• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary complaints thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
Love how all the BBC panelists are now having to row back on all their pre match "banter" where they were treating it as a forgone conclusion that England would win
Reckon Rio Ferdinand was being overconfident in a sort of childlishly happy way, but most of it wasn't this at all imo. Linekar's first comment was 'how nervous are you?'

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reckon Rio Ferdinand was being overconfident in a sort of childlishly happy way, but most of it wasn't this at all imo. Linekar's first comment was 'how nervous are you?'
Fair enough. Came across as a bit disengenous to me. But yeah, Ferdinand the worst offender.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
On both channels they’re going on about this great young team just like they were three years ago.
'Great' would have been much too strong, but it's not unreasonable to look for positives after reaching their first WC semi in 28 years and then their first final in 55 years.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
'Great' would have been much too strong, but it's not unreasonable to look for positives after reaching their first WC semi in 28 years and then their first final in 55 years.
It’s two good tournaments by our low standards, but it was hard to see what they were raving about after the negative team selection, 118 minutes of creating absolutely nothing, including a soul destroying second half performance. If Sven or Hodgson had produced such a wretched performance they would be slaughtered.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s two good tournaments by our low standards, but it was hard to see what they were raving about after the negative team selection, 118 minutes of creating absolutely nothing, including a soul destroying second half performance. If Sven or Hodgson had produced such a wretched performance they would be slaughtered.
Granted I didn't watch any of the punditry at all, so I won't prolong this beyond suggesting that they could only play as well as very good opponents let them.

Looking forward, I suspect the next WC, being played in Qatar, will be dominated by teams who keep possession better than we do, so maybe Spain as an outside bet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sven or Hodgson didn’t get us to a semi never mind a final. Even if we’d gone down five nil I doubt Southgate would be slaughtered. But an England side that loses a final by such a fine margin is never going to be lambasted

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sven or Hodgson didn’t get us to a semi never mind a final. Even if we’d gone down five nil I doubt Southgate would be slaughtered. But an England side that loses a final by such a fine margin is never going to be lambasted
They didn't, but Southgate has had kind draws in the knockouts of both tournaments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They didn't, but Southgate has had kind draws in the knockouts of both tournaments.
We won our group which contained the WC runners up, then we beat Germany. The Germany of old? No but still Germany. Ukraine were fodder but we dispatched them in a way a Sven England wouldn’t have (Ecuador, anyone?) and then an emotionally charged Denmark in the semis. Hardly a doddle, and anyway you can only beat what’s in front of you