved during that decade. So, arguably Marshall won't deserve a spot in the '90s XI and Bradman arguably won't deserve one in the '20s XI. But who knows what surprises the voting will bring up. A player can be put into multiple teams, so Bradman will likely be #3 for the 1930s and 1940s for example

Will begin the 1900s team selection soonish if people can't spot any glaring issues with the structure/criteria i'm using

Edit: We are combining 1900s and 1910s into one team, and having 1870s/80s/90s as a separate team. Still 12 teams.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Choosing the 1900s-1910s ATG XI

1. Select the 2 opening batsmen
2. Select your first drop/number 3
3. Name your two opening bowlers

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
All right, I'll give it a bash.

Victor Trumper
Archie MacLaren
Clem Hill

SF Barnes and Tibby Cotter

Tempted to open the bowling with Trumble or another spinner, but I'll pick them later. And I like the idea of having Cotter's raw pace in the team.

mr_mister

a quick thought - does anyone think the 1890s is more deserving of a spot than the 1910s?

i just realised the 1910s could easily have a very similar team to the 1900s with maybe 3-4 names different.

Granted I'm sure the 1890s team would finish dead last in the tournament - it would give a drastically different team

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's a "calendar decade" challenge but given the sporadic nature of international cricket in the early days, why not a single team covering 1870s/80s/90s and then another team covering 1900s/10s? And then single teams from the 1920s onwards (the 1940s were cut short as well, of course, but I reckon there was enough cricket played by enough great players to make a very good side).

mr_mister

Sounds good! And we'd still have 12 teams that way. I like it.

Guessing you'l be subbing out Maclaran for Hobbs now?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds good! And we'd still have 12 teams that way. I like it.

Guessing you'l be subbing out Maclaran for Hobbs now?
That's exactly what I'll be doing. :)

Tempted to bring in Whitty or Foster for Cotter too, but on balance I'll leave Tibby where he is.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
List of All rounders from this era so we can make a formidable team and keeping them in mind while sorting out the batting order

Aubrey Faulkner
Warwick Armstrong
Wilfred Rhodes
Monty Noble
Frank Woolley (plus point fielding)
Stanley Jackson (slightly batting heavy)
Frank Foster (bowling heavy)
George Hirst (both bat/bowl great records at FC)
Charles Mccartney (batting heavy)