• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England disintegrating like in 2013-14 Ashes - Johnson

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is not benching any of kg,Steyn,philander or morkel. Not close to them.
Starc is easily better than Morkel. And while he's not better than the other three I could see him picked over Philander for all the reasons I've already stated.

He would definitely play over Philander in the subcontinent.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Starc is easily better than Morkel. And while he's not better than the other three I could see him picked over Philander for all the reasons I've already stated.

Not based on the last 12 month's he is not.

Morkel 34 wickets @ 25.44 strikerate of 48 and econ of 3.17
Stark 35 wickets @ 27.77 strikerate of 49.6 and econ of 3.35

And if you want to argue variation Morkel's height is as much variation as starks left arm.

Spark

Global Moderator

Have you seen Morkel bowling in the last year or so? He's been superb.

Yesterday really accentuated the difference between the two IMO.

Last edited:

stephen

Not based on the last 12 month's he is not.

Morkel 34 wickets @ 25.44 strikerate of 48 and econ of 3.17
Stark 35 wickets @ 27.77 strikerate of 49.6 and econ of 3.35

And if you want to argue variation Morkel's height is as much variation as starks left arm.
Those stats are virtually identical tbf.

Look, I've been critical of Starc in the part but calling Morkel better than him is a bit of a joke, even if Morkel is in slightly better form right now.

Yes, Philander, Steyn and Rabada are all better than Starc but selectors would find it very difficult to leave out Starc if he was available. And he's a lock over Philander on subcontinent tours.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One key factor about the Starc/Morkel argument is Starc's batting, which is important when you're picking 5 bowlers. A 7/8/9 of Philander/Starc/Maharaj looks a lot better than Philander/Maharaj/Rabada.

Starfighter

Those stats are virtually identical tbf.
No they're not. 2.3 is a fairly sizeable gap.
Look, I've been critical of Starc in the part but calling Morkel better than him is a bit of a joke, even if Morkel is in slightly better form right now.
No
Yes, Philander, Steyn and Rabada are all better than Starc but selectors would find it very difficult to leave out Starc if he was available.
See my comment above. Philander has ATG figures and Starc is nowhere near. No one who objectively watches cricket could do that except...
And he's a lock over Philander on subcontinent tours.
Possibly, but not certainly.

stephen

No they're not. 2.3 is a fairly sizeable gap.
No

See my comment above. Philander has ATG figures and Starc is nowhere near. No one who objectively watches cricket could do that except...

Possibly, but not certainly.
2.3 runs per wicket over 35 wickets is margin of error type stuff.

I'm no way under rating Philander here. He's better than Starc.

All I'm saying is that Starc has attributes which get him into teams, beyond statistics at the possible expense of better bowlers.

stephen

So you'd pick a worse player because of basically meme value.
Do you have a comprehension problem? I've spent the last two pages saying that selectors will often favour bowlers with Starc's attributes over better bowlers.

I have not said that I would pick him over Philander outside Asia, only that I think selectors would.

Though tbf, in South Africa the quota system probably would help Philander. That and the fact that he's a better bowler might keep him ahead of Starc.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Do you have a comprehension problem? I've spent the last two pages saying that selectors will often favour bowlers with Starc's attributes over better bowlers.

I have not said that I would pick him over Philander outside Asia, only that I think selectors would.

Though tbf, in South Africa the quota system probably would help Philander. That and the fact that he's a better bowler might keep him ahead of Starc.
No, I do not have a comprehension problem, thank you. And if you were merely presenting a presumed selector's P.o.V., you've not really distinguished that from your own.

Last edited: