• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Curtly Ambrose vs Muttiah Muralitharan

Who was the better test bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In these comps with the very best fast bowlers vs Murali, I can't remotely get past how India and Lara took him to the cleaners, and to a lesser extent how he performed against Australia. Ambrose had a rough record against India, primarily due to the '89 series, and for later on, even when he wasn't taking wickets you couldn't score off of him.

Murali was a monster at home, not quite the same away, and yes, somewhat conditions dependent. Ambrose was just brilliant home and away and his performances and record especially vs Australia places him in the very upper pantheon of bowlers.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Murali averaged 29 away from home outside Bangladesh. It was never below 25 too, therefore not entirely wrecked by longevity. He did have to play a lot in pace-orientated conditions, but look at how dominant Wasim was in Asia.
That's an extremely dishonest way to put it. His away average is skewed by Aus and India. He averages 19 in England, 20 in NZ, 26 in SA, 25 in Pak, 23 in WI. Those are great numbers.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
That's an extremely dishonest way to put it. His away average is skewed by Aus and India. He averages 19 in England, 20 in NZ, 26 in SA, 25 in Pak, 23 in WI. Those are great numbers.
That post was partially trolling because numbers being skewed by one or two teams or countries etc isn't always taken into account on here. Murali's record in several places is extraordinary.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That post was partially trolling because numbers being skewed by one or two teams or countries etc isn't always taken into account on here. Murali's record in several places is extraordinary.
No one disputes this, he a top 2 spinner and top 10 bowler of all time. But he's been thumped by two teams and Lara to an unprecedented degree. At least among ATG bowlers.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
No one disputes this, he a top 2 spinner and top 10 bowler of all time. But he's been thumped by two teams and Lara to an unprecedented degree. At least among ATG bowlers.
Yeah. My reconsideration for this matchup is more due to the greatness of Ambrose tbh.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. My reconsideration for this matchup is more due to the greatness of Ambrose tbh.
Well he's in my top 5. No matter the scenario, once we had Curtly I believed we had a chance.

Those magical spells, 7 for 1, and bowling out England for 46 were highlights of my cricketing experience. Brilliant home and away and even if he wasn't getting wickets you weren't scoring off him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't care about analysis by check-list for Murali and it's close because he can bowl longer spells and take on a bigger workload, but I'm giving this one to Ambrose, just.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Well he's in my top 5. No matter the scenario, once we had Curtly I believed we had a chance.

Those magical spells, 7 for 1, and bowling out England for 46 were highlights of my cricketing experience. Brilliant home and away and even if he wasn't getting wickets you weren't scoring off him.
You mean this didn't happen every other week???