• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All Time Country XI Discussion Thread

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, separating #3 and the middle order is a cheat. I'm not having any of that. Lump them together and pick one country.

watson

Banned
Yeah, separating #3 and the middle order is a cheat. I'm not having any of that. Lump them together and pick one country.
OK then, which is the stronger 'middle-order'?

03. Don Bradman
04. Greg Chappell
05. Allan Border
06. Keith Miller

OR

03. George Headley
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Gary Sobers

On the other-hand we could also use the category of 'Top-Order' and also ask which is the stronger?

01. Arthur Morris
02. Victor Trumper
03. Don Bradman

OR

01. Gordon Greenidge
02. Conrad Hunte
03. George Headley

We could then have;

04. Greg Chappell
05. Allan Border
06. Keith Miller

OR

04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers

But to be honest, I think that an English 'Top-Order' and a West Indian 'Middle-Order' gives the strongest Combination overall;

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Walter Hammond
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO,

English Openers
Australian Middle Order

OR

Australian Top Order
West Indies/Australian Middle Order, depending on Sobers vs Miller.

Bradman makes whichever group he's in non-negotiable, IMO.

watson

Banned
IMO,

English Openers
Australian Middle Order

OR

Australian Top Order
West Indies/Australian Middle Order, depending on Sobers vs Miller.

Bradman makes whichever group he's in non-negotiable, IMO.
I think that the more countries represented the merrier; and therefore suggest the following make-up as the strongest;

a. English Top-Order
b. West Indian Middle-Order
c. South African Keeper
d. Australian Quicks
e. Sri Lankan Spinner

Which gives;

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Walter Hammond
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Dennis Lillee
10. Murali
11. Glenn McGrath

Hobbs and Hutton are significantly stronger than Morris and Trumper, and Lara-Richards-Sobers cannot be ignored. I think that there is enough compensation in those 5 batsman for the absence of Bradman. Plus Hammond was no fool with the bat + ball and is worth a place.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want all different countries, class Proctor as a fast bowler and have:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Proctor
Steyn
Muralitharan
Donald

watson

Banned
If you want all different countries, class Proctor as a fast bowler and have:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Proctor
Steyn
Muralitharan
Donald
Still prefer Lillee-McGrath-Lindwall over Donald-Procter-Steyn

Flem274*

123/5
One player from each country (plus Bradman)

1. Hobbs
2. Gavaskar
3. Bradman
4. Kallis
5. Flower
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Imran
9. Shakib
10. Hadlee
11. Muralitharan

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
One player from each country (plus Bradman)

1. Hobbs
2. Gavaskar
3. Bradman
4. Kallis
5. Flower
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Imran
9. Shakib
10. Hadlee
11. Muralitharan
Pretty damn good team.

Still prefer Lillee-McGrath-Lindwall over Donald-Procter-Steyn
Think Gilly offers so much more than Waite. Plus, Proctor and Steyn are right up there, for me at least, amongst top fast bowlers. Proctor adds quite a bit with the batting depth too.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Pretty damn good team.

Think Gilly offers so much more than Waite. Plus, Proctor and Steyn are right up there, for me at least, amongst top fast bowlers. Proctor adds quite a bit with the batting depth too.
Waite kept 'flawlessly' to Adcock, Heine, and Tayfield and is at least Gilchrist's equal behind the stumps. Possibly more so. He was also good enough with the bat to score centuries against Tyson, Bedser and Lock in Manchester, and also against Davidson, Kline, and Benaud in Durban.

Waite also enables the inclusion of Lillee-McGrath-Lindwall who are the players most likely to win a Test match IMO.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No Problem

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton

George Headley
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers

Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding

No way Bradman, Chappell, Border, Miller is a better unit than Headley, Richards, Lara, Sobers. The W.I lineup has four of the top seven batsmen of All Time IMHO, better as a unit overall. Was separating them as Benaud when he was selecting his team had them separated as openers, no. 3, middle order and all rounder. But this was is fine as well.

akilana

International 12th Man
Australian middle order is far stronger with Don being twice the batsman Lara is and I will take their fast bowling unit over WI for the variety it offers.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that the more countries represented the merrier; and therefore suggest the following make-up as the strongest;

a. English Top-Order
b. West Indian Middle-Order
c. South African Keeper
d. Australian Quicks
e. Sri Lankan Spinner

Which gives;

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Walter Hammond
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Dennis Lillee
10. Murali
11. Glenn McGrath

Hobbs and Hutton are significantly stronger than Morris and Trumper, and Lara-Richards-Sobers cannot be ignored. I think that there is enough compensation in those 5 batsman for the absence of Bradman. Plus Hammond was no fool with the bat + ball and is worth a place.
This one isn't bad at all. Better cordon than mine as well. Still prefer Headley as a No. 3 over Hammond though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australian middle order is far stronger with Don being twice the batsman Lara is and I will take their fast bowling unit over WI for the variety it offers.
No one is twice the batsman Lara is, but you are entitled to you opnion. Also it's more of a direct comparrison btwn Bradman and Headley, and he wasn't twice the batsman George was either.

As far as the fast bowlers go, nothing really to choose between Marshall and Ambrose and Mcgrath and Lillee, I rate them Marshall, McGrath, Ambrose and Lillee as my top four over all, so perhaps a sligh edge for the Windies, but Holding is for me clearly superior to Miller and has a slight edge over Lindwall if that option is preferred. Don't quite understand the variety comment.

Slifer

International Captain
I think he confused overall bowling attack with fast bowling attack, in which case WI has a distinct advantage. U have the swing bowler can bowl nething ne where best of the best MM, then the metronome can take it to another level and nasty at times Ambrose. The super fast, super smooth quite effective on the deadest of wickets Michael Holding and last but certainly not least the highly underrated watch ur toes, most difficult to hit Joel Garner.

akilana

International 12th Man
Confused? Nah. McGrath and Lillee are arguably the greatest bowlers of all time and Davidson was the best left armer. Then you have Miller.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Confused? Nah. McGrath and Lillee are arguably the greatest bowlers of all time and Davidson was the best left armer. Then you have Miller.
Davidson should definitely be in there imo. Always seems to be underrated in these types of discussions though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
But the team selected has Miller as the third quick, so the contest of the best pace attack for this exercise would be between

Marshall, Ambrose, Holding
McGrath, Lillee, Miller
Imran, Akram, Waqar
Steyn, Donald, Proctor
Trueman, Larwood, Barnes

Even if Davidson replaces Miller, I personally still rate Holding over him. Holding in the '70's was basically the equal of Lillee and also proved himself on the deadest pitches in India and then there was his performance at the oval. He was quite simply brilliant.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Davidson should definitely be in there imo. Always seems to be underrated in these types of discussions though.
As I have been saying of late, Australia would be better served with this squad, a final XI of

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Chappell
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Don't see the need for the two spinners, while at the same time weakening the batting order.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No Problem

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton

George Headley
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers

Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding

No way Bradman, Chappell, Border, Miller is a better unit than Headley, Richards, Lara, Sobers. The W.I lineup has four of the top seven batsmen of All Time IMHO, better as a unit overall. Was separating them as Benaud when he was selecting his team had them separated as openers, no. 3, middle order and all rounder. But this was is fine as well.
Nope. You've already picked Sobers as the all-rounder at no.6 so his batting superiority over Miller or anyone else is utterly irrelevant to the selection of the 3-4-5 middle-order block. The actual comparison is Bradman-Chappell-Border vs Headley-Richards-Lara.