• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez. That's a bloody tough game - but you have to win those toughies to prove how much of a stud good player you are.

Good work, though I'm hoping it won't have buggered my fitness up too much.

Looks like the best victory of the round was by Mahboob though.

Mister Wright

****! Can't believe I missed this thread. Missed out on some good stuff by the looks of it. Hopefully I don't miss too much more.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wow I had an epic match against 6th seed David Lebègue 6-4 2-6 7-6(9). Great win!

P.S this is a bloody tough qualifying campaign!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm going to give injuries a miss until I can get myself a reliable injury generator.
Neil programmed one based on FM for CW XI. I'm fairly sure he wouldn't mind it being used for this purpose.

Looks like I have a decent chance of making it through thanks to Rob's efforts against Lebègue. Will be tough beating Rob though, I don't think the Ecuadorian will do much.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Australian Open Qualifiers (R64) - Jan 19- Feb 1 Season I

Australian Open
Qualifiers (R64) - Melbourne

Top Half
Section One
Section Two
Section Three
Section Four
Bottom Half
Section Five
Section Six
Section Seven
Section Eight

CWLand's Caresh Mahboob will go into his qualifying final as underdog with another dominant upset in qualifying - this time against Patrick Ambrose of Britain. After defeating the top seed in straight sets, the 21-year old looked in unstoppable touch in the opening set as he raced through to a 6-0 win in just 27 minutes. Things looked better for the Brit in the second set as he held service in the first game after the embarrassing opening set, before making it 2-0 with a fighting performance. But Mahboob broke back in the seventh game and then levelled the set at four apiece en route to a tiebreaker. Mahboob proved too strong and sealed a 6-0 7-6(2) win to set up a finals clash with Aldo Marín of Paraguay who destroyed Morton Blundell of the Bahamas - dropping just one game.

It wasn't such a good day for Ryan Fredericks as he gave away a one-set lead to fall to unseeded Spaniard Rafael Fernando in three sets. "Ranga" managed to break Fernando's serve in the fourth game of the opening set to take a commanding 3-1 lead - a break he held on his way to claiming the first set 6-3. But just as he looked like joining Mahboob a finals spot, he was thoroughly outplayed by Fernando in the second and was unbelievably lucky to take it to a tiebreaker. There Fernando's class shone through as he didn't concede a point to claim the set. Fredericks dropped his first service game of the third and was down 2-0 - a scoreline he failed to overcome as Fernando booked a spot against America's Jason Bradley with a 3-6 7-6(0) 6-4 victory.

Randy Smeltz also gave up a one-set lead to bow out in the round of 64 as Sweden's Henrik Henrikkson claimed an ultimately convincing three set win. Smeltz took the only break of the first set to edge past the Swede, but was unable to maintain his composure as he dropped the second set 3-6. Things only went downhill from there for Smeltz as Henrikkson continued to find his range as he broke the serve of Smeltz three times. The German-born 28 year old broke back once, but it wasn't enough as he crashed to a 6-4 3-6 2-6 loss. Had Smeltz won, he wouldn't have been facing Hamish McSporran as the CWLander dropped his match in straight sets to Henry Charles. In a even contest, it was the superior polish of Charles that allowed him to get a deciding break in the first set and to get the better of McSporran in the breaker on his way to a 6-4 7-6(3) victory.

Jefferson Drake's impressive form of late continued as he knocked out tenth seed Sam Cunningham from New Zealand with an impressive straight sets win. In his first round clash, Drake was made to work tirelessly for a win over South African Shaun Lesley. But despite higher ranked opposition, Drake had it easier despite the closeness of the match - his early break in the first set left little doubt as to who was in better form early as he coasted to a 6-4 win. Cunningham continued to try and force the issue on Drake's serve but was unable to effect a break, whilst Drake seemed content to send the second to a tiebreaker where he would seal a showdown with Pablo Scalforo with a 6-2 7-6(4) victory.

Mat Mitchell set up a qualifier final showdown with twentieth seed Christopher Durand following a come-from-behind victory over Anothy Ficher. Mitchell, who overcame fourteenth seed Yitkhak Eban in his first match, looked lacklustre in the first set as Ficher had little trouble in a 6-2 win. But Mitchell found some of the fire that brought him through his first round contest to break early in the second and third sets and claim an impressive 2-6 6-4 6-4 victory. Mitchell now faces Ficher for a spot in the main draw of the Australian Open; Durand an imposing task following his demolition job of Juris Tarasovs.

Section 7 had three CWLand representatives and two were able to keep their dream of a spot in the Australian Open alive with victories. Sven Oxenstierna was the first with a superb straight sets with over 29th seed Ilya Nesterov of Kazakhstan - "The Ox" looking in fine touch as he rarely looked troubled by the Kazakh en route to a finals berth. Roy Daniels was similarly impressive with a 6-4 6-0 thumping of 24-year old Massimo Prodi. Prodi dropped the first set 4-6 in the first set and didn't recover, Daniels through to the final to face eleventh seed Gocha Berianidze on the back of a dominant win. But for Rob Bowenburg, the journey was over at the hands of Ecuadorian teenager Paul Arroyo. Whilst Bowenburg knocked out a seeded player in the first round, the promising Arroyo continued his winning ways with a big straight sets win. Bowenburg made a comeback after an embarrassing first set, but wasn't good enough in the end to avoid Arroyo advancing on the back of a 6-1 7-5 victory.

In the final section of the group, Heath Davis showed few signs of fatigue with a come-from-behind victory over Argentina's Emelio Cobos. The 26-year old Cobos faced a difficult prospect in Davis despite his elementary first round win, but looked the goods in the first set as he took it 6-4. But Davis rallied and his serve really was amped up as he fired down seven aces for the set to overpower Cobos who began to become more and more uncertain on his serve. His uncertainty became a real problem in the third and it handed Davis a match against Samuel Thorpe as he romped home to an impressive 4-6 6-2 6-3 win. It was not to be for 22-year old Spas Delev as his run ended at the hands of second seed Jiří Gross of the Czech Republic. The 32-year old veteran never really came out of first gear as he coasted past the CWLander in straight sets 6-4 6-4. Gross will face Fin Matti Räihä in his final match to try and earn a spot in the Open main draw.

Seeds Out: 10-Sam Cunningham (NZL); 17-Diego Rodriquez (ARG); 23-Andy Russell (GBR); 29-Ilja Nesterov (KAZ)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil programmed one based on FM for CW XI. I'm fairly sure he wouldn't mind it being used for this purpose.

Looks like I have a decent chance of making it through thanks to Rob's efforts against Lebègue. Will be tough beating Rob though, I don't think the Ecuadorian will do much.
Is it online anywhere or should I ask Pickup/Liam?

HeathDavisSpeed

And Thorpe of the USA defeated the seeded Andy Russell to leave a (supposedly) easier qualification final for the Heathster.

Seemingly doing everything the hard way at the moment though. It may well come back to bite me.

Johnners

*sigh*, disappointing to be out so early.

Good to get my first Pro win on the board though (y)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Australian Open Qualifiers (Finals) - Jan 19- Feb 1 Season I

Australian Open
Qualifiers (Finals) - Melbourne

Top Half
Section One
Section Two
Section Three
Section Four
Bottom Half
Section Five
Section Six
Section Seven
Section Eight

In a sensational day of tennis of the isle of CWLand, five of their six remaining players were able to qualify for the main draw of the Australian Open on the back of impressive qualifying final performances. But the only man not qualify was perhaps the most disappointing as Caresh Mahboob, who had not lost a set and also had defeated the top seed, bowed out in a meek performance against 25th seed Aldo Marín. Gone was the flair and excitement which characterised his victory over top seed Mikel Fosdike - in its place came hesitancy and indecision as the Paraguayan romped home in the first set 6-1. It was a better performance from Singh in the second, but he dropped service in disappointing fashion in the sixth game to be on his way short of a place in the Open.

Meanwhile, Jefferson Drake completely a successful qualifying period which saw him defeat tenth seed Sam Cunningham as he overcame Pablo Scalforo in three sets. Drake looked the most settled player in the first set and made Scalforo pay for some error-ridden tennis, before Scalforo fought back in the second set to clinch it 7-6 in a tiebreaker. In a very even decider, it was Drake who broke midway into the set and held on to scrape a 6-3 6(4)-7 7-5 win. Mat Mitchell's final seemed somewhat less difficult as the unseeded CWLander booked his spot in the Open with a 7-6(2) 6-4 win. Mitchell took points off his French opponent Christopher Durand on timely occasions and sealed a spot in the first Grand Slam event.

Both the qualifiers from section 7 were CWLanders as Sven Oxenstierna and Roy Daniels impressed en route to a spot in the Australian Open draw. "The Ox" came back from dropping the first set to Paul Arroyo of Ecuador (who had defeated Rob Bowenburg earlier), to storm home to a 1-6 6-3 7-5 win. The first set was a real blip on the radar for Oxenstierna as he looked in woeful touch, but he regained his range to show the form that saw him defeat 29th seed Ilya Nesterov in the match before to seal a fantastic win. Yet to drop a set in the tournament, Roy Daniels faced a much more imposing task in his final against twelfth seeded Georgian Gocha Berianidze. "Rock" continued his great touch by claiming the first set 6-3, but became somewhat overconfident and branched out into more ambitious shots. The move backfired as he was thrashed in the second set, but the steady CWLand regained his usual style to hold his nerve in the decider and advance with a 6-3 2-6 6-3 win.

The final CWLander through to the Open was Heath Davis who crushed American Samuel Thorpe in under an hour. Davis, who has been tested in two three-set thrillers so far, found his tennis much easier going as he earned a well-deserved passage into the Australian Open. Thorpe was little match for the big serving Kiwi-born player, capitulating in straight sets as Davis thundered down 14 aces in just seven service games to complete a 6-2 6-0 annihilation of the seppo.

Qualfiers: 25-Aldo Marín (PAR); Jason Bradley (USA); 12-Dimitris Chasiotis (GRE); 27-Lee Inmin (KOR); 3-Ninteh Doh (JPN); Henry Charles (ENG); Jefferson Drake (CWL); 5-Bertran Renard (FRA); 8-Dênis Rodrigues (BRA); WC-Thomas Cartwright (AUS); Mat Mitchell (CWL); Hayden Onwye (MAR); Sven Oxenstierna (CWL); Roy Daniels (CWL); Heath Davis (CWL); 2-Jiří Gross (CZE).
Wildcards: Harry Thompson (AUS); Davis Allani (AUS); Jeremy Natale (AUS); Russell Bosnar (AUS); Robert Franklin (AUS); Jake McDonald (AUS); Matthew Tobin (AUS); Steve Cole (AUS).

And cheers Mørk, that's awesome.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Woo-hoo! Too good for the qualification final! It'd been a hard route there, but the Heath-roller keeps on goin'!

Good to see plenty of CWLand action making its way to the main draw. Roy Daniels looks to be one to keep the eyes on - a good win over a seed in a pressure-cooker final.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Exciting line-up revealed as AO draw announced

The Season I Australian Open draw ceremony has taken place at Melbourne Park, with the 128-player men’s draw now finalised for the start of play on Monday. The men’s draw is evenly spread, with both halves containing a number of big names and title contenders.

Top Half
Section One
Section Two
Section Three
Section Four

In the top half, world No.1 Jason Hall, and top ten players Patrick Pascaul, Danijel Micic, Rasmus Olesen and Zhijun Sun are the top ranked men and players to beat. Hall and Micic are scheduled to meet in the semifinals to set up a possible final with world No.2 Rick Henson. Others who loom in the top half of the draw as worries are Carlo Amato, Davis Kennedy and Maarten Berg who are all seeded and remain dangers to the top seeded players.

The world number one faces qualifier Dênis Rodrigues in his first round clash, and the first seeded player he can meet is 25th seed Juan Moreno of Argentina in the third round. If third seed Micic gets past Hugh James of the US in his first match, he will face one of the Australian wildcards in his second round contest.

Bottom Half
Section Five
Section Six
Section Seven
Section Eight

On the other side of the draw, No.2 seed Rick Henson remains the player to beat despite being handed a tough draw through to the quarterfinals. Henson faces world No.88 Oliver Thursfield in his first round clash and a scheduled meeting with 16th seed Denis Orlov in the fourth round. Other top ten players in the bottom half of the draw are Radek Špidla, Daniel Pãez Blanco, Radivoj Daneu and Zoltan Varga. If all goes well for the Varga family, a fourth round clash looms between Hungarian brothers Zoltan and János. For that to take place, János Varga will have to overcome ninth seed Daneu in the third round.

Local favourite David Champion faces a difficult first round prospect in the form of Jefferson Quezada of Chile. The world No.80 Quezada may trouble the twentieth seed, but it only gets worse from there as wonderkid Darcy Cowan from the USA is the barrier between Champion and Blanco in the fourth round.

In terms of the new nation of CWLand, their five qualifiers will unsurprisingly face difficult encounters in the first Grand Slam of the Open Era. In the top half of the draw, Jefferson Drake faces the talented 30th seed Morgan Carter in his first round match - a win would see him face either Valter Cordiero or Felipe Menon. In the bottom half, 40-year old Vladimir Gryzlov poses a difficult task for CWLander Roy Daniels in the first round - the winner facing either Champion or Quezada. The talented Sven Oxenstierna should, however, advance on recent form as he faces Australian Toby Brookes.

The other two CWLanders appear in section eight and both face unseeded players first up. Heath Davis will face Ukraine's Viktor Vuriak, whilst Mat Mitchell has been drawn against Latvia's Ivars Emsis. The two seem unlikely to meet as for Mitchell to make it to the fourth round, he would have to produce a massive upset against No.2 seed Rick Henson.

Last edited: