• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever/Amusing Sledges you have heard while playing

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Several years ago I was opening the batting in the first game of the season. We were playing against a team of younger guys (16 - 17 years old) who were good, but relatively inexperienced.

At drinks, after the first hour, I was 83*. I had hit 70-odd runs in boundaries. The young opening bowler had thought if he bowled fast and short that would intimate me enough to make a rash shot. :D

Anyway, after hitting him all over (and out) of the park, I played and missed at a couple of balls pitched up outside off stump, and then missed hooking a short one.

My partner at the other end wandered up and said, "You are really getting him steamed up, he reckons your a lucky son-on-a-b*t*h, and he'll give you a ball to remember." ...or words to that effect.

The next ball was fast,just short of a length, and on the off stump. I rocked back on the back foot and pulled the ball into the trees over the mid-wicket boundary.

The young bowler went red and the face and let fly with a few choice remarks, I just grinned and him and said, "Was that your mystery ball?"

I went on to get my first century, 113 runs, and had my best season ever.

I haved lived on this story for years LOL.

neal

Cricket Spectator
bradman2005 said:
I dont get it why is that sledge so bad
Sangakara was implying that harbhajan is a chucker... which is bit hypocritical though since his teammate is M.M.
I think his action had just been reported at that time.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
From the bradman days,
Young punk bowling against Don Bradmans Bowral 11.
Unfortunatly the guy who Opens the bowling is a stutterer.
Bowls first ball and gets wicket, bbbbb bbb bb beauty 1 ffff fff ff f for nn n nnnn n none
Bowls second ball and gets a nick,bbbbb bb b beauty 2 fff fff fffff fff f for nn nn n none
Iiii am o o o o on a a H hhhh hatri hatrick (in comes the Don to face the hatrick ball)
Run out, yyy yyyesss ggg gg g got hh him,yyy y you bbb bbb b beauty 3 fff ff for 490.

:clap:

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
simmy said:
Great post boys!

I was playing in a heated league match and a rather chubby guy waddles out...

I say to him "Oi... youre too fat for batting... but we need a new roller" (feeling very smug and proud for giving out as good as they gave me)

He replies "Im fat because everytime I screw your mother she gives me a biscuit!"

I trudge back to the covers with all the slips laughing at me... funny though... just not at the time!
I dont think you said that. I read in a book that Glenn McGrath said the same thing to Zimbabwe batter Brandes who replied that line but instead of mother he said wife.

Last edited:

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
neal said:
Sangakara was implying that harbhajan is a chucker... which is bit hypocritical though since his teammate is M.M.
I think his action had just been reported at that time.
Ok thanx for clearing that up for me,yea that does seem a bit over the top and hypocritical by Sangakara but Murli has copped plenty of abuse and proberly much worse than that :cool:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay. I came in to bat at number 11 today against Trinity, who were being absolute ******s (can i say that here?). Anyway, the first ball, from a spinner, pitched about half way down the pitch and didn't bounce, so I went to heave it for four and ended up with what I admit was a pretty spastic shot. So the guy at bat pad was like, "Good shot mate," in a really stupid, sarcastic voice. The next ball was full pitched and I swept it for four. When I was walking back to my crease, I just said to the bat pad, "Was that shot ****ing good enough for you?" And to follow it up, after I got a single, the number 10 hit two huge consecutive sixes. Dead silence :D

andyc

Robertinho said:
I was fielding at gully and the batsman came out, and one guy said, "Let's get him out guys" :laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

That sounds like these guys, they were pretty bloody stupid.
At one stage, the first slipsman asked why the third drop didn't bat like he was at that stage in the first innings (we were all out for about 120, and then followed on and scored 2/150 off 20 overs), and encouraged him to play a shot. The next ball, the batsman edged it to first slip, who dropped it. Again, dead silence :D

cameeel

International Captain
andyc said:
Okay. I came in to bat at number 11 today against Trinity, who were being absolute ******s (can i say that here?). Anyway, the first ball, from a spinner, pitched about half way down the pitch and didn't bounce, so I went to heave it for four and ended up with what I admit was a pretty spastic shot. So the guy at bat pad was like, "Good shot mate," in a really stupid, sarcastic voice. The next ball was full pitched and I swept it for four. When I was walking back to my crease, I just said to the bat pad, "Was that shot ****ing good enough for you?" And to follow it up, after I got a single, the number 10 hit two huge consecutive sixes. Dead silence :D
10 & 11 hitting boundaries, how far down do you guys bat? :blink:

andyc

cameeel said:
10 & 11 hitting boundaries, how far down do you guys bat? :blink:
Well it is a school team so the whole team can bat well enough, but we've only got about 4 actual batsmen, the rest are part timers who like a bit of a hit.

cameeel

International Captain
andyc said:
Well it is a school team so the whole team can bat well enough, but we've only got about 4 actual batsmen, the rest are part timers who like a bit of a hit.
Not like us then, our last 4 batsmen made a total of 4 runs, in a team score of 9-147

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This isn't so much a sledge as it is an amusing incident.

A few years ago I was captaining a team of younger guys against a team who were my age or older. Experienced cricketers have learnt how to get under the skin of inexperienced ones so I always had my work cut out for me.

Anyway, we were in a bad situation with about 7 wickets down for not many in the 2nd innings and chasing a few, when one of my young fast bowlers joined me at the crease. He was a quiet kid who never fired up at all (strange, because he was bowler LOL).

One of the older guys in the slips got in his ear and sledged him each time he was on strike. The sledging got more and more personal until it denegrated into verbal abuse as he swung and missed most deliveries he faced. Finally, the young guy had had enough and told him to 'shut-up'. The slips fieldsman then called my young bowler a 'little c**t'.

I immediately complained to the umpire who chastised the fieldsman...and that would have been the finish of it had the young guy not told his mother about it at the next break.

She stormed over to the other team and called the slips fieldsman every filthy word she could think of, then slapped him in the face.

Needless to say, my young bowler copped it from his team mates everytime his mum showed up from then on.

King_Ponting

International Regular
on that note. I remeber back when i was playing U10's, oneof the not so talented batsman in our team got hit in the ****. well quick as a flash this mother comes running out onto the feild, pulls down his whites and checks to see if it was alrite..... haha. well as u can imagine the whole ground errupted with childish giggles...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A wicket falls, and this weed of a guy with glasses comes on to bat, holding it with a weird grip.
"Let`s send chess club back to the library."
He made 52.

A trial game against the U-15 for school, and *insert name* came in to open the batting. He got me out for 47 last innings. My first ball is a bouncer, hits him on the shoulder. He looks at me and says "What have you got to say for yourself?" It was a pretty weird comment, so I thought about it and said "Penis, penis, penis." The next ball, I came in, he backs away and I hit him on the toe in front of leg. :D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
My mate is really into the lame cliches of "More leaves than a tree" and "More swings than a playground" etc. Sick of this, we told him to come up with something original. So next match he starts sledging the batsmen in the worst French you will ever hear in your life. Turns out he translated all his cliches into French and wrote them on his hand so he wouldn't forget them. Everyone was in stitches, including the batsman and the umpires :p