• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn Opening

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I heard on the news that Damien Martyn will be opening in tomorrows game against Zimbabwe in Adelaide. I think it might be his last chance to get some form before he is dropped. He has a good record when opening though....

raw

Cricket Spectator
I think you might be right. If he can get close to a 50 I think he'll hang on, I don't think he needs a ton to stay on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Martyn's ODI average is still in excess of 41.
To drop someone of this statistical excellence is pure folly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rather than deciding whether they will drop him or not I see this rather as an opportunity to grab form. If he fails then it's ashame but if he scores 50+ then it worked.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i think its a good move, he needs some time out in the middle so opening could get his confidence up and get him going the only bad think is that when your confidence is down the last thing u wont is to open up and the ball moving around.

cant see him getting dropped though, he is a classy batsmen

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
So you pick someone on career stats rather than results? IMO Martyn should be 'rested' to send a message that he needs to score runs to claim a place in the Australian team. Given their high standards, I would expect nothing less.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Its a good move moving Damien Martyn up to opener.

Martyn went well in the TVS Cup just recently, so it would be most unfair for him to be dropped now. He is just down on conifdence at the moment.

The point is that there's only so long you can carry someone in the team. Let's hope that he has a big one today, if not for his sake then for Linda's. :lol:

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
So say someone use to average over 50 and dropped down to 41, you would still keep him even though he is clearly in a bad patch of form?

I'm not using Martyn as an example for the above.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Think its a chance to get some form not be dropped. From what i can gather martyn's fairly clicky with ponting so doubt he'll be dropped, (was said in the media only reason symonds went to WC 2003 was cos Ponting was mates with him and was adament he wanted him there).

With an average of 41 martyn will come off a some point, Tendulkar (i know better than martyn) was in a similar situation before new year remember.

Maddy

Cricket Spectator
In the last ODI series, in India around November last year, Martyn's stats

1 hundred
2 fifties
Average 50.00

but 1 series later he's in danger of being dropped? harsh...

Martyn is pure class and should be given many more chances

deeps

International 12th Man
um,i hate 2 burst ur bubbles....he just got out for 9.....i'm guessing he'll get one last opportunity and if he doesn't make over 35 runs,he's gone

deeps

International 12th Man
furious_ged said:
That's right. He looked a million dollars, until he was caught by a brilliant catch.
um, he made that catch much more difficult....yes,the 2nd effort was increddible........but a good fielder would've taken it on the first

You'd think so, but Marto absolutely middled it. There was nothing wrong with the shot, that was the right idea, that ball was travelling fast. The fact that it just blew it's way right through Ebrahim's hands says a lot.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
You'd think so, but Marto absolutely middled it. There was nothing wrong with the shot, that was the right idea, that ball was travelling fast. The fact that it just blew it's way right through Ebrahim's hands says a lot.
yeah,its not as if it was a mis-hit and it just spooned to Ebrahim.