• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling leg spin

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I'm trying to bowl leg spin but I just can't get it to work. I've got the grip all worked out (I think) but the release is going horrible. I'm trying to bowl the stock delivery (leg break, obviously). You have to rotate your wrist whilst ****ed anti clockwise and deliver it, using your fingers to get extra spin. The problem is that I can't do this. My middle finger 'catches' the ball and instead backs it spin backwards (like a fast bowlers' bouncer).

Any tips? Surely there's got to be some leggies here (or at least a coach or 2..)

:mellow:

cameeel

International Captain
I've got a similar problem, except every single ball comes out as a quite good wrong-un, but i can't bowl a leg break at all

simmy

International Regular
I've always been able to spin the ball and it comes really naturally to me so i might not be able to help you generate turn initially.

Once you can spin it though, I find a good way of getting more turn and accuracy is whilst jogging up to the crease to face the back of your hand down the track ie towards the batsman, thus your wrist is given more "time" to turn. I'm actually quite jealous that you can get some extra bounce though!

Also make sure you have a really lose grip on the ball so that you are literally barely holding it.

Just practice with a tennis ball.

ash chaulk

International Captain
leg spin question.... i can make the ball spin if i dart the ball in but when i flight it the ball travels straight any tips on that?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Suggests your wrist position changes between the two different actions - try to focus on keeping your hand/wrist action the same when you look to flight it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
cameeel said:
I've got a similar problem, except every single ball comes out as a quite good wrong-un, but i can't bowl a leg break at all
Ah I remembed I had that problem when I was 10 and was obsessed with wanting to be a leg spinner. Eventually fixed it, but at the age of 13 I joined a club and decided to become a first change medium pacer. Then the next time I played club cricket was this season as a leggie. Took a while to convince my captain that I was any good though. But had a nice 11 over spell last Saturday reaping 2-34 when the opposition were going at 5.25 an over. :D

Last edited:

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
simmy said:
Also make sure you have a really lose grip on the ball so that you are literally barely holding it.
I've always found that a loose grip doesn't allow me to impart as much sidespin. I like the Stuart MacGill method of "Grip it hard, rip it hard"

Hoggy31

International Captain
Darren has told me that his inducker often slides down leg side, is there any way to fix this?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a co-ordination problem.

You posted the the question in 'Off Topic' - try the cricket forum.

open365

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
It's a co-ordination problem.

You posted the the question in 'Off Topic' - try the cricket forum.
Wow,i'm amazed you resisted making a joke about Neil and leg spin...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
You'd think that using the words 'Neil' and 'leg spin' in such close proximity would be akin to trying to touch like poles of a pair of bar magnets, wouldn't you?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
open365 said:
I checked into the thread thinking of what Eddie would have to say about Neil and his leg spin..

On a different note, it is great to have Eddie posting regularly on the forum. :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The other thing I'd check is to see where your bowling arm ends up after you release the ball. Make sure you bring it right across your body, to encourage the wrist coming across the top of the ball.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I reckon most of the time with leg-spin, of you`ve got it, you`ve got it. But if you don`t have much natural talent, then screw it.

I can`t bowl spin at all. :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd think that using the words 'Neil' and 'leg spin' in such close proximity would be akin to trying to touch like poles of a pair of bar magnets, wouldn't you?
"DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!"

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, interesting article. Some tips there that i'd take up if i ever get back to playing cricket (not played in at least 4 years)

I'm an alright leg spin bowler, or at least was when i last tried (dont think bowling a rubber ball down the hall at the letterbox really counts). Got good accuracy (I used to bowl medium pace, wicked line, but little else in my favour), and can get it to spin a decent amount. Only problem really is consistancy. However for some reason i can bowl a very mean googly, pretty much always accurate, and actually turns more than my leggie does. Think that comes from my grip, as its not conventional. I find it easier to grip the ball between thumb and 1st two fingers, and use my thumb to help aid the spin.

Cant bowl offspin to save my life though