• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England oneday matches?

open365

International Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
except if anyone of those catches had been taken at the oval, Pietersen would have been dropped not long after, England would never have won the Ashes and the selection of Pietersen over Thorpe would be considered a disaster(much like it should be). When your whole career revolves around 1 innings that involved 3 dropped chances, things arent really going very well for you to be honest.
What about his 3 centuries against South Africa? His incredible knock at Bristol? His consecutive 100s against Sri-Lanka? His 3 50s against India? His ODI average exceeding 50 with a strike rate close to a run a ball?

tooextracool

International Coach
open365 said:
What about his 3 centuries against South Africa? His incredible knock at Bristol? His consecutive 100s against Sri-Lanka? His 3 50s against India? His ODI average exceeding 50 with a strike rate close to a run a ball?
Unfortunately all bar those consecutive 100s against SL came in ODIs where hes actually been pretty good for the most part of his career. Cant say that scoring runs against a SL bowling lineup away from home is hardly worthy of much merit. As such if you consider how lucky hes been over his career, you'd say that he hasnt been anything other than acceptable in test match cricket thus far. Certainly not very good or the next big thing as he is often made out to be. In ODIs too, all those innings that you mentioned bar the 3 50s against India came over a year and a half ago. Since then hes been dismal.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
run that 411 by me again?, KP has been dismal WTF, i'd give you he has wasted some great starts but he has surely not been dismal come on mayn..

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Forget one rambling loonie, he's a class player. He averages 49 in Tests and 52 in ODI's. The notion that he would have been dropped if Warne had held that catch at the Oval - utter tripe.:D

tooextracool

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
Forget one rambling loonie, he's a class player. He averages 49 in Tests and 52 in ODI's. The notion that he would have been dropped if Warne had held that catch at the Oval - utter tripe.:D
Why not?
If you excluded his 158, by the end of the tour of India he would have been averaging in the mid 30s after playing over 10 tests. Certainly with Collingwood, Cook and Owais Shah breathing down his neck, they would have been selected over him. The England selectors have been extremely loyal to all of their Ashes winners, but if it werent for the 158, England would never have won the Ashes, and Pietersen would not have been given as much of an opportunity as he has got.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, as Jono said, Australian fans rate tests above ODIs as well. Doesn't necessarily mean we'd rather beat the West Indies than win the World Cup, but in general people care far more about test cricket. Regardless, we still play the format and compete well in it. I expect if England were the second best ODI side in the world too there'd be far more interest in the format, both from the administrators and the fans.
I disagree. The general population could care less about test matches, except the high profile ones. ODIs generate far more interest.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
albo97056 said:
Thats tripe, no one gives a toss about odis in england, as long as we're winning the tests no one cares
So that's the reason stadiums were empty during the Pak-England ODIs. No wait...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
tooextracool said:
Im sick and tired of people overrating pietersen. The guy can barely buy a run in either form of the game, yet not only is he put down as a certainity but hes also worshipped as though hes amongst the top 5 players in the world.

Kevin Pietersen is one of the most talented cricketers I've seen in like 25 years of watching pro cricket. He may not score 150 every other match like Tendulkar or Bradman, and he may not have have the best cricket head on him, but please don't call him overated. He has the potential to be one of the great batsmen of all time, just give him time.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
albo97056 said:
They were empty in the test then and how many days are there in tests... 1 days revenue.. no wait 5:blink:
:huh:
How does that have anything to do with my argument? You said no one in England cares about ODIs. Then why is it that the stadiums were full?

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
the argument was odis are as if not more important than tests, tests in england produce more revenue, tv sponsorship etc than odis, therefore making them more important for england to do well in!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
albo97056 said:
the argument was odis are as if not more important than tests, tests in england produce more revenue, tv sponsorship etc than odis, therefore making them more important for england to do well in!
Again :huh:

Could you quote my post where I brought any of that up?

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Im just saying the general public care more about tests for all of those reasons, just backing up my point, whether u argued that or not isnt really wat i was getting at. The general trend of the thread is towards whether tests or odis are more important, and although in the subcontinent the odis are king, in the uk that is completely untrue. U cant use the arguement that odis are full houses because so are tests, and how can one differentiate whether tests or odis are more important if the audience is at max all the time? Other factors, which i have broght up!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I understand what you're saying, in fact if you said that instead of telling us that "nobody gives a toss about ODIs in England" we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. :)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I still think thats true. Its a combination of odis not being on terestrial for 7 years where test have been up until recently and the fact that england are crap means most ppl here dont really care what the latest score is in an odi, but theyl happily check for updates or sit and watch a test. In my local cricket club a test always comes ahead of football when it comes to tv coverage, but odis are always switched off in favour of football!
The fact is that people will pack out these grounds coz they couldnt get a ticket for the tests. You have to remember most grounds in england are around 15-20 k capacity, whereas in aus and india etc its more like 50 or 100k so grounds sell out fast for internationals.

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
Kevin Pietersen is one of the most talented cricketers I've seen in like 25 years of watching pro cricket. He may not score 150 every other match like Tendulkar or Bradman, and he may not have have the best cricket head on him, but please don't call him overated. He has the potential to be one of the great batsmen of all time, just give him time.
The same could have been said about ramprakash and Hick back in the day. At least Hick was scoring runs against better attacks around the world at one point and doing so without the benefit of multiple chances per innings.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hick should be classed as one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He is 7th (I think) on the list of all time FC run scorers. As should Rampkrakash, will no doubt make it to 100 FC 100s. He may be the last person ever to achieve that.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
He doesn't score 150 every other match because he isn't good enough, everybodys got potential.