• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell-Hadlee Trophy announced

Kent

State 12th Man
NZ is to get 3 ODIs against the world champs every summer! Sort of like cricket's answer to rugby's Bledisloe Cup I guess. I'll post a print story when google news finds one.

A shame there isn't say a biennial test series, but I guess we'll never have the sort of cricketing history that gets old foes like England such frequent contact.

This is still very exciting - now we get the chance to hear Bill Lawry and co. write us off every summer!

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It had to happen...NZ play a series in every other sport imaginable against Australia so why not cricket aswell?

In the last 3 years NZ have at least shown they can compete with Australia in ODI's which is a far cry from what happened during the mid 90's.
I think the NZC are heading in the right direction..usually any event against an Australian team sells out so that means a good cash injection next year when Australia return the favour here.

And if NZ can improve in ODI cricket, it'll mean there will be more bums on seats for the ACB too. Probably a better fixture idea than that Super Challenge.

Kent

State 12th Man
Agreed, but getting only 2 tests in Oz after our good showing there in '01 is a bit disappointing.

It's a tough call, but I would've liked to see NZ get the Boxing Day test at the expense of Pakistan. Sadly Wellington's good crowds at our own BD fixture will probably exclude us from playing at the MCG for a very long time.

Deja moo

International Captain
Tim said:
And if NZ can improve in ODI cricket, it'll mean there will be more bums on seats for the ACB too. Probably a better fixture idea than that Super Challenge.

yeah ,it is a better idea than the Super challenge.
All Australia could do in the super challenge was to draw with Safrica and lose tp Pakistan.

Now they can have a chance of winning something.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you not read the entire article Kent...the ACB could only allow 2 tests this year because of tight scheduling. They said that it's almost 99% certain that we'll go back to a 3 test series after this year.

It might be a good omen that Australia have struggled in these challenge series before.

tooextracool

International Coach
they could have called it the trans tasman trophy instead but it does sound like a good idea, hopefully better than the super challenge.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well yeah that was the previous trophy, but to be honest it has never meant anything really. NZ's cricket in the 90's really threw away any chance of the series becoming something meaningful.

I guess this way they're starting fresh & its common to name a trophy after a former player(s) these days.
3 ODI's is enough for me...that way it's not going to be done to death every year.

Kent

State 12th Man
The Trans-Tasman Trophy is held by the most recent winner of a test series, so it still exists I assume.

I didn't realise the Aussies were coming here next autumn, so I guess that means we'll have two cracks at getting it off them.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The players must know it exists..but do the fans? a high percentage wouldn't have a clue. They need to start a-fresh & give the test series some importance. It's difficult to make it on par with a Bledisloe Cup match but they could do much better than what they're at currently.

NZ of course will need to play their part..starting by playing competitive cricket consistently against Australia.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This could be the fixture that decides the top ODI Team in world cricket today, considering SA's decline and NZ's rise in both forms of the game.

Australian rugby owes NZ a big favour for raising the standard to the point of winning 2 world cups, now its Australia's turn to help NZ come on par in Test and ODI cricket.

Whether this will progress to the point of NZ teams joining the PURA CUP is another interesting thought. (since this already happens in League, Union, Basket Ball,soccer etc.)

This is long overdue and will help overcome the shameful memory of the incident that has haunted Australia's premier sporting family.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I read in that Age article that there are also discussions going on about domestic, 'A' & youth schedules or tours.

There is every chance that next year in Feb...NZ 'A' will play Aus 'A' in a series here.

Loony BoB

International Captain
JASON said:
This could be the fixture that decides the top ODI Team in world cricket today, considering SA's decline and NZ's rise in both forms of the game.

Australian rugby owes NZ a big favour for raising the standard to the point of winning 2 world cups, now its Australia's turn to help NZ come on par in Test and ODI cricket.

Whether this will progress to the point of NZ teams joining the PURA CUP is another interesting thought. (since this already happens in League, Union, Basket Ball,soccer etc.)

This is long overdue and will help overcome the shameful memory of the incident that has haunted Australia's premier sporting family.
I agree with everything in that post, actually - it would be great to see a combined domestic season. Although the domestic NZ teams would undoubtedly get pummelled at the start, I imagine over time, much like the Warriors, NZ would get a handle on things and start competing. Terrific idea. Even better would be to start off with just two teams - North and South. I love North vs. South games. I'm such a competitive sod - I love seeing people representing my college, suburb, city, island or country win. And dammit, I'll stick by 'em all my life, too.

Rich2001

International Captain
Quite amazing....

Nearly everyone is complaining there is too much cricket inculding the Australian captain Ricky Ponting who is also saying things are to hectic, so to help the situation they add a new cup in that is played every single year :wacko:

However from a purley cricketing opinion I will certianly be looking forward to the series each year as the two teams produce some of the best series.

But just one question why has it been done? nowhere really seems to explain why the series has been created more just saying it has, also will it be rotated each year ie playing in Aus then in NZ? :wacko:

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
I agree with everything in that post, actually - it would be great to see a combined domestic season. Although the domestic NZ teams would undoubtedly get pummelled at the start, I imagine over time, much like the Warriors, NZ would get a handle on things and start competing. Terrific idea. Even better would be to start off with just two teams - North and South. I love North vs. South games. I'm such a competitive sod - I love seeing people representing my college, suburb, city, island or country win. And dammit, I'll stick by 'em all my life, too.
in reality a Nth & Sth or 'A' squad is probably all that NZ would have the player base for without being totally humiliated or gutting their own domestic comp...............

anzac

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
Quite amazing....

Nearly everyone is complaining there is too much cricket inculding the Australian captain Ricky Ponting who is also saying things are to hectic, so to help the situation they add a new cup in that is played every single year :wacko:

However from a purley cricketing opinion I will certianly be looking forward to the series each year as the two teams produce some of the best series.

But just one question why has it been done? nowhere really seems to explain why the series has been created more just saying it has, also will it be rotated each year ie playing in Aus then in NZ? :wacko:

perhaps the respective boards know something we do not re the future scheduling / planning regarding the international calendars - who knows we could be without a couple of Test nations shortly.......

or alternatively maybe they could be taking some affirmative action off their own bat to force the ICC to rethink the schedules - a local competitive clash is cheaper & better revenue than touring away to BAN / ZIM, and if they can work the scheduling to give it some precedence then thay can say to the ICC that they are unavailable during this period & actually use the series as a bit of a break, rather than increase the season load.........