• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Parthiv Patel , Select Dinesh Karthik

I have no clue why the INDIAN selctors sticking with this parthiv PATEL.

He is not a good batsman and below average wicket keeper.

When Dinesh Karthik waiting for more chances to show his awsome batting skill and wicket keeping , why this stupid indian selectors are still sticking with below average wicketkeeper.

Indians loves to live in mediocrity and eating dal makhani. hahaha :p

Peace
TRUTH TELLER.

Last edited:

Hala

Cricket Spectator
His batting was note worthy however the main reason you have a wicket keeper is to keep wickets. India seems to have become intoxicated by the success Australia has had with Gilchrist. Patel is a solid batsmen, but he will never average more than 35, and his keeping to the spinners is pretty dismal. Gilchrist is a once in a lifetime player, you can't manufacture someone like him by getting a 19 year old kid who can barely keep to take the gloves.

Dydl

International Debutant
He is young, but he has had a short while to prove himself as a keeper. The Indian selectors don't really have an alternative to Patel, Dravid doesn't like keeping and no other Indians are really good enough to take the gloves.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sorry, but shouldnt that be "...AND he has had a short while to prove himself..." ??

Dydl

International Debutant
Could be either way.
Kind of makes sense both. Means the same thing anyway.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
hes young dammit, give him time!
This typical comment about Patel is really making me go anti-patel these days. Are the other keepers Karthik and Dhoni any older than him? Why should there be a bias towards him while the others have to hone their skills in Ranji , Parthiv has that liberty to do it in Intl Cricket. Dhoni struck two centuries against Pakistan and avges highly and is also a sound keeper.but Parthiv directly starts out in Intl without playing any Ranji Cricket and also gets to play consistently even after committing the same mistakes again and again.

IMO Parthiv and Sriram are the examples of two extremes in Indian Cricket at present

Dydl

International Debutant
Yeh, but are they good enough to play Australia and do well? Would they perform better than Patel. Their statistics may be good but does that neccessarily mean that they will actually perform well when asked to internationally?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Dydl said:
Yeh, but are they good enough to play Australia and do well? Would they perform better than Patel. Their statistics may be good but does that neccessarily mean that they will actually perform well when asked to internationally?
Huh if you think that way nobody will ever make the team. If the guy has potential he can do well against anybody. Many thought the same way too when Clarke was brought in for the last test

V Reddy

International Debutant
Dydl said:
Also why would i suggest other names if i didn't think they were better than Parthiv 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
Also why would i suggest other names if i didn't think they were better than Parthiv 8-)
Murali Karthik IS a better keeper than Parthiv as is Ajay Ratra of Delhi.

I havent seen Dhoni playing so wouldnt like to comment purely on the basis of what one reads.

Since it is a wicket keeper(primarily) we are talking of replacing, choosing Karthik would not compromise India's chances. Of course, the stupid idea of selecting a 14 for two tests makes it difficult to pick from outside for the second test at least.

One more chance for Parthiv. Trust him to score some more runs and keep shabbily again increasing the confusion between those who want to drop him and those who dont :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
But Ratra is really terrible with the bat in hand while Dhoni and Karthik aren't.
Do you know who was the last Indian wicket keeper to score a test hundred ?

In May 2002, against the Windies at Antigua, batting at number 8 he joined Laxman and put on 217 runs for the seveth wicket and stayed till the end to score 115 not out. His name was Ajay Ratra.

He couldnt be really terrible with the bat in hand now , could he ??

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
SJS said:
Do you know who was the last Indian wicket keeper to score a test hundred ?

In May 2002, against the Windies at Antigua, batting at number 8 he joined Laxman and put on 217 runs for the seveth wicket and stayed till the end to score 115 not out. His name was Ajay Ratra.

He couldnt be really terrible with the bat in hand now , could he ??
of recent ratra hasnt been the best with the bat (even if he may have been good in the past)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
of recent ratra hasnt been the best with the bat (even if he may have been good in the past)
I can argue about that too but its irrelevant. The point is he is not a bunny with the bat and a very competent wicket keeper which is the main requirement.