• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Stock Exchange Project

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But say you want to buy Quiney shares I'd give you 1.20 or something. You can buy a hundred of them at the moment but it's unlikely he'll get a go so the best you will do is never see your brokerage fee again.
But if he starts the County Cricket season well for Essex, his value should still increase yes and even if he goes up 10c, that's a decent % increase compared to the risk of taking on shares in, say, Ryan Harris who might breakdown at any moment and whose stock could turn to junk.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But if he starts the County Cricket season well for Essex, his value should still increase yes and even if he goes up 10c, that's a decent % increase compared to the risk of taking on shares in, say, Ryan Harris who might breakdown at any moment and whose stock could turn to junk.
Possibly so. I think largely the prices should be based on chances of performing well at international level. I don't know though, just my thoughts on it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Possibly so. I think largely the prices should be based on chances of performing well at international level. I don't know though, just my thoughts on it.
Well, I agree, but if Quiney starts the season with a bang for Essex then his chances of international action go up from 'None Whatsoever' to 'Maybe if some horrible accident rules out half the top order'. Hence, impacting his chance of playing international cricket, making him a more investable commodity.

Not really sure if he's the best example, but say, Trent Copeland is playing cricket in the UK this summer and say a couple of bowlers got injured on tour, if he'd been playing well in County Cricket then it's possible he could get a call-up.

benchmark00

Well, I agree, but if Quiney starts the season with a bang for Essex then his chances of international action go up from 'None Whatsoever' to 'Maybe if some horrible accident rules out half the top order'. Hence, impacting his chance of playing international cricket, making him a more investable commodity.

Not really sure if he's the best example, but say, Trent Copeland is playing cricket in the UK this summer and say a couple of bowlers got injured on tour, if he'd been playing well in County Cricket then it's possible he could get a call-up.
Well there's nothing stopping you from taking a punt on these players if you're happy to see returns of .10 a share.

uvelocity

International Coach
players are gonna need to provide the market information on anything which would negatively affect their price. also would be interested in certain players performance estimates

Quaggas

State Captain
Each CW member gets an endowment. Each player is valued in an IPO by some/several "investment banks" (like bench did, can start out with just a few issues) and issued with some number of shares offered to CW members. Eg if Clarke's worth is pegged at 20,000,000 and 1,000,000 shares are offered, the IPO price is $20. The shares' subsequent value depends on whatever is bid-asked.

The kicker is that each share pays a dividend based say on that player's latest ICC ranking. Members must determine if the price they pay for a player is worth the dividends they can expect. They can also earn a risk free rate if they leave their endowment in cash.

benchmark00

Each CW member gets an endowment. Each player is valued in an IPO by some/several "investment banks" (like bench did, can start out with just a few issues) and issued with some number of shares offered to CW members. Eg if Clarke's worth is pegged at 20,000,000 and 1,000,000 shares are offered, the IPO price is $20. The shares' subsequent value depends on whatever is bid-asked.

The kicker is that each share pays a dividend based say on that player's latest ICC ranking. Members must determine if the price they pay for a player is worth the dividends they can expect. They can also earn a risk free rate if they leave their endowment in cash.
That's actually pretty good. I particularly like the ICC ranking aspect as it takes the human element out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cool idea. I just like the concept of seeing who's risen or fallen in people's estimates during any particular series.

Good to see Benchy acknowledge that Siddle is currently the 3rd best Australian.

Quaggas

State Captain
Also, anyone can initiate an IPO, but they must eat any loss that is not subscribed.

Edit: There has to be competition for the IPO, though

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Using discounted cash flow or real option valuation? I am not touching this with a ten foot pole. Call me in when (not if) you go into a spiraling recession though. I am an economist. Can help (Famous last words) :laugh:

Quaggas

State Captain
Using discounted cash flow or real option valuation? I am not touching this with a ten foot pole. Call me in when (not if) you go into a spiraling recession though. I am an economist. Can help (Famous last words) :laugh:
Well, since there is a rf rate, the answer is obvious.... Also, don't think one need worry about a derivatives market yet, though shorting is a start. And, since true value is tied to ICC valuation, a "recession" is tied to an overall decline in standards.

harsh.ag

Well, since there is a rf rate, the answer is obvious.... Also, don't think one need worry about a derivatives market yet, though shorting is a start. And, since true value is tied to ICC valuation, a "recession" is tied to an overall decline in standards.
No, true valuation is tied to the expected ICC valuations. So, you know :D

Quaggas

State Captain
No, true valuation is tied to the expected ICC valuations. So, you know :D
No, true valuation is the realized ICC score. You trade based on your expectation - and that's exactly where CW members' expertise comes in. Now, ofc, if you are levered too much, the market can stay irrational for longer than you can stay solvent.

Edit: There probably has to be a decent labor income component to the endowment based on posts, for example, otherwise too many will be kicked out early

Last edited: