• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
In summary so far we know he is a South African bowler who is unique in all First class cricket being born in SA, and not having played Tests or ODIs. His uniqueness is because of his family (not to do with any of his achievement in SA first class cricket or in another sport)!!

Q14

If his uniqueness is because of his family, is that because members of his family play cricket in another country perhaps ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
In summary so far we know he is a South African bowler who is unique in all First class cricket being born in SA, and not having played Tests or ODIs. His uniqueness is because of his family (not to do with any of his achievement in SA first class cricket or in another sport)!!

Q14

If his uniqueness is because of his family, is that because members of his family play cricket in another country perhaps ?
Q 14 NO

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Q15

Is he a third generation cricketer ? (ie his father and grandfather also playing first class cricket)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is the next hint (I dont know if its of much use though :) _

He has played only one first class game.

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
Hi.

Actually this became like this because one person just asked me a question and said he was going to do it although it was in the same thread. So I thought okay let see how it works out. :p

I thought it was fun. I enjoyed both answering the queries and trying to guess Marc's series. I think you guys would have enjoyed it too.
- It was very interactive and I could almost visualise Sudeep and the others trying to rule out this and that and trying to zero in. It was almost like all those solving the puzzle were working as a team.
- It was clearly an excercisse in getting to the answer by an individuals thinking rather than plain resorting to search engines which I feel is the main flaw in the other one.
- The queries as well as answers came pretty fast, within minutes and this kept a person from going away or made them come back (if they could of course). In the earlier format at times we gave up or the questioner just went away due to inactivity
- The problem of time zones remains in both formats but I suppose in the new one, the speed of the wole interaction is important so a break really spoils it.

Thats it . But I really thought it was fun and would get beyyer if structured for which I have some ideas but you guys have to decide. 8-)
It's definitely fun. But the time constraint factor comes into the picture. For example, if I had to ask a question, there's no way I'd be able to confirm your queries during 8-8 IST, as I wouldn't have access to the internet for that time period of the day. There would be others with similar limitations, which makes me think it might not work long term...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Here's my question still on the old format (although I will endeavour to give clues if no-one gets them ).

Question -

In a Test series, marred by controversies in umpiring the fielding Team had a bowler who took bad sportsmanship to the extreme (after being no-balled and showing his displeasure several times) by running close to the umpire , so close that the batsman couldn't see him, and shouldering the umpire heavily. He ended up being suspended later. But the fielding Team refused to take the field after Tea on the third day and were finally persuaded to return 12 minutes late . Which Test or even which Teams ?

Clue - Bryce the answer is very close to home for you !
Since it looks like SJS has gone for awhile, if we do not hear from him in the next couple of hours, Can we revert to this question ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
:
Sudeep said:
Lundi Xhongo - The only first class cricketer with last name beginning with 'X'?
:thumbup1: Absolutely Correct :thumbup1:

:notworthy : Great Job :notworthy

:clapping: :clapping::clapping:

I came across his name when I thought of making an all time team starting from each alphabet...and guess what :-O

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
It's definitely fun. But the time constraint factor comes into the picture. For example, if I had to ask a question, there's no way I'd be able to confirm your queries during 8-8 IST, as I wouldn't have access to the internet for that time period of the day. There would be others with similar limitations, which makes me think it might not work long term...
I have some ideas about the format which might make it possible but not right now. Gotta go :scooter:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Here's my question still on the old format (although I will endeavour to give clues if no-one gets them ).

Question -

In a Test series, marred by controversies in umpiring the fielding Team had a bowler who took bad sportsmanship to the extreme (after being no-balled and showing his displeasure several times) by running close to the umpire , so close that the batsman couldn't see him, and shouldering the umpire heavily. He ended up being suspended later. But the fielding Team refused to take the field after Tea on the third day and were finally persuaded to return 12 minutes late . Which Test or even which Teams ?

Clue - Bryce the answer is very close to home for you !
Since We have compled that question, can we revert to this question in the old format now?

Sudeep

International Captain
JASON said:
Since We have compled that question, can we revert to this question in the old format now?
I had a question in mind, and I was the one who got the latest question correct. But anyway, whatever everyone else wishes...

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
:

:thumbup1: Absolutely Correct :thumbup1:

:notworthy : Great Job :notworthy

:clapping: :clapping::clapping:

I came across his name when I thought of making an all time team starting from each alphabet...and guess what :-O
Before getting the hints "family" and "only one match", I thought I was spot on with Achmat Magiet.

I don't think there's been a bowler who picked up his first three wickets without conceding a run. Has there? I might be wrong...

Magiet, too like Xhongo, has played only one first-class match, and his record reads an average of 0.00, having picked up three wickets. Doesn't that reek of awesomeness?

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep said:
I had a question in mind, and I was the one who got the latest question correct. But anyway, whatever everyone else wishes...
Feel free to post your question.

This question was posted in the morning(my time) after SJS had retired for the night at Question 11 of his 20 QM type questions.

In view of the long gap without any questions and not having SJS to finish off that Question for several hours I posted this question. Hence my asumption to go onto this question.

Anyway, this question can stay dormant and we can go onto your question.
Obviously if at stage in the future we have no question on line, we can revert to this !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep said:
Which wicket-keeper has the highest stumpings to catches ratio in Test cricket?
Bert Oldfield the record holder for the most stumpings in Test cricket for nearly seven decades !!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Which wicket-keeper has the highest stumpings to catches ratio in Test cricket?
VIJAY YADAV !!

He has 2 stumpings and 1 catch which gives the highest stumpings to catches ratio by far for any test keepers career !!

Sorry Jason :p

Sudeep

International Captain
Actually, I didn't notice, but I framed the question wrongly... For someone, who's played more than 10 Tests...