• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I was just curious as to what your favourite cricket books are.

I am currently in the process of reading Adam Gillchrist: Walking to Victory - a personal story of the Ashes and World Cup Campaigns in 2002 - 2003.

How many of you have read this? So far i think its a great book and tells some of the behnid the scenes stuff that went on, which the public wasnt to know about.

So whats your favourite cricket books?

Also whats your fedback on this book, if any of you have read it.

Thanks
Dave

Craig

World Traveller
Liked Sobers autobiography and so did Mike Atherton's.

Didnt really liked Shane Warne's auto and I do like some of Steve Waugh's tour diary's.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Liked Mark Waugh's bio alot , but thought Warne's was rubbish.

Liked Ricky Ponting's WC diary alot , but though McGrath's was a joke.

Craig

World Traveller
Never read any of Gilchrist's, Ponting's or McGrath's WC diaries. I would imagine they would be similar.

Lora

Cricket Spectator
Not Quite Cricket is good. An investigative piece into the bookmakers hold on the sport. Written at the time of the revelation of Cronje's involvement , including transcripts.

I like, Simon Hughes' work too - A Lot Of Hard Yakka and Yakking Around The World.

I'm looking at Rain Men: Madness Of Cricket.

Ashes Summer was interesting as a tour diary. Written by Nasser Hussain and Steve Waugh, it was interesting to get both points of view on the same events.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Linda said:
Yes, Pontings WC diary was very good. Even had a laugh:O :lol:
lol

ive read all 3. Pontings, Gilchrist and McGraths.

Pontings was excellent, extremely good.

Gilchrists i thought was fairly good.

McGraths can hardly be called 'a book.' It was TERRIBLE.

masterblaster

International Captain
Armadillo said:
Very modest of Tendulkar to name his Bio, Masterful.
Sachin Tendulkar did not write that book himself at all. An author by the name of Peter Murray wrote the book.

If Tendulkar wrote the book it would be an AUTObiography.

Tendulkar - Masterful is a Biography and is a good read as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone that thinks Sachin would name his own book "Masterful" isn't thinking straight.

I've got Masterful and it's a great read indeed. A great biography as masterblaster pointed out. I've also got Sourav's book but am yet to read it.

Last edited:

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anything by Fred Trueman is great, Ball of Fire the life story of Trueman is one of the best books that I have ever read.

Currently reading Mark Waugh's book.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald - White Lightning

Is my predictable favourite.. Not many cricketers can tell you how they spent time with an AK47 in their hand in a riot wondering if they were going to stop a bullet.. the great man tells it like it is...

On the to read list....

Simon Hugh's Hard Yakka

Rain Men

Tuffers's A to Z... (Halfway thru)