• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Time for another trio..

47 Andy Roberts
Total Points: 30
Highest Pick: 7th
2011 Ranking: New Entry

Andy Roberts was a 'deadpan and deadly' quick who averaged 20 in ODIs. Despite playing only 56 matches, Roberts participated in 3 World Cups winning the first two. Quite curiously he bowled 20 wicket-less overs in the wins and then took 3-32 in the 1983 loss against India.

Main memory: Part of the famed West Indies quartet.

46 Chris Gayle
Total Points: 33
Highest Pick: 7th
2011 Ranking: 49th

A devastating opening batsman, Gayle scored 22 centuries in 269 matches for the West Indies. Gayle is in third place all time for the number of sixes in a career and he has the 4th highest individual score of all time. Gayle's off spinners were handy too, taking 163 wickets and he had a clean pair of hands taking 114 catches.

Main memory: His sixes down the ground were a thing of beauty

45 Jonty Rhodes
Total Points: 34
Highest Pick: 8th
2011 Ranking: 48th

Jonty Rhodes was an important middle order bat for South Africa throughout the 1990's and early 2000s. A busy batsman who was lightning between the wickets, Rhodes was without doubt best known for his sublime fielding. If Jonty Rhodes was a Family Feud question, Fielding would comfortably be the top answer.

Main memory: That Inzy run out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And a bonus..

44 Ian Harvey
Total Points: 40
Highest Pick: 2nd

Ian Harvey had an unremarkable career in the canary yellow. While he dominated against helpless county cricketers, Harvey never really settled in the Australian setup, averaging 30 with the ball and under 18 with the bat. In ODIs, his bowling was serviceable, his batting was a complete disappointment, never once reaching 50.

Main memory: The whole BS freak nickname. I know he had the ability to throw well with his left hand and he potentially could hit the ball hard and bowl a mean slower ball, but I honestly can't remember a single freakish ODI performance. Sorry to the two Ian Harvey fans who voted, not sorry to the other 27.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And a bonus..

44 Ian Harvey
Total Points: 40
Highest Pick: 2nd

Ian Harvey had an unremarkable career in the canary yellow. While he dominated against helpless county cricketers, Harvey never really settled in the Australian setup, averaging 30 with the ball and under 18 with the bat. In ODIs, his bowling was serviceable, his batting was a complete disappointment, never once reaching 50.

Main memory: The whole BS freak nickname. I know he had the ability to throw well with his left hand and he potentially could hit the ball hard and bowl a mean slower ball, but I honestly can't remember a single freakish ODI performance. Sorry to the two Ian Harvey fans who voted, not sorry to the other 27.
Alright start owning up who did this ****

This is why we cant have nice things

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's pretty seriously out of place. Not even sure if Harvey would make my Top 200 ODI cricketers of all-time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jaideep, thanks for pointing out my Greg Chappell error. The total points remain correct, just his best rating is wrong. His highest was actually 12th. I did the counting of the highest picks after counting up the total points and the player directly after Chappell on my list had a highest pick of 8th. I can't edit the OP.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow... yeah that's an absolute shocker. I wonder who's responsible? Highest rank of second? You'd have to be genuinely crazy.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I think we need to do the sensible and unanimously take out Harvey out of this. Good player but can't be in the top 50. Everyone from 45 to 51 can move a slot up. If any of the voters can provide a proper reason, we can retain.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Jaideep, thanks for pointing out my Greg Chappell error. The total points remain correct, just his best rating is wrong. His highest was actually 12th. I did the counting of the highest picks after counting up the total points and the player directly after Chappell on my list had a highest pick of 8th. I can't edit the OP.
Cheers,pal.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thought Noofers was doing troll checks. Why, Nuf??
I was. It is just hard to call an entire list BS, if a voter rates someone way above what most people rate him. Especially when there was only 99 options to chose from.

I decided to finish the night on Harvey because he was the out of place guy I mentioned earlier. The next trio will get the list back on track.