• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Wasim Akram vs Curtly Ambrose

Better Test Match Bowler

• Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Dale Steyn

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolo

State Captain
Fair point but Steyn still has the highest WPM remarkably. Pollock was in the twilight of his career, Kallis only bowled 20 overs per match. Morkel and Ntini were decent (Morkel has the fewest 5-fers for anyone with 300 wickets, I think).

I think Steyn also benefited from a solid batting line-up the most too.
Benefited in WPM from stronger batting outfit and less draws per era.

Lost out in WPM from the speed his teammates were striking at- guys like Morkel and ntini were not great bowlers, but they were great strike bowlers.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Lost out in WPM from the speed his teammates were striking at- guys like Morkel and ntini were not great bowlers, but they were great strike bowlers.
That makes Marshall's stats even more remarkable. GOAT.

Mr Miyagi

Banned

But his average and SR arguably benefit from wickets falling at both ends as he spends more time bowling to new batsmen thanks to wickets he has not taken than still bowling to set batsmen.

Last edited:

trundler

But his average and SR arguably benefit from wickets falling at both ends as he spends more time bowling to new batsmen than to set batsmen.
There's also the fact that: 1) his home tests are in SA 2) runs are scored quicker so batsmen take more chances and therefore SRs will be higher.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
There's also the fact that: 1) his home tests are in SA 2) runs are scored quicker so batsmen take more chances and therefore SRs will be higher.
Just look at the average runs per wicket for all players during their home careers and see if there's needs to be an adjustment.

James Anderson and Ashwin/Jadeja are ones that springs to mind far more than Curtley, Dale or Wasim.

But if you're going to choose one place to excel in, it may as well be home.

Bolo

State Captain
But his average and SR arguably benefit from wickets falling at both ends as he spends more time bowling to new batsmen thanks to wickets he has not taken than still bowling to set batsmen.
Likely. I don't know if we can say it had a meaningful impact though- might make virtually no difference.

trundler

Just look at the average runs per wicket for all players during their home careers and see if there's needs to be an adjustment.

James Anderson and Ashwin/Jadeja are ones that springs to mind far more than Curtley, Dale or Wasim.

But if you're going to choose one place to excel in, it may as well be home.
One would be insane to imply Steyn was a home-track bully. He's in the top echelon of fast bowling greats because he's great everywhere. The point was that playing in SA is better than playing on the flat tracks of WI and Pakistan.

TheJediBrah

I don't think you can really split these guys regardless. When statistically players are so similar any differences could easily be a result of their individual experiences, opponents and conditions. If they played in each other's teams who knows whether their stats would have been any different. In the end which one you choose largely comes down to personal preference.

Personally I go with Akram because I think he played in tougher fast bowling conditions, though you could argue that it suited his style (reverse swing etc.).

trundler

I don't think you can really split these guys regardless. When statistically players are so similar any differences could easily be a result of their individual experiences, opponents and conditions. If they played in each other's teams who knows whether their stats would have been any different. In the end which one you choose largely comes down to personal preference.

Personally I go with Akram because I think he played in tougher fast bowling conditions, though you could argue that it suited his style (reverse swing etc.).
I don't buy that argument much. It factors in to an extent but hey there's koalas that evolved specifically to eat ****ing eucalyptus and who knows if they'd be better off eating better stuff but they dont and they're fine eating eucalyptus. Point is, Akram's style was forged by his circumstances and who knows if he would have been worse off playing for Western Australia or something.

Mr Miyagi

Banned

Younis averages 20.29 in Pakistan for his career. I just don't think Imran would like at himself, Waqar and Wasim and say give Mushtaq a dustbowl to bowl on please.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Oh the batting trend is already proven. It is which bowler got the benefit of it the most often that is difficult to prove without going through individual scorecards.

https://www.quora.com/Which-number-or-score-has-seen-the-maximum-dismissals-in-Cricket

0 8039
1 3208
10 1444
15 1098
This is simply an obvious fact. No way to extrapolate from this info to meaningful impact.

Bear in mind that if his teammates are striking faster, they will be striking faster against newer batsmen as well, giving Steyn less chance to bowl at them. They will also be giving away more free runs, allowing bats to get off these low scores quickly- letting them settle faster if you are using runs scored rather than time at the crease.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This is simply an obvious fact. No way to extrapolate from this info to meaningful impact.

Bear in mind that if his teammates are striking faster, they will be striking faster against newer batsmen as well, giving Steyn less chance to bowl at them. [this is competition for wickets in wpm, but it can help lead to a longer second innings chance to bowl at them :P] They will also be giving away more free runs, allowing bats to get off these low scores quickly- letting them settle faster if you are using runs scored rather than time at the crease.
I don't get your second point. What are you suggesting here?

Last edited:

Daemon

I like to compare with peers and Steyn was about about 6 levels clear of anyone else for large parts of his career.

How long was Ambrose #1 for?

TheJediBrah

I don't buy that argument much. It factors in to an extent but hey there's koalas that evolved specifically to eat ****ing eucalyptus and who knows if they'd be better off eating better stuff but they dont and they're fine eating eucalyptus. Point is, Akram's style was forged by his circumstances and who knows if he would have been worse off playing for Western Australia or something.
I was actually going to say exactly that as well but cbf'd. No doubt Akram's style was suited to his home conditions because of adaptation. It's just personal preference as I said, cause I can't really come up with much to split them.

Bolo

State Captain
Younis averages 20.29 in Pakistan for his career. I just don't think Imran would like at himself, Waqar and Wasim and say give Mushtaq a dustbowl to bowl on please.
I'll buy the argument for Curtley on home conditions. Akram got a ton of his wickets from reverse. I think he benefited from home conditions as much as Steyn did.

Steyn had a much tougher job on away conditions than either.

trundler

For Steyn to average almost the same in Asia as his career average is simply stunning.

trundler

I was actually going to say exactly that as well but cbf'd. No doubt Akram's style was suited to his home conditions because of adaptation. It's just personal preference as I said, cause I can't really come up with much to split them.
And I thought my koala example was bizarre :laugh:

trundler

Imran averages around 20 at home but over 25 in England. One would assume that his fast-medium swing bowling would be suited to England more than Pakistan but that's how it is.