• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Cycling Team

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
January

Plan: To have Aussie riders do as much as possible. Win Tour Down Under, win as many criterium races in Bay Cycling Classic as possible, win two national championship titles, and do well in the Down Under Classic. After that, Davis will begin his season with the Tour of Wellington, probably accompanied by one other CWLander (volunteers welcome.)

Keen observers will have noted we have nine Aussies - only eight of them can really race at any time. Thus, Nathan Hoy and Kingsley Clapham will skip most of the domestic races, though they may turn out for the national championships if their form + skills is judged good enough by our sports director.

First race:

Williamstown Port Bay Criterium, 36 km - 1st stage of 5 in Jayco Bay Cycling Classic.

Team - will race all next five stages:

Four Webheads caught on film waiting to strike.

After an early breakaway with Reddlapalli was caught, it was time for a new attempt with 12 km to go. Robert Gesink took off, and was chased by three adventurers, including Gustov and Guerini.

The three chasers had no chance, but Gesink had a huge lead, and despite the frantic work of the Casson Dairy team he held on to take the first stage of the Jayco Bay Cycling Classic.

Comment from sports director: we shouldn't have tried to take advantage of the first break; it was doomed and we suddenly didn't have any men up front to chase a strong Gesink, since we didn't want to chase Manju down. All credit to Rabobank for a tactical race. Our leadout worked very well with the two best sprinters in the main bunch, well done.

Final result
1 Robert Gesink RABOBANK 44'09
2 Ryan Dunn TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.
3 David Kearsley TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.

4 Kirk O'Bee HEALTH NET PRESENTED BY MAXXIS s.t.
5 Henk Vogels TOYOTA UNITED PRO CYCLING TEAM s.t.
6 Josh Smith SAVINGS & LOANS CYCLING TEAM s.t.
7 Eric Baumann T-MOBILE TEAM s.t.
8 Robert McLachlan DRAPAC PORSCHE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM s.t.
9 Matthew Hayman RABOBANK s.t.
10 Mark Jamieson SOUTHAUSTRALIA.COM - AIS s.t.
26 Bugs Malone TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.
30 Josh Forner TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.
34 Manjunath Reddlapalli TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.
46 Chris Dwyer TEAM CASSON DAIRY s.t.

57 riders in same time. Bileka (+1.43), N Sørensen (+2.23), Van Huffel (+2.23) among big shots who lost time.

GC:
1 Robert Gesink RABOBANK 43'49
2 Ryan Dunn TEAM CASSON DAIRY + 8
3 David Kearsley TEAM CASSON DAIRY + 12

all others (Malone, Forner, Reddlapalli, Dwyer) +20

1 Robert Gesink RABOBANK 25
2 Ryan Dunn TEAM CASSON DAIRY 20
3 David Kearsley TEAM CASSON DAIRY 16

Btw, won't be this detailed for all races. Probably the grand tours will have this much detail, the rest will just post results and a short race wrap-up.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This looks excellent. I didn't realise there was a 'cycling management' game around.

Loving your work, Vimes.

Very hilly work around Wellington for that race. I'll be putting a few extra miles in the run up to the compo. Looking to do well in my home city - I should know the conditions well. When that Southerly comes blowing in, only Heath will be up to the challenge! :thumbup:

Matteh

Wahey, that jersey actually works. Good work by the sprinters there.

If the Tour of Wellington has a TT, i'll volunteer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wouldn't mind to have a few races. Probably should've signed up as a GC in retrospect...

HeathDavisSpeed

Please remember this little tune about Wellington before you agree to race here:

I wish I was in Wellington, the weather's not so good
The wind it cuts right through you, and it rains more than it should
But I'd be there tomorrow, if I only could
Oh I wish I was in Wellington

The race'll be wet, it'll be windy and it'll be 'orrible. Even in January. ;)

HeathDavisSpeed

That's the spirit roseboy. We'll warm you up afterwards in front of the fire with a warming drink of your choice!

Johnners

Great start to the season, shame we couldn't grab the win, but well done to McPinch and Kears for claiming the final 2 podium spots.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wahey, that jersey actually works. Good work by the sprinters there.

If the Tour of Wellington has a TT, i'll volunteer.
Edit: 1 ITT prologue in Lower Hutt, 1 ITT in Wellington City. Not much in the way of climbs, but a couple late on in the fifth stage.

Thus, probably more suited to Matteh. Not a good idea for Rose to ride it because it'll waste the form for the grand tours (the game works such that if you race more than 40 days your form can't peak any more. Thus, for the GC riders the race days need to be close to the 20-day grand tours.)

Bobisback said:
Awesome. Will this be going one stage a day?
Probably a bit quicker through January at least. Then we'll see.

Last edited: