• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Barry Richards deserve an exemption to be ranked among the greats of the game?

Great of the Game, yes or no

• Total voters

Chin Music

State 12th Man
The likes of Richards, Van Der Bijl, G. Pollock were a fair bit before my time. However, any look at their records in first class cricket and what they did when they played against the better opposition they were up against, be it WSC or rebel games suggest that they can be legitimately described as great cricketers to me, even if they are obviously by definition, not greats of the test game because of their lack of games.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
90% of the worlds top players where there in WSC ask the players if it was proper cricket, they will tell you they where, and some of the toughest games they ever played in.
I did say it was the grandest circus of its time. What more do you want?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly neither Barry Richards or W.G. Grace made our Top 50 Poll conducted in 2022. Will this change in the new poll starting tomorrow?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly neither Barry Richards or W.G. Grace made our Top 50 Poll conducted in 2022. Will this change in the new poll starting tomorrow?
Considering the relative amount of joke or meme votes in the bowlers poll, yes. Surprised everyone wasn’t voting Procter in as a bowler.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Greig is a bit of a different case to others as he'd already put his lot into qualifying for England before isolation started. It could be argued that, extremely clever as he was, he saw the way the tide was turning but I tend to exclude him from isolation era XIs as I'm pretty sure he'd have been an England player anyway.
Greig first played for Sussex in 1966, a couple of years before the D'Oliveira affair. But I don't know when he decided to throw his lot in with England rather than SA. Perhaps he thought he had more chance of breaking into the England side than SA.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Barry is arguable the 5th best opener ever, I don't know where Procter fits in exactly.
Well considering his county exploits and WSC record too he should be a top 10 pace bowler if Richards is a top 5 opener yet nobody voted for him in the bowling poll.

Love the consistency.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well considering his county exploits and WSC record too he should be a top 10 pace bowler if Richards is a top 5 opener yet nobody voted for him in the bowling poll.

Love the consistency.
I'm not nearly as familiar with Procter's career as I am of Richard's. And even then, I'm not sure where Barry lands either.

But you're always quick to accuse rather than ask.