• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Fined for Ball Tampering

Rich2001

International Captain
Thelwell said:
A cough sweets an artifical substance but you could argue that he simply spat, or licked his fingers to polish the ball and the sweet came out as well as spit. Meaning it wasnt deliberate.
Thelwell that is a fair point but the reason we are saying it was deliberate was due to the fact he was rubbing the cough sweet all over the shiny side of the ball for a good 20 secs, now if you can't feel that under your fingers then he has problems with his finger tips ;) - And now I can't honestly remember but I also 'THINK' he was looking at the ball while doing this, so if he does have doggy feelings in his fingers he must have also been blind too ;)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
You guys are too hard on Dravid. He's perhaps the most down to earth and nicest guy in international cricket and you say all this stuff about him. I'm sure it was just a mistake...he wasn't doing it with bad intentions.

krkode

State Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
You guys are too hard on Dravid. He's perhaps the most down to earth and nicest guy in international cricket and you say all this stuff about him. I'm sure it was just a mistake...he wasn't doing it with bad intentions.
Spoken like a Dravid fan, my friend. Prepare for a backlash...:wow:

I'll vouch for this though, this wouldn't be such a big deal here if India had lost the game...:rolleyes:

I doubt Dravid's adventure with the ball affected anything significant save 50% of his match fees and a few people's trust...Big deal? :rolleyes:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
sachintendulkar said:
How bout you go talk to ICC about doing that?o wait you cant because they know what they are doing and you dont.do you have any idea how many players break the laws of cricket?

and for why he did this is because he got money from someone
Yeah Dravid broke the law and many do, BUT in doing so he was also attempting to CHEAT!!!!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Blewy said:
Yeah Dravid broke the law and many do, BUT in doing so he was also attempting to CHEAT!!!!
In last years' series, darren Lehmann was caught by Channel 9's cameras picking at the seam of the ball ...essentially what Sachin did a couple of years ago.

What happened as a result ? Any ban, any fine ?
Nothing, but then again he's Australian isn't he......not one of those nasty, devious subcontinentals.

Talk about double standards....you want to have rules, apply them equally to all sides otherwise don't bother with them at all.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
what dravid done was wrong and he of all people should know better than what to and what not to do.

the fact that he got caught and as it has been stated whats a 50% match fine when the player gets 300k a year, i wouldnt care less about a match fine if tampering the ball at the end of the day got my side home in a close one. that 50% match fee he will just get back from his sponsors anyway.

i think india should loose the points in the vb cup game as it was a close game and who knows that the change of ball could have been the difference.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I rated Dravid up with the very best sportsmen ive encountered, Ive suddenly lost a whole lot of respect for him now :!(
Same here...As far as I'm concerned, this type of thing is the lowest of the low....He's just lucky I wasn't the Match Referee....I would have booted him for the rest of the series!!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
bugssy said:
what dravid done was wrong and he of all people should know better than what to and what not to do.

the fact that he got caught and as it has been stated whats a 50% match fine when the player gets 300k a year, i wouldnt care less about a match fine if tampering the ball at the end of the day got my side home in a close one. that 50% match fee he will just get back from his sponsors anyway.

i think india should loose the points in the vb cup game as it was a close game and who knows that the change of ball could have been the difference.
what Dravid did was silly but why punish the side for the actions of a particular individual ?

Anyway, the ball was changed after this episode so arguing that it affected the outcome of the game is not valid.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Blewy said:
Yes Dravid broke the rules and was deservedly punished. But in arguing that he was attempting to cheat, are u also prepared to accept that Shane Warne was attempting to cheat when he took the diuretic ? Diuretics do mask steroids asfter all.

Or were they both "naive and stupid" mistakes ?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They showed someone rubbing the ball on the big screen, but couldn't work out why, no I know. Can't believe it was Dravid. Anyone who is guilty of doing anything 'illegal' to the ball should have an automatic 1 match ban IMO.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Look AFAIAC any player who in anyway tries to get an undue advantage over the opposition or another competitor in any sport deserves to be punished, NOT by fine, cause as bugs stated Sponsors pick up the fines these days so what does that do for the player, absolutley nothing.....

Therefore there should be suspensions imposed to show the players that there unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated....

Dont give me this crap about Dravid not knowing what he was doing, that is the biggest load of **** and bull i've ever heard...
As well don't go saying im biased toward Indians, i would call for any player who has cheated to cop the same punishment...

Dravid is one of my favourite players in world cricket but i was bitterly dissapointed at his actions, and for someone who is branded a gentlemen and a great sportsman this is a big slur on his reputation IMO....

Choora

State Regular
If you break the law then you gotta be punished.It was very obvious as to what he did, to say that he made a mistake and we shoudn't be too harsh on such a gentleman would be a big mistake itself!

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
what Dravid did was silly but why punish the side for the actions of a particular individual ?

Anyway, the ball was changed after this episode so arguing that it affected the outcome of the game is not valid.
the game of cricket is a TEAM sport, the fact that only 1 certain individual did the wrong thing doesnt change anything else that he was cheating. as for someone mentioning shane warne, he did get punished with the year ban but that punishment was nothing on him missing to play in a world cup team, i think missing that is more punishment on its own than the yr ban...........................................

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
PY said:
No backlash from me because it's a fair question about whether a cough sweet does cause an advantage. I've never tried :P

Just a thought though.

Courtesy of www.bbc.co.uk:
"In the Laws of Cricket, law 42.3 allows fielders to polish the ball as long as "no artificial substance is used".

May help you but probably not :D
As far as what constiutes an "artifical substance", Simon Taufel told us at Umpire's Training last year that anything more than saliva will have the Umps watching for possible tampering...This includes scratching the ball with fingernails, using sunscreen to load the ball and anything else a player make think of, including rubbing the ball on the grass or the pitch.

So in that case, a cough sweet is considered artifical and Dravid deserved to be caught and fined!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am a huge Dravid fan. I also genuinely dont feel the loganse rubbing was ball tampering. But technically and as in the laws of the game, it is. So Dravid did cheat technically. And he is a senior player. So he should have been banned for a few games to set a precedent. I am often appalled how some people get away with sledging/ extra appealing (latest example - brad williams) and some people dont. But ball tampering is completely different as is paramounts to cheating. The thing that David may have done it kiddishly is even more disappointing one expected more from Dravid in such regards.

deeps

International 12th Man
theplayer i respected THE MOST in the indian line up..... i can't believe it, he has always struck me as a fair down to earth guy......i don't know wat to think after this :S he's my fav indian player, but i believe he deserved a bigger ban... 50 pcnt of a match fee is NOTHIGN 2 him... if some1 had stolen it, he prolly wouldn't have even NOTICED...he get's paid soo much from advertising and the ICB that 50 pcnt of a match fee is patehtic... the only way to hurt a cricketter is suspension....match fee losses r nothing..... if i were ref, i would've given him a 2 ODI or one Test match ban

I don't know whether it was an accident or not, but that defence didn't help Warney and it shouldn't help Dravid. You do the crime, you do the time in my opinion.

On another note, he seems to have been here long enough to pick up the lingo. I heard more than a few 'mate's while he was talking to reporters.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Blewy said:
Look AFAIAC any player who in anyway tries to get an undue advantage over the opposition or another competitor in any sport deserves to be punished, NOT by fine, cause as bugs stated Sponsors pick up the fines these days so what does that do for the player, absolutley nothing.....

Therefore there should be suspensions imposed to show the players that there unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated....

Dont give me this crap about Dravid not knowing what he was doing, that is the biggest load of **** and bull i've ever heard...
As well don't go saying im biased toward Indians, i would call for any player who has cheated to cop the same punishment...

Dravid is one of my favourite players in world cricket but i was bitterly dissapointed at his actions, and for someone who is branded a gentlemen and a great sportsman this is a big slur on his reputation IMO....
Yes, well the point is the ICC (through the match referess who represent them) are highly selective when it comes to punishing players.

Dravid was fined. Why wasn't Lehmann for his ball tampering during last year's VB series ? He picked the seam and was caught on camera.

These match referees can act tough when they apply the same standards to everyone not just players from certain countries.

Its not just ball tampering --- Shoiab Akhtar gets banned for verbal abuse. Mcgrath does just as bad against Sarwan (and not the first time either) and what happens -- a ban ? Noooooo.....just a little smack over the wrist.