• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb ODI Rankings

Bazza

International 12th Man
Deja moo said:
Come on mate, its not just an opinion, is it? Can you really say that England at 2 and Pakistan below India in the table is more accurate than the current ICC table ? If this is how the system works, its obviously flawed and needs to be improved.
It is an opinion - these rankings use facts to try and show the relative strength of each one day international playing country, considering factors such as the relative strength of each team results are achieved against, with separate home and away considerations. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I think they are better than any other system I have seen.

As Marc says, most teams in the middle are pretty close and in this system, although England are at number 2, they could easily drop a few places depending on the outcome of one or two series. New Zealand are at 4 but climbing. India are above Pakistan mostly because the only teams Pakistan have beaten away from home are India, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Bangladesh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bazza said:
No, that series from 1998/1999 was not included in the system. That is one reason for counting even a one off match as a series - teams don't always play full series often enough to keep it current, which judging by several comments here over the last couple of days, people consider important.
Okay so the one off match in Kolkata had Pakistan beat India 1-0. So remain even they had to beat India 6-0 in the series which was just over. Dont you think thats a bit unrealistic mate.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Okay so the one off match in Kolkata had Pakistan beat India 1-0. So remain even they had to beat India 6-0 in the series which was just over. Dont you think thats a bit unrealistic mate.
Okay we seem to be going round in circles a little bit here, so let me just point out a few things then maybe we should move on. Firstly I accept what happened here was a bit weird, but it happened for a reason which I have explained. It's not often that teams will play a one off match as a series so this shouldn't be a very frequent occurence.

Secondly, we have decided to include each teams results against all others both home and away as we feel it is important to assess a teams performances against all opposition in all conditions in order to judge who is the best. Compare this with the ICC who feel it is most important to consider a year or so of results, even though many teams won't meet each other in this period. This does mean due to the scheduling there will be occasions when a series from more than 3 years ago might be included for a short period, but as I say I don't make the fixtures and I don't really see what can be done about that.

By the way did I mention that this series will only count for 4% of each teams rating, which is not that much. At the end of the day a team who consistently performs well against most teams both home and away will be rewarded under this system, but at the moment only Australia are doing this. New Zealand look to be on the way and that is why they are climbing the rankings.

If you are unhappy with one teams position either in the table or in relation to another team feel free to bring that up and I will justify it for you, but please stop criticising one point when I have explained why this happened. I have a feeling if I released these ratings today nobody would have a problem with them, it's just because India moved above Pakistan having lost to them, but as I have explained this is because India improved on their previous performance and Pakistan did worse.

Bazza

International 12th Man
So South Africa whitewashed West Indies 5-0, lets see what that has done to the rankings:

Home
Australia 1369 (+7)
South Africa 1124
Sri Lanka 1128 (+10)
England 1078 (+6)
New Zealand 947 (+6)
Pakistan 907 (+3)
India 896 (+5)
West Indies 746 (-54)
Zimbabwe 248
Kenya 176
Bangladesh 114

Away
Australia 1605 (-6)
New Zealand 1072 (-5)
India 975 (-6)
England 970 (-7)
South Africa 968 (+47)
Pakistan 843 (-4)
Sri Lanka 830 (-7)
West Indies 688
Kenya 374
Zimbabwe 340 (-2)
Bangladesh 27

Total
Australia 1487 (+1)
South Africa 1046 (+23)
England 1024
New Zealand 1010 (+1)
Sri Lanka 979 (+2)
India 936
Pakistan 875 (-1)
West Indies 717 (-27)
Zimbabwe 294 (-1)
Kenya 275
Bangladesh 71

So South Africa climb above England into second place, and West Indies lose more ground on the rest. They can make some of that ground back in the current series with Pakistan, but will have to improve on their performance in the first game in order to do so.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well beating West Indies 3-0 will help them climb! :)

Home
Australia 1380 (+11)
Sri Lanka 1136 (+8)
South Africa 1135 (+11)
England 1087 (+9)
New Zealand 958 (+11)
Pakistan 907
India 900 (+4)
West Indies 681 (-65)
Zimbabwe 248
Kenya 176
Bangladesh 114

Away
Australia 1597 (-8)
New Zealand 1067 (-5)
India 966 (-9)
England 962 (-8)
South Africa 956 (-12)
Pakistan 902 (+59)
Sri Lanka 821 (-9)
West Indies 688
Kenya 374
Zimbabwe 338 (-2)
Bangladesh 27

Total
Australia 1488 (+1)
South Africa 1046
England 1025 (+1)
New Zealand 1012 (+2)
Sri Lanka 978 (-1)
India 933 (-3)
Pakistan 905 (+30)
West Indies 684 (-33)
Zimbabwe 293 (-1)
Kenya 275
Bangladesh 71

Well no position changes this time but West Indies continue to plummet away from the top 7 and certainly don't look like a side who won the Champions Trophy barely 6 months ago!

Four weeks now to the next ODIs - England, Australia and Bangladesh play each other three times in the triangular Natwest Series. England then play 3 more ODIs against Australia straight afterwards in the Natwest Challenge thanks to some rather puzzling scheduling!

Sylvester

State Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Having England ahead of New Zealand and Sri Lanka is just laughable.
Hard call to make as neither of the sides have faced Pietersen. They are quite evenly matched. NZ and England probably higher than SL as SL away from home arent as good. NZ and England have quite similar lineups. Both have 2 big hitters, NZ probably more all rounders, bowling even batting would be to england. Would be good seeing a tri series with these 3 sides maybe add in SA to decide the offical no 2

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sylvester said:
Hard call to make as neither of the sides have faced Pietersen. They are quite evenly matched. NZ and England probably higher than SL as SL away from home arent as good. NZ and England have quite similar lineups. Both have 2 big hitters, NZ probably more all rounders, bowling even batting would be to england. Would be good seeing a tri series with these 3 sides maybe add in SA to decide the offical no 2
Not talking about their abilities as such, just results wise. England lost 5-1 to South Africa, who are far from a great ODI side.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Sylvester said:
If you look at the England one-day's record compared to New Zealand in the last 18 months, the statistics reflect New Zealand's rightfully higher one-day placing. If we sent the recently named team ( to tour Zimbabwe) to take on England in a months time (i.e. with Bond and Oram), a majority of punters would arguably tip New Zealand. Why? Without these two key players, we still managed to go unbeaten in the Natwest Series last year, while England had Harmison and the rest of the current squad (excluding Pieterson). England are yet to face Bond, New Zealand's equivilant of Harmison or Lee. That added firepower would really test the mettle of the English.

Pieterson is still very inexperienced to make a big call on him (he played less than 20 one-day games).

Last edited:

Bazza

International 12th Man
So an enthralling tie between England and Australia saw them split the Natwest Series. Lets see how that affects the rankings.

Home
Australia 1382 (+2)
Sri Lanka 1140 (+4)
South Africa 1139 (+4)
England 1003 (-84)
New Zealand 963 (+5)
Pakistan 912 (+5)
India 904 (+4)
West Indies 684 (+3)
Zimbabwe 251 (+3)
Bangladesh 223 (+109)
Kenya 181 (+5)

Away
Australia 1664 (+67)
New Zealand 1068 (+1)
England 977 (+15)
India 971 (-5)
South Africa 965 (+9)
Pakistan 912 (+10)
Sri Lanka 831 (+10)
West Indies 696 (+8)
Kenya 389 (+15)
Zimbabwe 345 (+7)
Bangladesh 66 (+39)

Total
Australia 1523 (+35)
South Africa 1052 (+6)
New Zealand 1015 (+3)
England 990 (-35)
Sri Lanka 985 (+7)
India 937 (-4)
Pakistan 912 (+7)
West Indies 690 (+6)
Zimbabwe 298 (+5)
Kenya 285 (+10)
Bangladesh 145 (+74)

So a pretty good tournament for Bangladesh thanks to shock win over Australia, but they still sit 11th and last in the standings. Elsewhere England drop below New Zealand into 4th after failing to defend a series win against Australia, who strengthen their position at the top.

Overall it's still very tight between 2nd and 7th. Up next England and Australia tussle in three more matches in the Natwest Challenge, then at the end of the month Zimbabwe play 3 ODIs against South Africa and Sri Lanka host a triangular tournament involving West Indies and India.