• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do today's bowlers bowl too fast?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For sure.

But, as far as I know, there really wasn't much preperation of wickets in the 50's (and even thru the 70's). The groundsmen maintained the wickets but the natural wickets of Australia (barring the absolute north of the country like Darwin where the climate is humid a la Indonesia), South Africa & West Indies are fast and bouncy.
Well, some of them are (eg, The WACA, Kensington and Kingsmead). Others are slower and lower (eg Newlands, The MCG and Bourda).

Either way, I really don't believe that wickets of the '50s were quicker than those of the '70s, '80s and '90s, at comparable grounds.
I'm of the opinion that wickets (like uncontrollable things unique to a country such as climate and atmosphere) should remain as natural as possible. All the wickets nowadays are batting strips regardless of country.
Well, I'm in favour of plenty of preparation, but I don't like in the slightest the standardisation of wickets whereby a very large majority (not quite all) are prepared to be pretty dead. I like the preparation to preserve the historical traditions of a square.
The max sped could possibly be similar, but I'm almost possitive with the advantages nowadays (diet especially), that bowlers wouldn't be able to bowl 90mph+ consistently.
Even these days there aren't many who can. The likes of Mitchell Johnson, who rarely loses pace throughout a day's play, are very rare gems.

Even Darren Gough, who gave 100% to virtually every delivery he bowled, was often down on pace towards the end of a day.
I'm not an expert, though I do know the specifics of swing bowling (regular and reverse).

I'm pretty sure the fact there are both turbulent AND laminar flows acting on a ball shaped to swing (the seam pointed towards the direction you want the ball to swing and the boundary layer points of seperation offsetting resulting in the turbulent flow sticking to the surface of the rough side of the ball longer than the laminar flow on surface of the smooth side. The drop of pressure will move the ball towards the rough side) will slow it down moreso than having only 1 type of flow (laminar- which I'm sure will happen wtith the seam pointed straight as opposed to in 1 particular direction) on a ball shaped to go straight and the boundary layer's points of seperation leaving the ball's surface at the same time therefore not moving the ball.

Hope that makes sense, double check with a credible source (ie not the internet unless it's from a book published by a respectable publisher).
It makes sense (ie, I understand what you're saying) but I still don't know that it's conclusive. I'd like to see some actual observations of pace of many swinging and non-swinging balls (this is now possible to do - since the advent of HawkEye the speed of the ball as it travels down the pitch is clocked as well as straight out of the hand with the standard speedgun) and see whether there's a correlation that swinging ones slow down a bit more than straight ones.
Maybe, but then unlike Akhtar, as the day goes on his pace drops to that of fast-medium pace. I can't remember Shoaib bowling many deliveries below 90mph but I've seen Tait go as low as 84mph.
As I say, that isn't the point I'm making - I'm simply saying that Tait appears able to bowl 155kph+ with less effort than Shoaib. Shoaib could sustain 145-150kph pace far better than Tait, so far, has (mostly) been able to.
A guy "clocked" Tyson from real time video (most were 160kph+) using a frames per second method, but that (or any high motion camera methods) isn't a credible method IMO.
I don't think so either - Larwood has been "clocked" at something like 133kph (that's at fastest) via those methods and I don't believe that for a second - if he was incapable of even 140kph I'll eat my computer. It can be unreliable high and low.

Of course, he might have got the speed right but that doesn't mean the method was neccessarily reliable.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, some of them are (eg, The WACA, Kensington and Kingsmead). Others are slower and lower (eg Newlands, The MCG and Bourda).

Either way, I really don't believe that wickets of the '50s were quicker than those of the '70s, '80s and '90s, at comparable grounds.
Oh no, I meant compared to the wickets nowadays- the batsmen utopias.

Well, I'm in favour of plenty of preparation, but I don't like in the slightest the standardisation of wickets whereby a very large majority (not quite all) are prepared to be pretty dead. I like the preparation to preserve the historical traditions of a square.
Yeah for sure. Back in the 90's (when I started watching cricket), tours to South Africa meant facing Donald and Pollock on fast bouncy wickets, going to the West Indies (particularly Jamaica and Barbados) meant a lot of ducking. Lol.

Plenty of preperation nowadays just means plenty of heavy rolling and making the wicket as easy to bat on as possible. It's ridiculous. But the cricket boards are greedy for revenue.

Even these days there aren't many who can. The likes of Mitchell Johnson, who rarely loses pace throughout a day's play, are very rare gems.

Even Darren Gough, who gave 100% to virtually every delivery he bowled, was often down on pace towards the end of a day.
For sure, you don't expect a bowler to be at full pace but Tait's percentage is especially low.

He goes from a 150-152kph average during a spell to around 138-140kph at the end of a day. I agree he's best used in short sharp spells, but rarely is anything ideal in cricket. Look at the overbowling of Lillee by Greg Chappell. Dennis was capable of high mid-90mph but was burned out by over bowling.

If Tait was the same era as Gillespe, McGrath and Warne then I'm sure he'd be more succesful than nowadays. The 2005 Ashes was probably too soon for him, pluse McGrath was hardly at peak (even if he was still quality).

It makes sense (ie, I understand what you're saying) but I still don't know that it's conclusive. I'd like to see some actual observations of pace of many swinging and non-swinging balls (this is now possible to do - since the advent of HawkEye the speed of the ball as it travels down the pitch is clocked as well as straight out of the hand with the standard speedgun) and see whether there's a correlation that swinging ones slow down a bit more than straight ones.
I personally don't have the capacity to do that. Though it'd be good if SOMEONE did a comparison for sure.

Wind speed and direction also play a part in ball speed through the air. As long as all the aspects are taken into account and a fool-proof formula is developed then we'll get a definitive answer.

I don't think so either - Larwood has been "clocked" at something like 133kph (that's at fastest) via those methods and I don't believe that for a second - if he was incapable of even 140kph I'll eat my computer. It can be unreliable high and low.

Of course, he might have got the speed right but that doesn't mean the method was neccessarily reliable.
There's just too much left to human error. I too doubt Larwood couldn't bowl more than 82mph.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For sure, you don't expect a bowler to be at full pace but Tait's percentage is especially low.

He goes from a 150-152kph average during a spell to around 138-140kph at the end of a day. I agree he's best used in short sharp spells, but rarely is anything ideal in cricket. Look at the overbowling of Lillee by Greg Chappell. Dennis was capable of high mid-90mph but was burned out by over bowling.

If Tait was the same era as Gillespe, McGrath and Warne then I'm sure he'd be more succesful than nowadays. The 2005 Ashes was probably too soon for him, pluse McGrath was hardly at peak (even if he was still quality).
That comment was aimed at the bowlers of the 1950s, not Tait. I was merely saying that I think Lindwall, Trueman and the one or two others who could almost certainly bowl 90mph+ probably didn't lose pace as a day's play progressed that much more than those these days do.
I personally don't have the capacity to do that. Though it'd be good if SOMEONE did a comparison for sure.

Wind speed and direction also play a part in ball speed through the air. As long as all the aspects are taken into account and a fool-proof formula is developed then we'll get a definitive answer.
You'd need access to HawkEyes of many deliveries in many Tests to do it. It'd be something only some professional analysts who have access to the exclusive preserve of television production could do.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
That comment was aimed at the bowlers of the 1950s, not Tait. I was merely saying that I think Lindwall, Trueman and the one or two others who could almost certainly bowl 90mph+ probably didn't lose pace as a day's play progressed that much more than those these days do.
I meant in regards to current bowlers.

He seems to lose considerably more pace than Malinga, Steyn, Edwards, Johnson etc.

Last edited: