• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook in 10/11 vs Vaughan in 02/03

Which is better?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Which series was better?

Cook in 10/11: 766 runs at an average of 127.66 (7 innings)
Vaughan in 02/03: 633 runs at an average of 63.30(10 innings)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is easy, Cook.

Would be the best Ashes batting performance I’ve ever seen but pesky Smith happened in 19. But yeah as good as Vaughan was, Cook’s series was something else. At the end of the Adelaide Test there had only been about 2 hours play in the two games where he hadn’t been on the field. He just kept scoring runs.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
100% it's Cook......the best argument you could make for Vaughan is that it was against a much better bowling attack. But that doesn't come close to the sheer weight of runs, time at the crease and y'know.......the fact that Cooks efforts were in a winning cause.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
What about Cooks big series in Australia vs Cooks big series in India?
I'd be inclined to say that the India series was superior. India had a more dangerous set of bowlers for the conditions that they had, whereas Australia had a bunch of bowlers either hugely out of form, between injuries and some like Bollinger/Hilfenhaus who were just pretty hopeless before you even get on to the spin options that the Aussies selected for that series.

BazBall21

International Regular
I can't look past Vaughan's three hundreds against a comprehensively better attack while his team were being beaten up by an ATG team. Cook's series was amazing too but saying it was better because it was in a winning cause is like saying Viv Richards was a better bat than Brian Lara because the former played in a better team.

Vaughan 02/03 is right up there with Flintoff's 05 Ashes for best test series by an Englishman since Botham's 81 Ashes in my opinion. There are other candidates too.

And think Cook's 2012 India series beats 2010/11 Aus by a nose.

Last edited: