• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPN's Legends of Cricket

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The scary thing is, dominant or not, he can still achieve the 50 hundreds and 15000 test runs milestone. :-O
I would love to be proved wrong on this, but I can't see it. I honestly don't believe he has another 4000 Test runs and 13 Test centuries left in him.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I watched everyone of their shows on this and the reasons they gave were pathetic... First of all, who said it included ODIs as well? Check it out....

And if we are only talking abt tests, remember at that time, he had only 1 or 2 double hundreds... So much for #7... And even with all that, how was he better than Imran Khan who had such excellent figures as an all rounder for such a long time in his career? If you guys think there was no bias involved here, you seriously need to watch those shows again.... Of course, I think Sachin is one of the greatest of all time but that list and the way they went about it showed their obvious bias. Plus it is good PR to put an Indian as high as you can..... I don't think he is better than Kapil Dev in terms of contribution to cricket and Indian cricket in particular, for instance......
Fair enough mate - for the record I'm not saying I agree with him being rated the 7th greatest player of all time, either then or now, nor am I saying I think ODI performances necessarily hold much weight when it comes to judging the greats.

I'm simply saying that I can understand some of the factors as to why, at the time this ranking was conducted, his admirers (of whom there were many in the rankings panel) might have rated him so highly. :)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I watched everyone of their shows on this and the reasons they gave were pathetic... First of all, who said it included ODIs as well?
The fact that half the footage they showed of Sachin was in a ODI vs. NZ when he first opened the batting?

Seriously Honest, in 2000/01 Sachin was the better batsman than Lara when taking their careers up to that point into context only. Its as simple as that, and you cannot argue with that point.

Now, its a far more arguable point. In 1996-98 it was also more arguable. But between 98-2000/01 Lara went through a patch where he was pretty ordinary, for whatever reason (quite obviously mental). It looked like Lara was on the slide, whereas Sachin looked like he was bound to be the best since Bradman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The fact that half the footage they showed of Sachin was in a ODI vs. NZ when he first opened the batting?

Seriously Honest, in 2000/01 Sachin was the better batsman than Lara when taking their careers up to that point into context only. Its as simple as that, and you cannot argue with that point.

Now, its a far more arguable point. In 1996-98 it was also more arguable. But between 98-2000/01 Lara went through a patch where he was pretty ordinary, for whatever reason (quite obviously mental). It looked like Lara was on the slide, whereas Sachin looked like he was bound to be the best since Bradman.
It's not about Lara. I have conceded that point long back. I felt that he was never really much greater than Lara as a batsman personally, but that is just opinion from watching them bat. Obviously, performance wise, at that time, Sachin was doing better, but to rate him #7 of all time, even given that he was in his prime, was a real stretch and IMO, had something to do with a bit of bias to one of their own guys....

I think he might have been placed at 10 or 12 or so otherwise, but again, that is just a judgement from having watched the shows and not exactly fact....

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
I've got the book and DVD set of this, well its actually the book and DVD of the top 25. They shortlisted 50 players, and then chose 25 from there. I remember watching a few of the shows, but couldn't watch them all, hence why I purchased the DVD set which is absolutely awesome.

I really recommend either the book or DVD set to anyone who is interested in the history of these champion players. Its great. :)
Where can i purchase this DVD ?

BazBall21

International Regular
Top 25 (doubt I will ever be fully decided)

1) Don Bradman
2) WG Grace
3) Garry Sobers
4) Imran Khan
5) Sachin Tendulkar
6) Jack Hobbs
7) Malcolm Marshall
8) Glenn McGrath
9) Shane Warne
10) Sydney Barnes
11) Richard Hadlee
12) Viv Richards
13) Walter Hammond
14) Muttiah Muralitharan
15) Keith Miller
16) Curtly Ambrose
17) Jacques Kallis
18) Len Hutton
19) Bill O'Reilly
20) Brian Lara
21) Dennis Lillee
22) George Headley
23) Ian Botham
24) Adam Gilchrist (forgot him)
25) Sunil Gavaskar
26) Dale Steyn

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
Only ever saw Sunny when I was very young and he was awesome, but hard to imagine even then he was the 10th best cricketer ever.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain

1) Don Bradman
2) WG Grace
3) Garry Sobers
4) Imran Khan
5) Sachin Tendulkar
6) Jack Hobbs
7) Malcolm Marshall
8) Glenn McGrath
9) Shane Warne
10) Sydney Barnes
11) Richard Hadlee
12) Viv Richards
13) Walter Hammond
14) Muttiah Muralitharan
15) Keith Miller
16) Curtly Ambrose
17) Jacques Kallis
18) Len Hutton
19) Bill O'Reilly
20) Brian Lara
21) Dennis Lillee
22) George Headley
23) Ian Botham
25) Sunil Gavaskar
26) Dale Steyn
Can you explain why Marshall above McGrath and why McGrath above Warne, why Murali so low, why Len Hutton above Brian Lara, Your opinion regarding Gavaskar ?

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

First Class Debutant

1) Don Bradman
2) WG Grace
3) Garry Sobers
4) Imran Khan
5) Sachin Tendulkar
6) Jack Hobbs
7) Malcolm Marshall
8) Glenn McGrath
9) Shane Warne
10) Sydney Barnes
11) Richard Hadlee
12) Viv Richards
13) Walter Hammond
14) Muttiah Muralitharan
15) Keith Miller
16) Curtly Ambrose
17) Jacques Kallis
18) Len Hutton
19) Bill O'Reilly
20) Brian Lara
21) Dennis Lillee
22) George Headley
23) Ian Botham
25) Sunil Gavaskar
26) Dale Steyn
What about "t'finest fast bowler that ever drew breath"?