• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best fielder ever

cnerd123

likes this
Harper being robbed here.

Harper, Solkar and Constantine are amongst the very few cricketers who were still be picked in the XI even if lacking form with bat or ball purely based on the strength of their fielding. Not saying that makes the the best, but surely they should have made it to the final stages.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Harper, Solkar and Constantine are amongst the very few cricketers who were still be picked in the XI even if lacking form with bat or ball purely based on the strength of their fielding. Not saying that makes the the best, but surely they should have made it to the final stages.
Harper has made it to the final stages, *****. Just not the final :) Having said that, its difficult to pick the better fielder once the stages progress. Very close between them.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's not Ponting 's fault he's also a great batsman though.

Harper was amazing too and there's barely anything to separate them. One aspect where I think Ponting was the best ever by far, though, was hitting the stumps. He is the very definition of dead-eye. There has never been anyone better.

Slifer

International Captain
No. You've not seen anyone better, but there were playerz, from the past just as adept at stump hitting. I can let it slide Ricky beating out sir Viv but Ponting is not a better fielder than Roger Harper.

Gob

International Coach
No. You've not seen anyone better, but there were playerz, from the past just as adept at stump hitting. I can let it slide Ricky beating out sir Viv but Ponting is not a better fielder than Roger Harper.
I always felt Ponting was the best ever but now i changed my mind. Very convincing

TNT

Banned
Having watched both Harper and Ponting I found Ponting to be the better fielder, not by much but he was better.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I need some clarity on Rhodes seeing as everyone is picking him in a whitewash. Why was he so good? He only seemed to field in one position. Symonds fielded everywhere. Symonds had a better arm, was more athletic, was able to catch balls higher in the air (he was taller). I watched Rhodes only a few times and it seemed to me he was something like Ponting. From my viewing, Symonds was better than Ponting. He just made fielding look so effortless.

cnerd123

likes this
Rhodes may have fielded mainy in one position, but he had it all. Good hands, good arm, speed across the ground, great anticipation. Probably shouldnt be winnig by a whitewash though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I need some clarity on Rhodes seeing as everyone is picking him in a whitewash. Why was he so good? He only seemed to field in one position. Symonds fielded everywhere. Symonds had a better arm, was more athletic, was able to catch balls higher in the air (he was taller). I watched Rhodes only a few times and it seemed to me he was something like Ponting. From my viewing, Symonds was better than Ponting. He just made fielding look so effortless.

Have you watched Jonty? Just in ODIs alone I have seen Jonty man midwicket, square leg, long on, long off, deep midwicket and deep cover apart from cover point.

Gob

International Coach
Neither Symonds or Rhodes were that good slippers and that's what makes Ponting the best. Rhodes was better at extra cover, Mark Taylor was better at slips,Symonds had a stronger arm and was quicker across the turf but the difference between them and Punter in each of these aspects are negligible.

On the other hand Rhodes was not a great slipper as was Symonds and Tubby cant do what Punter did in the close range so you get the point. No clue about Harper though

Victor Ian

International Coach
No. I have hardly seen Jonty play. Not enough to form a fair opinion. When I did watch he was a great fielder, but I didn't get to see how good he was. Everyone rates him, hence I thought I get some opinions. Symonds is my pet, but I am not immune to accepting someone else is better.

I was likewise surprised by Harper's dominance over Mark Waugh. I would only have seen a couple of games in which he played and that would have been a loooong time ago. I admit my choices aren't very fair as I can not judge how good players I never saw were.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neither Symonds or Rhodes were that good slippers and that's what makes Ponting the best. Rhodes was better at extra cover, Mark Taylor was better at slips,Symonds had a stronger arm and was quicker across the turf but the difference between them and Punter in each of these aspects are negligible.

On the other hand Rhodes was not a great slipper as was Symonds and Tubby cant do what Punter did in the close range so you get the point. No clue about Harper though
Harper was awesome in the slips too from what I remember

cnerd123

likes this
Roger Harper was such a good fielder we overlook he took 46 wickets in Tests at an average of 28 and scored three fifties too.

Also racked up 105 ODIs for 100 wickets and an economy of 3.97, plus a batting average of 16.

Useful cricketer TSTL.