• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not too dissimilar from some of the Friday games I've played, tho we'd be incredibly lucky to get to play on turf.
We played an intra-club eight a side tourney each year which was alcohol laden, and we played it rain, hail or shine. Bats would often go flying in the rain like that, but never saw one on target like that. Was like an Exocet missile ffs.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
In the Border - Gavaskar trophy 2001, Australia scored 34.160 runs per wicket, India 34.164 runs per wicket. The difference of 0.004 runs per wicket is the least between two teams in any test series of 3 or more matches in history. Such an incredibly close series statistically and also in the eyes of everyone who were privileged to watch this wonderful series.

sunilz

International Regular
In the Border - Gavaskar trophy 2001, Australia scored 34.160 runs per wicket, India 34.164 runs per wicket. The difference of 0.004 runs per wicket is the least between two teams in any test series of 3 or more matches in history. Such an incredibly close series statistically and also in the eyes of everyone who were privileged to watch this wonderful series.
India tour of Aus in 1977/78 was also a very highly competitive series. Aus were missing few key players but mathematically it was a very close series

sunilz

International Regular
Siri, what is understatement?
I knew someone would bring this ? But still that Aus side managed to win the series while full strength Aus side couldn't beat IND 3 years later in 80/81. ?

Anyways my point was that 77/78 was a very close series mathematically irrespective of the strength of side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One of the things that crapinfo actually did well. Once they changed it, it became a bit de-facto and MCC did not have many other options but to approve it now.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder how long it will take the term "Batters" to make its way into general use. Definitely not being used in Mens cricket commentary or discussion to any real degree yet.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Hopefully, the better 'batsman' will persist a while yet, particularly when dealing with past greats. And the usual disingenuousness appears.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I occasionally use "batters", particularly with my daughter playing at the moment. But most of the time it's still "batsmen" since "batters" reminds me too much of baseball.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is one of those changes for which I feel a real dissonance, because on the one hand I have always hated how the word "batters" sounds (ever since I was young I have associated it with baseball or what people who don't understand cricket call the people holding the bat), and yet at the same time I am fully supportive of the move. It's modern, inclusive and right.

I'm surprised by those saying that it hasn't been or won't be adopted though, because from my point of view it has already become the default for a lot of cricket writing and commentary. Cricinfo have already made the move, use of the term has been a CA (and I think ECB) directive for a while now, and certainly Sky Sports this summer seemed to have their commentators consistently saying batters rather than batsmen during the men's games. I think it has already become (or is well on its way to becoming) the norm - at least for the younger generation.

I reckon I'll still always say batsman though.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I'm surprised by those saying that it hasn't been or won't be adopted though, because from my point of view it has already become the default for a lot of cricket writing and commentary. Cricinfo have already made the move, use of the term has been a CA (and I think ECB) directive for a while now, and certainly Sky Sports this summer seemed to have their commentators consistently saying batters rather than batsmen during the men's games. I think it has already become (or is well on its way to becoming) the norm - at least for the younger generation.
Seems to me to be the affect of coach types at lower-levels from my experience. The sort of person who makes out they know more than what they actually do. In terms of commentary, were it 'natural' like the MCC claimed rather than instructed, then you'd here people using both, not exclusively one. If anything, the more corporate they got, the more likely they'd use 'batter.'

Last edited: