• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you need to be tactically astute as a captain?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So seen much talk about tactics when captaining a team and I don't seen them as the same thing. Captaining is about managing a team for me, understanding your players, getting them to play as a team. Having the charisma to encourage and berate when needed. Having a presence and control over the different personalities. And of course you need the respect of the team.

As for the cricket tactics on the field, if you are not the best at tactics as a captain, that is fine; provided you listen to advice and you have a strategic person you can go to within the team. I would also expect quality international bowlers to have plans in place. And with the amount of back room staff and water-boys running on and off the field difficult to believe somebody of more tactical awareness is not available.

Think this is possibly different at lower levels, but for me the Test captain should be the best man manager in the team, that has the respect of his players.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yeah you need both.

That said I'd prioritise tactics over player management, as the latter can still be done by senior players and doesn't need to be quite as hands-on a role as tactics.

The captain is an official role that should be the overarching lead on decision-making on the field, so they should be a good tactician so that they don't veto good tactics for bad ones.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never underestimate the importance of speaking to the press, protecting player's egos etc

MrPrez

International Debutant
Never underestimate the importance of speaking to the press, protecting player's egos etc
You're not wrong. They're all important, but in the real world it's incredibly tough to find a captain who ticks every box - and I'd rather have performance on the field than performance off it if I have to prioritise.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If this is about QDK, he has neither imo
Not about anybody in particular.

Yeah you need both.

That said I'd prioritise tactics over player management, as the latter can still be done by senior players and doesn't need to be quite as hands-on a role as tactics.

The captain is an official role that should be the overarching lead on decision-making on the field, so they should be a good tactician so that they don't veto good tactics for bad ones.
I agree both are needed; you need some tactical awareness. I just look at it from a management perspective. Captaining is about managing a team, at least for me, on and off the field. You are still the leader even when not playing. Tactical awareness can come from anybody, provided that people are willing to listen. Management of players comes from leadership and most importantly for a team, from the captain. So it seems to be more important to manage, provided as a leader you are willing to listen to others ideas.

I have known many brilliant people, capable of brilliant thoughts and ideas but could not organise a piss-up in a brewery. It is a much rarer quality to be able to successfully manage a diverse group of people successfully.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
95% of successful captaincy is having decent players who have a modicum of respect for you, and not letting your personal performance drop in the process.

The "best captains" (not coincidentally) tend to have the best teams at their disposal.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're not wrong. They're all important, but in the real world it's incredibly tough to find a captain who ticks every box - and I'd rather have performance on the field than performance off it if I have to prioritise.
But one can lead to another. Keeping up say a fringe players confidence could be the difference between them having a Labuschagne series or a Head series

If you have an unsettled side wanting mutiny they won't play 100%. Business 101

Daemon

On one hand you see Root and think the leadership side of things is more important.

On the other you see Holder and think the opposite.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would it be fair to say the majority of captain's today are leaders of men. Lead through example. You not going to get Mike Brearley's or Peter van der Merwe's

Leader of men ie Gooch, Border, S.Waugh, Potning, G.Smith - they were pretty astute captains still. Maybe not M.Taylor, Cronje, Fleming astute but I don't think they ever lacked a cricket brain.

I suppose the answer is, you probably do but there are varying degrees of being "astute" possibly ?

But give me a leader who leads by example to allow the others to follow and the battle is half won.

Last edited:

Daemon

Faf, Kohli, Holder, Porterfield, Rashid Khan are the more 'natural' leaders that people rally around imo.

KW & Paine - neither here nor there
Root & Sarfraz - defs not there
Mushy & Dimuth - Can't really get a read on what their teammates think of them

Daemon

I mean I’m sure there are others who are really popular too but I’m more looking at the willingness of the rest to do his bidding and how much they’ll respect him if he tells them off etc. Dunno if he commands that level of respect.

All pure conjecture obviously

Flem274*

123/5
after captaincygate 2012 it became very clear to me that no matter if you're clever or lead from the front with your performance, you've got to be able to keep the team in line and performing to their best above all else.

this was reinforced by sandpaper day.

morgieb

Has a tactically astute captain ever been a poor leader of men? Seems like there's a natural order of precedence there.
My personal favourite captains to watch got at least half his side off-side, so yes.

Though admittedly it's hard to think of good non-Clarke examples.