• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
I saw today that Joe Root has won the most tests as England captain, despite being in charge for only four years and the test team under his tenure being wildly inconsistent. My first thought was 'I bet that's because they never draw games any more', and that does seem to be there in the figures.

Relevant number crunches:

1630178747769.png

Cook's record suprises me in that it's worse than both Root's and by raw data, Hussain's as well. But then I thought Cook kinda had two teams, the one he inherited that was falling apart and then the one they rebuilt after 2014 which was actually quite good.

Atherton's record as captain there shows a couple of things, 1) we don't actually play that many more tests than we used to, since Athers also had 50-odd tests at the helm, and 2) Jesus **** we used to be rubbish, didn't we.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm surprised by the great consistency in captain's tenure. All around 50 games and 4-5 years. Root's run must be coming to an end soon.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw today that Joe Root has won the most tests as England captain, despite being in charge for only four years and the test team under his tenure being wildly inconsistent. My first thought was 'I bet that's because they never draw games any more', and that does seem to be there in the figures.

Relevant number crunches:

View attachment 29029

Cook's record suprises me in that it's worse than both Root's and by raw data, Hussain's as well. But then I thought Cook kinda had two teams, the one he inherited that was falling apart and then the one they rebuilt after 2014 which was actually quite good.

Atherton's record as captain there shows a couple of things, 1) we don't actually play that many more tests than we used to, since Athers also had 50-odd tests at the helm, and 2) Jesus **** we used to be rubbish, didn't we.
Crazy how much Test cricket England have played over the last 5 years. If anything they've played more during Covid

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's an interesting paragraph from Brearley's The Art of Captaincy:

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 6.22.01 AM.png

It seems that my idea of allowing each side to choose their own ball has actually happened at least one in a test match.