• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better bowling combo

Better Duo

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Which would be the better bowling combo the world over, while also having a viable no. 8?

McGrath (2) and Imran (6)
Or
Hadlee (3) and Steyn (4)

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Which would be the better bowling combo the world over, while also having a viable no. 8?

McGrath (2) and Imran (6)
Or
Hadlee (3) and Steyn (4)
Hadlee and Steyn better bowling pair (albeit barely) but McGrath/Imran wins on being a better batting unit.

subshakerz

International Coach
McGrath and Imran are a better bowling combo anyways. Tighter with the new ball and Imran is better with reverse.

Steyn is hot and cold so one day Hadlee and him will run through a side, the other day he will be release all the pressure Hadlee builds.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm honestly not sure.

Think McGrath and Steyn is the best bowling attack, period. But Hadlee isn't that far behind Pigeon and brings the extra batting, and that's noting that my preference for McGrath, might just be that, a preference.

I think the gap between Steyn and Imran is larger than the gap between McGrath and Hadlee... So think that's my preference at this moment???

But open to different perspectives

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm honestly not sure.

Think McGrath and Steyn is the best bowling attack, period. But Hadlee isn't that far behind Pigeon and brings the extra batting, and that's noting that my preference for McGrath, might just be that, a preference.

I think the gap between Steyn and Imran is larger than the gap between McGrath and Hadlee... So think that's my preference at this moment???

But open to different perspectives
Steyn is a bit better as new ball bowler than Imran. Imran is a bit better with old ball than Steyn and less expensive. Once you add batting, it is clearly Imran and McGrath.

Hadlee and McGrath would be best bowling attack.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn is a bit better as new ball bowler than Imran. Imran is a bit better with old ball than Steyn and less expensive. Once you add batting, it is clearly Imran and McGrath.

Hadlee and McGrath would be best bowling attack.
Hadlee and McGrath seems a bit to similar and one of them would be coming on 1st change so would prefer someone who specialized with reverse swing.

And yes, your position and preference was known prior to posting the poll 🤣

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Hadlee + Steyn are cumulatively slightly better individual bowlers, but Imran and Mcgrath is a bit more varied plus slightly better batting, so voting that way.

Mcgrath + Steyn would be the best bowling combo (variety again), but the worst pick if including batting.

Hadlee + Imran might be the second worst bowling combo after Steyn + Imran (also might beat Hadlee + Mcgrath or Hadlee + Steyn on variety, not sure), but runs away with the batting- best overall pick.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hadlee and McGrath seems a bit to similar and one of them would be coming on 1st change so would prefer someone who specialized with reverse swing.

And yes, your position and preference was known prior to posting the poll 🤣
Lol why not have the reverse swinger come on 1st change?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee + Steyn are cumulatively slightly better individual bowlers, but Imran and Mcgrath is a bit more varied plus slightly better batting, so voting that way.

Mcgrath + Steyn would be the best bowling combo (variety again), but the worst pick if including batting.

Hadlee + Imran might be the second worst bowling combo after Steyn + Imran (also might beat Hadlee + Mcgrath or Hadlee + Steyn on variety, not sure), but runs away with the batting- best overall pick.
Yeah, McGrath and Steyn definely the best bowling attack, and would have all 3 pacers from different eras which is preferred, but also the weakest batting lineup. But if they are 10 and 11, is it that much of a factor?

If I were the GM and it was my job on the line I think I would either just go with the best out attack or the Hadlee and Steyn combo and I think I trust Steyn away from home more than Imran.

But McGrath is a proven winner and style wise complements the other bowlers so much better.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, McGrath and Steyn definely the best bowling attack, and would have all 3 pacers from different eras which is preferred, but also the weakest batting lineup. But if they are 10 and 11, is it that much of a factor?

If I were the GM and it was my job on the line I think I would either just go with the best out attack or the Hadlee and Steyn combo and I think I trust Steyn away from home more than Imran.

But McGrath is a proven winner and style wise complements the other bowlers so much better.
How many matches have we seen rescued By even mediocre lower orders recently? Or that likely would likely have been rescued with a stronger lower order? Feels like we are averaging nearly one per competitive series.

A bit of extra bowling isn't making as much difference at this level- the worst bowling combo of these 4 is outperforming the best probably 40% of the time anyway (less in this case as it isn't the worst combo). Of the 20% delta, you aren't swinging many matches- it's got to be a very close one to actually change a result, in a very narrow range where one attack would get it done but the other wouldn't.