• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class of 2004

Sehwag309

Banned
Crazy Sam said:
for tests, my 'class of 2004' would be the entire, current australian test team, and my odi team as follows:

Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Lehmann, Clarke, Watson, Kasper, Gillespie, McGrath.

I don't care much for opposition players and would probably never consider them in any 'best of' team i pick, except of course for the rest-of-world teams.
You forgot to add Bucknor and bowden

:p OK..Just Kidding

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
My Class of 2004 would be -

Sehwag
Langer
Lara
Martyn
Thorpe
Flintoff
Sangakkara (wicket keeper)
Gillespie
Kasparawicz
Kumble
Harmison

Unlucky to miss - Michael Clarke

Kumble over Warne, because Warne's so called great impact in 2004 was largely due to the exaggerated effect of the 26 wickets in 3 tests against SL . His performance outside of this were not extra-ordinary and in India he was outdone by the Indian spinners !! (in fact even in SL Murali took 28 wickets against a batting side of the quality of Australia as opposed to Warnies wickets being against lesser quality batting !!)

Kumble took 68 wickets in 11 tests and his performances were Match winning more often !! Hence he edges Warnie into the class of 2004 , IMO.

Sangakkara has scored 1114 in 11 matches and even if the score of 270 against Zim 3rd XI is taken out, he still comes up having had a better year than Gilly who has undoubtedly had one of his leaner years in tests in 2004. (Gilly - 12 matches 720 runs Average 36.00)

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Actually I would have thought that Kallas had a much better tour of India and Sri Lanka then Kallis did (Kallis only had a good tour of India).

As for Kallis' dominating WI, that was mainly in 2003 (not 2004), barring one Test.

Maybe in for Lara yes, I don't see how he would make it front of Martyn.
I assume you mean Martyn had a better tour of India than Kallis, and yes I agree, and if you read my post I never said anything to disagree with that. I merely said that Kallis had a better year allround than Martyn. To put it simply:

Kallis in 2004 - 1055 runs in 17 innings @ 87.91 (62.05 runs per innings)
Martyn in 2004 - 1110 runs in 23 innings @ 50.45 (48.26 runs per innings)
Kallis has 4 centuries and 6 50's, Martyn had 4 and 5.

NB. this doesn't include their innings in the Tests currently being played (Aus v Pak + RSA v Eng), but since Martyn scored 1 and Kallis 0 it doesn't have much effect on their overall record. Given they have played similar opposition in 2004 i think the superiority of Kallis' record over Martyn's in this period is self-evident - perhaps you are picking Martyn because he has played more of a matchwinning role than Kallis in 2004. If this is your logic I would suggest that there is no need to pick a matchwinner in a team already full of them (i.e. your 2004 world XI), hence consistency of run-scoring should be the most important factor.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Adamc said:
I assume you mean Martyn had a better tour of India than Kallis, and yes I agree, and if you read my post I never said anything to disagree with that. I merely said that Kallis had a better year allround than Martyn. To put it simply:

NB. this doesn't include their innings in the Tests currently being played (Aus v Pak + RSA v Eng), but since Martyn scored 1 and Kallis 0 it doesn't have much effect on their overall record. Given they have played similar opposition in 2004 i think the superiority of Kallis' record over Martyn's in this period is self-evident - perhaps you are picking Martyn because he has played more of a matchwinning role than Kallis in 2004. If this is your logic I would suggest that there is no need to pick a matchwinner in a team already full of them (i.e. your 2004 world XI), hence consistency of run-scoring should be the most important factor.
Would you be able to gather Lara's record of 2004 too? I'm curious, as I have unfortunately not seen much of Lara this year.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Would you be able to gather Lara's record of 2004 too? I'm curious, as I have unfortunately not seen much of Lara this year.
Lara - (2004) 12 matches , 21 innings , Not out -1, Runs 1178, Average 58.90, Highest score 400 :) , other 2 centuries 120,115 (Total 3 centuries, 4 half centuries)

If you were trying to prove a point re-Lara, you have succeeded IMO, because if you take the 400 innings out, the rest of the years performance looks fairly ordinary !!

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:
Kallis over Martyn for me. Martyn had a few good months but Kallis has had big scores right throughout the year.
martyn has performed a lot better than most people give him credit for, i wonder how many other players have averaged over 40 in every one of their last 7 test series?

tooextracool

International Coach
JASON said:
Kumble over Warne, because Warne's so called great impact in 2004 was largely due to the exaggerated effect of the 26 wickets in 3 tests against SL . His performance outside of this were not extra-ordinary and in India he was outdone by the Indian spinners !! (in fact even in SL Murali took 28 wickets against a batting side of the quality of Australia as opposed to Warnies wickets being against lesser quality batting !!)
you seriously must be joking.
the SL batting lineup is in no way inferior to the aussie batting lineup, not at home. jayasuriya averages abt 46, sangakkara averages 47, jayawardhene averages 58, samaraweera averages 62, attapattu averages 40. the Sri lankans are much better players of spin than australia are, i can assure you.

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:

which is why both of them should be in the side ahead of lara....

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
you seriously must be joking.
the SL batting lineup is in no way inferior to the aussie batting lineup, not at home. jayasuriya averages abt 46, sangakkara averages 47, jayawardhene averages 58, samaraweera averages 62, attapattu averages 40. the Sri lankans are much better players of spin than australia are, i can assure you.
ya and s.warne was able to get those people out by realy working hard??

ReallyCrazy

Banned
1. langer
2. sehwag
3. dravid (c)
4. kallis
5. Martyn
6. Flintoff
7. Gilchrist (wk)
8. Warne
9. Kumble
10. Kasprowicz
11. Harmison

I'm playing two spinners warne and kumble in the same team. We all know how good they are. As for the new ball bowlers, its Harmison and Kasprowicz. They have both been in great form this year. Kallis and Flintoff are good bowlers who can give support when needed. That's a total of 6 bowlers who can be relied upon to get important breakthroughs.

This team can also bat till #7 (#8 Warne is too bad either). It was hard to make a selection between Sangakkara and Gilchrist. But I finally went with Gilchrist. I wanted an aggressive player at #7 after the top order had done their part.

What do you guys think of this team? Comments please..........

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
ya and s.warne was able to get those people out by realy working hard??
he bowled well enough to get them out, as was evident for those who watched that series. the pitches assisted him of course, but thats not the argument, the point is that it would be ridiculous to classify the SL batsman as being inferior to the aussies against spin at home.

Craig

World Traveller
SirBloody Idiot said:
I would rank Martyn and Kallis ahead of somebody like Thorpe...
Have you actually looked at his performances with the bat? They surprised me when I was researching my team.

Craig

World Traveller
Crazy Sam said:
for tests, my 'class of 2004' would be the entire, current australian test team, and my odi team as follows:

Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Lehmann, Clarke, Watson, Kasper, Gillespie, McGrath.

I don't care much for opposition players and would probably never consider them in any 'best of' team i pick, except of course for the rest-of-world teams.
Hey Sherlock since when has Watson played a Test match? And Symonds did nothing.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Have you actually looked at his performances with the bat? They surprised me when I was researching my team.
Yes I have.

03/04 was at 40, and 04 was at around 60 odd.

But, my belief is that Martyn and Kallis have batted better because of the fact of the conditions they have played in. While Thorpe has batted mostly at home against the inferior test attacks of WI and NZ, Martyn has had to deal with touring Sri Lanka and India.

Craig

World Traveller
SirBloody Idiot said:
Yes I have.

03/04 was at 40, and 04 was at around 60 odd.

But, my belief is that Martyn and Kallis have batted better because of the fact of the conditions they have played in. While Thorpe has batted mostly at home against the inferior test attacks of WI and NZ, Martyn has had to deal with touring Sri Lanka and India.
And that is why I included both Martyn and Thorpe.

If I were to do my side agains I would have Kallis at three instead of Lara which I have said.

Craig

World Traveller
SirBloody Idiot said:
He says his test team would be the Aussie one and that's his OD one he showed.

Bit too ****y.
Even then I wouldn't pick Watson in there.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. Chris Gayle
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Damien Martyn
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Adam Gilchrist (keeper/captain)
8. Shane Warne
9. Irfan Pathan
10. Muttiah Muralitharan