• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Tom Flint

International Regular
This is a cricket forum and currently there are 3 players one of whom is probably a top 5 atg with multiple world cups between them having a blazing row.
Surely a cricket forum is the place to come to talk about it. It's not the rest of our fault one person is encouraging racism and ***ism

aussie tragic

International Captain
This is a cricket forum and currently there are 3 players one of whom is probably a top 5 atg with multiple world cups between them having a blazing row.
Surely a cricket forum is the place to come to talk about it. It's not the rest of our fault one person is encouraging racism and ***ism
If it's so critical to discuss, it probably deserves a thread somewhere, so please don't bring it to this one which is for posts that don't deserve to take over the thread like the last 5 pages.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
They have a Facebook page that hasn't been regularly updated: https://www.facebook.com/ZambiaCricketUnion

I am curious why Zambia didn't end up at the same level of cricket as Zimbabwe or Namibia. It can't just be because of population size or historic size of the white community because Namibia was and is just as small. If anything it's smaller. And a lot of Zimbos have moved to Zambia since the troubles began. Ties to South Africa not as strong?

Interesting fact I expect SeamUp knows but others may not, Zambia is the only country in Africa to have a white president since the end of apartheid.
It's a very good question Chubb. Considering Namibia was a German colony too. Zambia would have had some decent schools set up by the British (maybe not the level of Southern Rhodesia but still).

Considering MCC played there in 1930 that is a long time ago. Not sure on the numbers but going by better Rhodesian cricketers not many did come from the North so I guess popularity was the issue.

From my school days there were always Namibians, Botswanans and Zimbabweans in the boarding houses. That all seemed to carry on.

I didn't know that re :Zambia. If you pushed me I probably would have said Botswana.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mr mister reminding me of a mates ex here, who claimed black people can be discriminatory towards white people but not racist. regardless of whether she was right or not, the point she missed was people outside online echo chambers use those words interchangeably and effective communication trumps factual communication.

i.e. mr mister "black people can't be racist to white people" is terrible communication that does nothing to further the general 'don't be racist' cause even if you're right (you're not) and reeks of an attempt to seize the intellectual high ground when everyone here knows perfectly well what people mean when they say samuels was being racist.
Eh. If it was an attempt to seize the intellectual high ground its coz i was quite agitated by that stage due to some of jedis comments about my stance being sickening and really weird re Warne. Happy to admit i snapped

I don't know what you're trying to achieve with your post argument wrap up. I was in a state

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Warne only won 1.

Might be multiple in 2023 when Stokes has a chance to do one better than last year's draw

aussie tragic

International Captain
Here's a what if question.

What if David Hookes never joined WSC?

He was a year younger than Kim Hughes but senior to him having played 6 Tests with 356 runs @ 32.36 while Hughes had 1 Test where he only scored 1.

I think Hookes would have been a superstar in the WSC decimated Aussie team and with his leadership skills would have become captain of Australia over Hughes...if only

Edit: and he wouldn't have had his jaw broken by a vicious Andy Roberts delivery during WSC, whereby people said he never batted the same after (remember no helmets)

Any other what if?

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
'Who knows?' is my first reaction, but that's just a reflex. It would have probably made him more secure in the side and he definitely would have been a 'superstar' compared to, say, Phil Ogilvie. However, after a brief Wikiland and cricinfo look, apparently his struggles really came after the end of WSC. I did not know or suspect this, but apparently Hookes was vulnerable to spin which he would have faced first up against India (and again in 1979-80), so he might have failed, or he might have improved against spin; again, who can tell? Given the state of the Australian team in that period, I also wonder how well he would have got along personally with the others given the tensions in the side then.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Wasn't he hopeless against spin or something?
I didn't know this so looked him up on wilkipedia and found something better :)

"Angered by Victorian captain Graham Yallop's late declaration in a Sheffield Shield match at the Adelaide Oval in October 1982, Hookes, who normally batted at number 3 or 4, promoted himself to opening batsman and proceeded to score a century from 34 balls in just 43 minutes (including 18 fours and two sixes), at the time the fastest century scored in first-class cricket."

aussie tragic

International Captain
As it is, Hughes ended up with the higher test average
But that's the point, what if Hookes didn't waste 2 years in WSC?

Btw, I'm a huge fan of Kim Hughes as the 'superstar' batsman of 1978/79 and beyond. Just wondering what could have been with Hookes captain. And Yallop, Hughes, Hookes, Border should have been able to then stop the 5-1 loss to England in 78/79

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Given the state of the Australian team in that period, I also wonder how well he would have got along personally with the others given the tensions in the side then.
I assume you mean the tensions between Lillee, Marsh and Hughes when he became captain when Chappell decided not to tour. I reckon Hookes would have nipped that in the bud quite quickly as he was a highly respected captain.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
But that's the point, what if Hookes didn't join WSC?
Perhaps he'd have performed poorly against India's spinners and been left out, and given his personality he might have cause more conflict either with other players or with the ACB.

Point is that beyond certain limits, all this becomes speculation where anything could happen.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I assume you mean the tensions between Lillee, Marsh and Hughes when he became captain when Chappell decided not to tour. I reckon Hookes would have nipped that in the bud quite quickly as he was a highly respected captain.
Nope. I'm talking about the WSC period. An outspoken, critical sort may have actually been harmful when pretty much everybody was fearful for their place in the side and conflict with the ACB would have been more dangerous.

Again, it is all speculation. It is certainly possible he would have done better than everybody else (ahem... Phil Carlson), but I doubt it would have saved the side. Graham Yallop averaged 30 as captain and 44 as not-captain, and he was a more experienced first-class player than Hookes. Perhaps captaincy at that point would have been detrimental to the younger Hookes.