• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Aside from fitness, longevity, and the fact that I'm including Steyns decline while Bumrah's hasn't happened, probably. Not minor things OFC, but that's why I reckon Bumrah is rated too high for now.
Huh I meant the bolded part in what I quoted…

As great as Bumrah is how is he the best bowler you can remember watching when Steyn exists?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Apparently Miller is a worse bowler than Jadeja now. Cool cool cool.
Why would that be such a hard sell? I won't definitely say one is better or worse, personally. But both were more support bowlers than lead options. Personally I think it is quite close between the two.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Huh I meant the bolded part in what I quoted…

As great as Bumrah is how is he the best bowler you can remember watching when Steyn exists?
If Bumrah took another 270ish wickets playing as he has been, he'd very much be in the conversation for ahead of Steyn. I'm not saying definitively better, but debatable.

Socerer 01

International Captain
with Bumrah its easy to see why anyone who has seen him bowl rates him so highly

he is the most complete pace bowler at the moment and maybe in the history of cricket ever, longevity is the main barrier to his place in the hall of fame, if he gets that then he should be top 5 of all time

ma1978

International 12th Man
with Bumrah its easy to see why anyone who has seen him bowl rates him so highly

he is the most complete pace bowler at the moment and maybe in the history of cricket ever, longevity is the main barrier to his place in the hall of fame, if he gets that then he should be top 5 of all time
Malcolm Marshall and Wasim Akram, buddy.

ma1978

International 12th Man
If Bumrah took another 270ish wickets playing as he has been, he'd very much be in the conversation for ahead of Steyn. I'm not saying definitively better, but debatable.
yeah if hed 400+ wickets averaging 20 something, hed be the GOAT but that's a long way off and probably not possible given his age

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
yeah if hed 400+ wickets averaging 20 something, hed be the GOAT but that's a long way off and probably not possible given his age
Even 300 is a long way off. And I never assume bowlers won't come down a bit as they age. Just saying how much respect I've got for him, while still saying I think he should be ranked lower.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

You can say this about a fair few pace bowlers at different points in time, it doesn’t mean much.

Socerer 01

International Captain
That wasn’t your argument lol. You’re saying Bumrah could be the GOAT based on a similar length of time being the “most complete fast bowler in the world”
amongst other obvious things like him being ****ing good that i didnt state because they were too obvious, yes

this forum docks points from spinners for not being as versatile as pacers in general, from Anderson and Philander for not being as useful when conditions arent in their favour yet doing the opposite and marking someone up for being an all round complete player is weird now? not to mention the strangest strawman possible of McKenzie from 60s