• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Broad

Coronis

International Coach
So an interesting player I’ve noticed in some stats a lot recently.. Chris Broad. He was before my time and I never see him mentioned much.

Does he have much of a story? Bloke averages 57 away with 6 tons and a fifty in 20 innings, but averages just 26 with 5 fifties in 24 innings at home. Was he lucky with weak attacks or just couldn’t work his game at the highest level in English conditions?

Chin Music

First Class Debutant
So an interesting player I’ve noticed in some stats a lot recently.. Chris Broad. He was before my time and I never see him mentioned much.

Does he have much of a story? Bloke averages 57 away with 6 tons and a fifty in 20 innings, but averages just 26 with 5 fifties in 24 innings at home. Was he lucky with weak attacks or just couldn’t work his game at the highest level in English conditions?
His zenith was the 86/87 Ashes series. Didn't do so well against West Indies in 88 or Pakistan the previous year. So it was more that he struggled against high class bowling in England. Actually didn't do badly against Windies in 84 in an otherwise disastrous test series.

shortpitched713

International Captain

The away average doesn't lie. Clearly he is the GOAT.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
He was a tall and (at least as I recall) a predominantly back foot player whose game may well have been suited to harder wickets outside England. He cashed in against weaker Australian sides in the late 80s.

Brook's side

International Debutant
I think Stuart Broad deserves consideration in a discussion of the great bowlers of the English game.
Important part of an Ashes victory in Australia.
So many devastating spells, and important ones too.
His stats are slightly unfavourable compared to some others, but he played in a high run scoring era. I'd guess that not many English bowlers with a high quantity of wickets have had a strike rate of 54 against Australia. His last 5 years he had great figures.
Just a poor record in the sub-continent really.

Brook's side

International Debutant
I can't remember whether there was a suggestion he was involved in that fake Pietersen twitter account or if that was someone else, but we'll probably never know the truth about that one way or the other.

Brook's side

International Debutant
Genuinely don;t know why this came up in my feed. Wasn't intended to bump anything.

Regardless, Broad's in England legend territory for me (the other issue mentioned notwithstanding if applicable).
Last few seasons took him up a couple of levels for me.

His dad deserved a longer career. He was one of a few in that era, including Robin Smith, who were cut off too early.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Genuinely don;t know why this came up in my feed. Wasn't intended to bump anything.

Regardless, Broad's in England legend territory for me (the other issue mentioned notwithstanding if applicable).
Last few seasons took him up a couple of levels for me.

His dad deserved a longer career. He was one of a few in that era, including Robin Smith, who were cut off too early.
He was banned for going on the 1990 rebel tour of SA.

Brook's side

International Debutant
Bill Athey
Kim Barnett
Alan Wells
David Graveney
:laughing:

Gatting bowling 16 overs 2nd change.
What was the point??

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't know that. But some players played again after that?
Gatting for one, but am sure there were others?
Emburey played a test or two after the SA tour. Ditto Paiul Jarvis. As for Broad, I suppose Atherton and Stewart had come along, and Gooch played until 1994/95. I don't know when Broad retired from the county game. but he must have been getting on a bit by the mid 1990s.

EDIT
He retired at the end of the 1994 season with a hip injury.