• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Durham Champions of Zimbabwe

mackembhoy

International Debutant
A title I never expected to write. Although it's been on the cards all week.

Durham put on 229/6 and bowled Eagles out for 16 in the final.

Durham won all 5 group games comfortably too.

Won both FC games against Zimbabwe A on this pre season tour

Apologies mods but due to the bizarre nature of this as well as margin of victory. Felt I'd start this thread.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Bas De Leede played this game ! 59 with the bat and 1/0 , not a bad days work .

Don't think this will ever be topped in a final , what a crushing defeat.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
8/7 at one point. It looked at that stage as though they wouldn't make double figures.

I think there was just one boundary in the innings

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Weak effort from Durham to not have the record broken.
The only boundary hit just cleared the fielder otherwise would have been all out for 12.

Only lower totals are

Isle of Man 10 against Spain
Thunder 15 against Strikers(still mental that's there)

Chubb

International Regular
While this is unusual it’s not really surprising.

Durham probably spend more on their first team than Zimbabwe Cricket spend on all levels of the game across the entire country. Of course they should crush Zim first class teams. Even Durham v the full Zimbabwe team would be close.

Good on Durham for going there I’m sure the Zimbos would have learned a lot from them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What am I missing here? Surely you would expect a county side to be a cut above Zimbabwe domestic teams

mackembhoy

International Debutant
What am I missing here? Surely you would expect a county side to be a cut above Zimbabwe domestic teams
The first time a side has won another countries competition

Also the largest margin of victory in a game involving 2 sides that actually play FC cricket. As only previous higher margins victory involved Mongolia, Czech Republic and Turkey.

Was some good cricket played by the Zimbabwean sides. Durham under Campbell is a wholly different proposition to Durham of only 2 years ago who wouldn’t have played the way they have this time.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The first time a side has won another countries competition

Also the largest margin of victory in a game involving 2 sides that actually play FC cricket. As only previous higher margins victory involved Mongolia, Czech Republic and Turkey.

Was some good cricket played by the Zimbabwean sides. Durham under Campbell is a wholly different proposition to Durham of only 2 years ago who wouldn’t have played the way they have this time.
Yeah the margin is crazy I'll be honest, didn't even notice that at first

But come on it's not exactly a surprise that they would win the local Zimbabwe domestic comp. You'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't

mackembhoy

International Debutant
While this is unusual it’s not really surprising.

Durham probably spend more on their first team than Zimbabwe Cricket spend on all levels of the game across the entire country. Of course they should crush Zim first class teams. Even Durham v the full Zimbabwe team would be close.

Good on Durham for going there I’m sure the Zimbos would have learned a lot from them.
If the 2020 tour hadn‘t been cancelled then I think the games would have been more competitive.

Was plenty of good cricket from your lads. I liked the look of Ndlovu especially in the FC games.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Yeah the margin is crazy I'll be honest, didn't even notice that at first

But come on it's not exactly a surprise that they would win the local Zimbabwe domestic comp. You'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't
Indeed I’m sharing this as a thread due to the unusual element. It’s our pre season after all!

Durham toured here last year and it started the rejuvenation we’ve seen under Campbell. Played an amazing brand of red ball cricket after a few appalling years under Franklin. We were still pretty rubbish in the white ball and I’m hoping this can have a similar catalyst as new signings had a really good time out there.

As I said above if we’d completed the 2020 tour it wouldn’t have been as fruitful. As we were not great then.