• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attack with most variety!

wahindiawah

Banned
Have a look at this.

Lft arm fast:Zaheer
Lft arm medium:Nehra
RT arm Fast : Ajit Agarkar
RT arm medium:Youhannan
Off Spinner :Harbhajan
Leggie: Kumble
Lft Arm spinner:Kartik.

This must be a unique attack, all kind of bowlers in one team, can u imagine that?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Just kidding :)

Man, every one from sports.com seems to be here, luckyE, wahindiawah, warrior, bigvince, oyesachin, godsachin, anil, baq, myself (and some that I might have missed).

where did wrecker go? he was the one who made me come here. And some notables missing: wazza, coon, legglancer, esky, perfect Mo etc (greatIndia too :)

Just a stupid post this one, reminiscing the sports.com days

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
haha Zaheer Khan - left arm fast!?
right arm fast - Ajit Agarkar!?
i think your being a little too generous mate

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have a look at this.

Lft arm fast:Zaheer
Lft arm medium:Nehra
RT arm Fast : Ajit Agarkar
RT arm medium:Youhannan
Off Spinner :Harbhajan
Leggie: Kumble
Lft Arm spinner:Kartik.

This must be a unique attack, all kind of bowlers in one team, can u imagine that?

Yeah, now all they need is a chucker and they'll be set...

;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
the only good part from that is only 1 or 2 is good from that list they rest are come and go ..

who cares about variety ? what matters is if u can perform in the game ... CONSISTENTLY

anzac

International Debutant
ok guys now that we have rightly written off the Indian attack:

1. who do we think currently has the best attack?

2. what do we consider the ideal balance / variety to be used?

my picks:
1. Pakistan (just don't ask me to put any money on them - lol)

2. Genuine pace, spin & swing are ideal, with a 4th as either F/Med or Med/F to exploit any life. A lefty is also desired to change the angle of attack.

This backed up by at least 1 - 2 part timers at Med - Slow (with or without any swing / movement), to tie down an end and make the batsmen force the pace.

regards

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at the attacks most likely for the World Cup:

Obviously Pakistan have the most lethal attack with Shoaib, Akram, Younis, Saqlain, Razzaq, Mahmood & Sami.

I'd say Australia are next if McGrath, Gillespie, Warne & Lee are all in good form they'll crush most batting teams or leave them with little to fight with.

Next its South Africa who will rely on Pollock to do alot of the damage, Boje will have to perform because he is really their only option of spin. But obviously with Ntini, Kallis, Klusener etc backing up they'll be difficult to get away.

New Zealand are building quite a good bowling attack with a bit of pace for once. Bond, Butler, Cairns & Adams are all on the upperside of 140 k's at times. But alot will rest on Vettori who has been a little inconsistent of late. Harris & Astle will probably have to do the donkey work but can be effective by frustrating the opposition into giving up their wicket.

Next is England, who seem to also be building up a good attack but still not on the same level as Aus, Pak or S.A and then a little further behind NZ. Gough, Caddick & Hoggard will be quite a dangerous grouping and so will Jones if he develops. Concerns will be however over Giles who is probably not the best of spinners.

Sri Lanka - Lets be honest, Murali leads the charge for the Sri Lankans and without him they lose their sting, Vaas will have to also be on form to cause some trouble at the top of the innings.

The West Indies & India are fairly equal in the bowling departments, although the West Indies have probably more pace while India have the better spinners. I think both these countries bowlers will just have to try & support their batsmen in defending or restricing a good score.

Zimbabwe - I thought Zimbabwe at one stage were building a good attack but they've fallen off the pace, Streak & Friend are quite lively but there's no back-up & they'll need a few miracles to get them through.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
yup, I agree with most of Tim's observations 'cept for:

I would not put SA so high up. I'd put NZ, Eng and maybe even SL above their bowling attack. Reason is, in ODIs the best of bowlers still get only the 10 overs. Pollock won't be able to carry the burden singlehandedly. Right now, they dont seem to have that much depth. I mentioned SL, because Zoysa, and Fernando are also capable bowlers. Arguably the worlds best current bowler, supported by four good pacemen,and Jayasuriya, Mahela and Arnold, looks good to me. Lets see how they perform.

I think Zim does have some good pacemen. And they always produce good spinners. Consistancy is their problem.

anzac

International Debutant
ok - so how do we rate the attacks for the 5 day game ( a truer test perhaps - hence the name !!!!)

hint - while I do consider Australia to have the 2nd best 'lethal'attack, I do not rate them so high as an 'ideal' attack.

The 5th & back up bowling positions are dodgy in ODI - lack of variety in the attack???

in the test matches I also reckon there is a lack of variety & back up - I liked it better with Fleming in. I also like to see someone like Harvey in the 5 day game.
(it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing......)

and any comments on my percieved ideal attack???

:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The most varied and quality attack in cricket(test or one day) belongs to Pakistan. A great left arm fast bowler(arguably the greatest) in Wasim Akram, a great right arm fast bowler in Waqar Younis, a potentially great fast bowler in-the-making, Shoaib Akhtar, young hopefuls with great potential like Mohammed Sami, two very good medium pacers in Razzaq and Mehmood, good spinners in Shoaib Malik and Saqlain Mushtaq. I probably missed out on some of the young hopefuls, but the names I have listed above itself make the attack quite formidable.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
India do have variety, i mean even without Nath and Prasad they have an attack that is threatening.What they lack is consistency, i mean people will laugh when i will mention Ajit's name, but the fact is that he appears to be unplayable in some games, yet gets hammering in others!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
India have variety, but they're not potent enough especially the seamers.

Its good to have variety but if they're not going to be effective then it gets cancelled out.

wahindiawah

Banned
Give the pacers two yrs, as they lack experiance.Khan,Nehra and Youhannan will be a force to reckon with in two yrs.