• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Good matches to show on CWLand Sports tomorrow. Davis vs Read followed by Daniels vs Špidla.

Shame about Bowenburg, got a rotten draw and couldn't stay the distance.

Oh, and Boros is in two places of the draw. I'm guessing Benaglio should have had the bye there.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good matches to show on CWLand Sports tomorrow. Davis vs Read followed by Daniels vs Špidla.
Indeed. I'm hoping that Davis vs. Read gets transferred to centre court, to be honest. Daniels taking on Spidla will be a great game as well. Rooting for Daniels, obviously.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (2R) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

Sony Ericsson Open
2nd Round - Miami

Top Half
Bottom Half
Seeds

Despite the hype within CWLand circles, the second round clash between Heath Davis and Brett Read proved to be a fizzer as the 26th seed was blown off the court by the in form Davis. Ever since his victory in the Davis Cup tie against Belarus, Davis has been in sparkling touch and remains one of the enigmas in the Miami Masters main draw. In just over ninety minutes, Davis had banged down fourteen aces against the hapless Read to complete a 6-3 6-4 victory. But Davis will need all his form and then some to advance to a prospective fourth round clash with Almen Benaglio - looming next is fourth seed Rick Henson of the USA. In section 7, seventh seed Sven Oxenstierna overcame a tough opening set to run away with a straight sets win over Argentina's Paolo Mandonna. With the first set tied at 5-5, Oxenstierna won the next eight games on the trot to decimate the Argentine who lost complete confidence in his ability - The Ox advancing 7-5 6-0. The ever consistent Oxenstierna now faces his first test against German 27th seed Becker Haas.

Elsewhere, fifteenth seed Jefferson Drake managed to put recent bad form behind him with a comprehensive victory over Macedonia' Branko Arsov. The Delray Beach champion has looked out of sorts in recent times, but was switched on from the word go in his first match in Miami - wiping the court with his 23-year old opponent. Drake fell at Indian Wells to eventual finalist Almen Benaglio, and will face a tough task in his third round clash against American seventeenth seed Morgan Carter. Drake could face countryman Jamee Hancianu in the fourth round, but Hancianu will have to show the same form he did in beating Néstor Moreno if he's to get past third number three Radivoj Daneu. The 31st seed looked to capitalise on the good form cultivated at Indian Wells, and the Ecuadorian 22-year old struggled to impose himself on the match as an impressive Hancianu advanced 6-2 6-1.

Meanwhile, both remaining CWLand unseeded players following the first round met their end in second round action. Jojo Mustard put up a valient display against China's Li Wang, but ultimately fell short of the twentieth seed. Li advanced 7-6(2) 3-6 6-4. Roy Daniels failed to replicate his upset of Zhijun Sun against Radek Špidla, as the Czech second seed eased through to a third round clash with Zoltan Varga 6-2 6-2.

Seeds Out: 14-Tiago Matias (POR); 19-Danijel Micic (SRB); 22-Henry Charles (GBR); 23-Dwayne Murdoch (USA); 24-Carlo Amato (ITA); 26-Brett Read (CWL).

Tipping Davis to upstage Henson.

HeathDavisSpeed

Good game against Read. Obviously couldn't overcome my power, despite his attempts to distract me with photographs of Aaron Heal in compromising positions.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not looking likely to get some rest. Haas is pretty poor (*prepares from incoming nukes from Canberra*) and Champion chokes with regularity.

Špidla in the quarter looks tough though.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (3R) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

Sony Ericsson Open
3rd Round - Miami

Top Half
Bottom Half
Seeds

World number seven Sven Oxenstierna has backed up his big words with a straight sets win over Becker Haas in the third round of the Sony Ericsson Open. After labelling the German "pretty poor", The Ox was taken aback by the fiery start made by the 27th seed. But after going 3-0 down in the first set, Oxenstierna composed himself and soon saw the set proceed on service after breaking the German in the fifth game. With the first set sent to a tiebreaker, Oxenstierna's calmness under pressure prevailed and he went ahead one set to love. But Haas wasn't about to go away as he and Oxenstierna traded breaks of service to open the deciding set. But The Ox again showed why Miami could be his tournament as he against stayed cool in a tough situation to record a straight sets win 7-6(3) 7-5. He now faces ninth seeded Australian David Champion - a man he said "chokes with regularity".

But the biggest upset of the day came from rampaging CWLander Heath Davis who emerged victorious against world number four Rick Henson. The American dominated the opening set against a nervy Davis, but the big serving powerhouse found the form that has seen him produce some impressive results as of late as he worked the fourth seed over to take the second set 6-4. An early break in the third was crucial to Davis' success, and he got it in the third game as he edged ahead 3-1. The difference was all Davis needed to pull off a sensational 3-6 6-4 6-4 upset to set up a fourth round clash with Indian Wells finalist Almen Benaglio.

Jefferson Drake and Jamee Hancianu needed victories to set up an all-CWLand fourth round clash, but neither could pull off their part of the bargain as they both fell in three set tussles. Drake took the first set against American Morgan Carter, but struggled to maintain the pressure on the 17th seed and ultimately crashed out 3-6 6-3 6-4. Hancianu had a much tougher assignment as world number three and Indian Wells champ Radivoj Daneu loomed large. Whilst Hancianu managed to take the second set off the in form Indian Wells champion, Daneu proved just too strong as he set up a fourth round contest with Carter following a 6-2 5-7 6-2 win.

Seeds Out: 4-Rick Henson (USA); 8-Rasmus Olesen (NOR); 10-Daniel Páez Blanco (ESP); 15-Jefferson Drake (CWL); 18-József Boros (HUN); 20-Li Wang (CHN); 21-Wayne Boyd (USA); 25-Zoltan Varga (HUN); 27-Becker Haas (GER); 29-Jason Bradley (USA); 30-Maarten Berg (NED); 31-Jamee Hancianu (CWL).

HeathDavisSpeed

That's a spicy meatball! Could be my biggest victory so far? My next round opponent is in good form, but the Head to Head shows 0 - 0 in our meetings thus far, so the game's there for the taking!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (4R) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

****ing Swiss. :(

Sony Ericsson Open
4th Round - Miami

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals
Seeds

The dream run of CWLand's Heath Davis came to an end in the fourth round of the Miami Masters as hotshot 13th seed Almen Benaglio proved too good for the nervy Davis. In a straight sets victory, Benaglio had Davis covered as the big-serving enigma struggled to capture the form that saw him upset Rick Henson in the third round. Whilst Davis managed to recover from an early break in the first, he double faulted twice in a row late in the set to hand a lead to Benaglio on a silver platter. The 23-year old then grew from strength to strength as he set up a quarterfinals clash with Darcy Cowan - sealing a 7-5 6-3 victory.

Meanwhile, Sven Oxenstierna's dreams of a maiden tournament win have stayed alive after a dominant win over Australian David Champion. The Ox has talked up his chances this tournament, and continues to show he isn't all talk as he ran through the lacklustre Australian. The ninth seeded Australian capitulated in just eighty-four minutes as The Ox set up a dream quarterfinal clash with Radek Špidla 6-3 6-2.

Seeds Out: 9-David Champion (AUS); 11-Miroslav Brdar (CRO); 12-Illya Altman (UKR); 16-Juan Moreno (ARG); 17-Morgan Carter (USA); 32-Dmitry Orlov (BUL).

Genov hopes to replicate Benaglio magic

29-year old Bulgarian Ivan Genov hopes to follow in the footsteps of Almen Benaglio to seal a spot late in a Masters tournament as an unseeded player. The world number 47 produced the upset of the round to eliminate 32nd seed Dmitry Orlov to advance to the final eight. Genov, whose scalps include Emelio, Charles and Blanco, claimed his third seed of the tournament - this time in a fantastic straight sets display 6-2 6-4. He'll have his work cut out if he want to emulate the 23-year Swiss gun; his opponent Radivoj Daneu is seeded three and knocked out seventeenth seed Morgan Carter of the USA 6-4 7-6(5).

Špidla fires opening salvo

Fresh off a tough fourth round win over fifteenth seed Juan Moreno, world number two Radek Špidla has started the mind games ahead of his Miami Masters quarterfinal against CWLand's Sven Oxenstierna. In a post-match press conference, Špidla was asked about the trash talking Oxenstierna has dished out to his opponents so far. "Obviously it's working for him, but I find some of them pretty funny," Špidla said. "Like when he said [David] Champion was a choker, that’s funny because Oxenstierna loses every quarter and semi he plays". Špidla brushed off comments that he might be tired heading into the all-important clash; saying his two three-set slogs have only made him stronger. "At times I've been struggling late in tournaments because I don't get enough court time," he said. "With the bye in the first round, it's good to play as long as possible so I think I have that advantage".

HeathDavisSpeed

Piss poor, Davis. Cornholio Benaglio needs TP for his bunghole, apparently.

Disappointed to let my legion of fan down.